Reviews Categories | Voice Keyers | Idiom Press/Ham Supply LogiTALKER Voice Keyer Help

Reviews Summary for Idiom Press/Ham Supply LogiTALKER Voice Keyer
Idiom Press/Ham Supply LogiTALKER Voice Keyer Reviews: 11 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $199.95
Description: The LogiTALKER is a stand-alone voice keyer that goes between your radio and your microphone. It uses your regular microphone to record up to four messages to be played back at the touch of a button. It's the simple, easy- to-use, inexpensive way to save your voice in a contest! One message can be set to auto-repeat, which is perfect for running stations, or as a voice beacon, or for calling CQ automatically as a band opens.

The LogiTALKER works with just about any microphone, dynamic or condenser, that has an eight-pin round plug or an eight- pin modular plug. It can be reconfigured for a different brand of radio by reconfiguring jumpers, so your LogiTALKER isn't tied to just one radio.

Features

• Can be easily configured for nearly any modern microphone or radio
  • Message #1 can be configured to repeat at any interval from 2 seconds to 266 seconds, or the repeat can be switched off
  • Messages are recorded with your regular microphone
  • Audio output is transformer-isolated -- no ground loops
  • Simple front-panel output level control
  • Microphone still works completely normally, including up/down buttons etc.
  • Message replay can be instantly stopped by pressing PTT
  • Messages can be recorded without a radio connected
  • Messages can be reviewed over the internal speaker without being transmitted
  • Messages are stored in nonvolatile memory -- no battery backup

Design

The LogiTALKER was invented by Allen Baker KG4JJH, who wanted a compact and simple device to save his voice in contests. The result was his design that he called the Vocal Keyer, which was featured in an article in the June 2009 issue of QST. With the addition of a few features and a custom enclosure, the Vocal Keyer became the LogiTALKER. The Logi-TALKER is based on an integrated circuit, the HK828, that provides high quality single-chip record and playback. The HK828 integrates many of the components necessary for a voice keyer, including an oscillator, microphone preamp, automatic gain control, antialiasing filter, smoothing filter, speaker amplifier, and nonvolatile memory. Because so many functions are provided by one integrated circuit, the LogiTALKER delivers first-rate performance at a very competitive price.

Specifications

• Overall Dimensions (excluding cables): 1.75" x 7.375" x 4" / 4.5 cm x 19 cm x 10 cm
  • Weight: 14 oz / 0.4 kg
  • DC Power requirements: 13.8 VDC (nominal) < 200mA
  • Microphone Input Voltage: 30mV peak-to-peak, maximum
  • PTT contact rating: 2 A @ 30 VDC, maximum
  • Input connectors: 8-pin modular (RJ45), 8-pin round "Foster"
  • Output connector: 8-pin modular (RJ45)

Message Mode Sampling Rate Input Bandwidth Message Length

• 2 messages 8.0 kHz 4.0 kHz 2 x 16 sec
  • 4 messages 6.4 kHz 3.2 kHz 4 x 10 sec
  • Product is in production.
    More info: http://www.hamsupply.com/logitalker/

You can write your own review of the Idiom Press/Ham Supply LogiTALKER Voice Keyer.

W0GJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2015 11:25 Send this review to a friend
    Fast service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
    Hamsupply.com just bought Idiom Press. I ordered my LogiTALKER on line the week before the transfer. After waiting a few weeks, I followed the links and found Hamsupply.com and called. VERY FAST & courteous service and shipping. Very nice little unit! I got it to drive my FlexRadio 1500 for QRP contesting.

W1MRQ Rating: 0/5 Feb 17, 2014 05:10 Send this review to a friend
    Missing parts  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
    Logitalker is a commercially produced product but mine was missing a critical jumper that made it work. How on earth did they test this unit, as I bought the wired and tested version.

W1MRQ Rating: 0/5 Feb 15, 2014 18:17 Send this review to a friend
    REceived non operational  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
    I ordered a LogiTalker and received it a few days later. However it was dead from the box. Idiom Press cannot be contacted for assistance, do not respond to emails. I have been trying for 3 months. I will never know how good this unit is

KG4RUL Rating: 3/5 Nov 14, 2013 05:05 Send this review to a friend
    Almost perfect  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
    Functionally it does every thing as advertised. Construction and configuration for use with my TS2000 was straightforward and easy. However the 8 Pin modular connector on the factory purchased radio cable was of poor quality and the locking tab broke off almost immediately. E-Mails to Idiom brought no response.

