Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | Yaesu FT-100D Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-100D
Yaesu FT-100D Reviews: 193 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $1,200.00
Description: HF MOBILE

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-100D.

MI6NOS Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2015 15:02 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked one of these up second hand and have it installed in my car for mobile use. I have it running with an Atas 120a and this works great, also if using 2m/70cm I'd recommend a separate antenna for this use as the Atas ain't all that good for hf/vhf but will still work all the same, just not a very good distance. Just make sure you have a good earth to the antenna mount on the car or the Atas will not move/tune. Anyway, back to the FT-100D:) I've had some good strong contacts all round Europe and have listened to many stations state side but have only owned this rig for a short while so still plenty of time to get more in the log. This unit is great, 100w HF, 50w UHF and 20w VHF and amazing from such a small rig. It has a great DSP setting to quiet things down and a load of other settings so you have plenty to play with. Very impressed with this little rig so it's got my vote:)
HA7WX Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2015 09:52 Send this review to a friend
Better than the 857D  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
In 2 words BTW and IMO: awesome rig (in its category).
I agree with W8NIC.
Knock on wood: no rig has ever failed on me. Because i care for them.
And yes, some of them are not so tough, and need more care.
I have used my FT-100D for short QSOs at full power or at reduced PWR for longer ones. Also, i am not using this one in hot temperature conditions.
This way i hope to use mine for years without problems.
I have had 2 857Ds and the 100D is the last one DC-to-light kinda rig i own. I must say that the 100D has better audio on either TX or RX (although you will need the optional AM filter to be good on AM).
The only cons i could find:
- it needs more care than the 857D ;
- it has antenna connector tails and that can be annoying (not at a home QTH) ;
- for the s-meter watchers, it can be frustrating that it will only show any signal when these are indeed strong at V and UHF.
- some of the older ones will need the 50 ohm resistor mod to allow continuous fan cooling over 70 mhz (i did it, no soldering involved, rig not modified in itself).
- V/UHF finals not manufactured anymore, but a good tech will overcome a final failure with some replacement transistors and the necessary tuning.

Bottom line: I highly recommend it for the careful HAMs who like quality rigs. Find a good one and keep it! I almost forgot: it looks pretty too!

W8NIC Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2015 08:04 Send this review to a friend
MAGNIFICENT LITTLE RADIO  Time owned: more than 12 months
No problems here used as base and mobile. Never had any issues and it's still in the shack making dx contacts on cw BAREFOOT! The funny thing is, there are some here that stated they have 2 100d's and both failed in one way or