ZL1LC Rating: 0/5 Nov 13, 2013 15:57 Send this review to a friend
    May be a great product but very poor service  Time owned: months
    The product may be great, but I will never know. Paid for one that never arrived. Emailed Idiom Press several times and never got a reply.

I guess I'll have to get one shipped somewhere in the USA and pick it up some time, as it sounds just what I need.

Jim, ZL1LC

NT9E Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2013 15:33 Send this review to a friend
    Fantastic!  Time owned: more than 12 months
    I bought the kit in 2011 and finally got around to putting it together in March of this year. Went together in no time and worked the 1st time I powered it up as well. I was able to use it in the ARRL June VHF, Field Day, and the CQ VHF contests this year with my IC-9100. Worked flawlessly. My only other comment would be for Idiom Press to modifiy the design so one could initiate the CW memories in my 9100 as well.

I love building kits!

VE6EFR Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2013 09:01 Send this review to a friend
    Outstanding Voice Keyer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
    After using a voice keyer during the RAC Winter contest I decided that I wanted to add one to my HF station. I looked at what was available and sent off a few emails to the various manufacturers. What made me decide to go with the LogiTALKER was not the price but Rob W7GH from Idiom Press. MFJ and a few other companies sent me a very professional reply. Rob was professional, but he also was able to relate to me as both a customer and fellow amateur radio operator. It was this personal touch that made me decide to give the LogiTALKER a try.

I ordered the LogiTALKER on the 26th of February and it shipped out the next day. It got to Canadian Customs on March 5th. For reasons unknown they held the item until the 16th but after it was released I received the package on March 20th.

Prior to getting the LogiTALKER in the mail I downloaded the manual from the Idiom Press website. This let me become familiar with the setup process. My radio wasn't listed but Rob confirmed how I should wire the LogiTALKER for my Icom 751. Setup took about 10 minutes and the LogiTALKER worked perfectly out of the gate. One thing I noticed was that the recorded audio sounded distorted through the built in speaker when I tried to transmit a test message over the air. I turned on the monitor function in the radio itself and it sounded crystal clear. What was happening is a little RF was getting into the LogiTALKER when I had the cover off. However once I placed the cover back on the unit everything worked as it should.

I am quite pleased with my purchase and would highly recommend the LogiTALKER to anyone looking to add a voice keyer to their station.

ZL3DW Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2012 01:09 Send this review to a friend
    Great voice keyer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
    I wanted a voice keyer to save my voice in contests and because I get bored calling CQ on a quiet band. I had some trouble getting one and had to order it twice and also emailed the original designer, but it arrived today and I am very pleased with it. I bought the made up version rather than the kit. It is very well made, the documentation is very good, the setup was a breeze all the jumpers were already set for my FT-847 but easy to change anyway. Recording is easy and very sensitive, I had to hold the mic a bit further away to avoid distortion. It modulates the rig and sounds exactly the same on the monitor as the mic straight through. Now I wait for the next contest but I am sure it will help.

F4UKP Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2011 09:34 Send this review to a friend
    Great kit !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
    I had been looking for a voicekeyer for some time. To be honnest there is no much choice if you want something you can use without a computer. MFJ products are hard to get in europe and overpriced once the price was converted into euros ...

I ordered that kit online from Rob. Delivery took some time but this is what was anounced at the time of ordering.

The kit is of high quality (slightly under elecraft kits). Only one resistor was missing, no big deal ! If you take it seriouesly, with part-inventory it will take no more that 3 hours to build the kit. Once finished the voice keyer worked right away and the finished product looks great !

Assembly and user guides are provided with the kit.

Rob delivered the wrong cable to my transceiver (elecraft K2), but promptly shipped the right cable at no additional cost.

I'm very satisfied with my purchase and the final price my banked charged was 117 including S&H to France

VE5CPU Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2011 09:49 Send this review to a friend
    Excellent digital voice keyer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
    I have been a CT Digital Voice Keyer (DVK) user for more than 15 years and have been very happy with it the whole time. Problem is, 15 years later you can't readily find a computer with an ISA slot and the DOS world is a piece of computer history for the majority of computer users.

Wanting to move into a more current piece of desktop computing hardware and even moving from CT and into Writelog full time for contesting, I was in the market for a new digital voice keyer.

After a lot of research I settled on the LogiTALKER from Idion Press. The folks at Idiom Press took a design from Allen Baker - KG4JJH, who invented the device and turned it into a high quality kit.

They also offer a pre-built model for a small increase in price for those who are not interested in kit building. Idiom Press supports world wide sales and had no issues shipping the kit into Canada by mail, the most cost effective way to get the kit from the US. Current pricing is available on their web site ($120 as a kit, or $150 assembled and tested at the time of purchase).

The kit building part was what sealed the deal for me. I like to be as familiar as possible with such ham radio peripherals and kit building is one of the best ways to achieve that.

The Idiom Press kit was first class and used high quality parts throughout the project. The kit
    contents were complete and the instructions were well written. Even someone with minimum kit
    building skills should have no issues building this kit. I think the only thing to note that it
    does use modern parts that are pretty petite, so a good quality soldering iron is recommended and
    some of "us" will find a lighted magnify lens a useful tool... especially for inspection for bad
    solder joints.

The kit went together in a few leisurely hours. The author of the instructions, Rob Locher W7GH,
    shows the experience of assembling the kits on a regular basis. I really liked the fact that his building methods start with having the smallest parts closest to the board installed first and then the next level of board height is added. This means there are no conflicts to workaround with the soldering tip in terms of large parts and small parts being adjacent to each other.

A full inspection of the solder joins is warranted for any kit and this will pick up on any weak or cold solder joins before you get to the testing phase. I found a couple that needed touch up despite being very careful.

Once the component assembly is done, there are a few key test points to check that the board has been assembled correctly. A simple VOM meter is all that is needed. Once verified, you install the integrated circuits (ICs) and then proceed to the installation of the board into the supplied project case. These last few steps are very simple.

Once the board is mounted into the case you them move to the owners manual for initial setup of functions (beep and delay settings) and configuration for you radio. You are then ready for initial testing of the devices functions... record, playback, delay, etc. The device support contesting as message #1 is designed to repeat and the repeat cycle is controlled via the Delay control on the front.

Although the device is designed to be a free standing voice keyer and functions with the press of one of the message buttons on the front of the case, it can also be controlled from you computer.

There is a 6 pin header that offer access to messages 1 through 4 as well as +5V and Ground. The instructions actually have a circuit diagram to show how to configure the old style parallel port to drive the message buttons. This method is used by many of the older DOS programs like CT and NA.

You will also find some of the current windows logging / contesting software that still supports
    this interface method. In my case Writelog supports this. You only need a few parts to build the circuit - an opto coupler, 4 10k resistors and 1 1K resistor as well as the breadboard material and connectors like head pins and a DB25 connector. This moves from the realm of kit building into being able to create a circuit from a high level circuit diagram.

Apparently there is also the possibility for a mixer circuit for people who use headphones and don't have sidetone from the radio. That is not documented, but Rob would be able to provide the details.

The kit does have an internal speaker so you can preview the recorded audio. As with most small
    speakers it is a bit limited in quality, but suitable for its purpose. In my initial testing and first use, I did find having the speaker on all the time to be an annoyance so I added a miniature toggle switch to be able to turn it on and off. That of course required a hole to be drilled into the case. Use a nice sharp bit so you don't mare the case.

If you are considering adding the computer interface that will require its own hole in the back of the case and if you also consider the headphone mixer it too will need its own hold. The good news is there is plenty of room on the back of the case for such options.

The proof of any pudding is in the eating and so the real test is on-air. I have received good
    reports from the testing I have done with comments that the audio is comparable to my live mike.

With that result, I can now retire my CT DVK to a secondary roll and have LogiTALKER take on the
    main duties of a contest voice keyer here at my station.

In short, highly recommended!

PS: It would be nice if Idiom Press could make available small circuit boards or complete kits for these options. I hate to use the "dead bug" method to add an element to such a nice professional looking device, even where that option is covered by the case... I still know it's there!

Bart Ritchie, VE5CPU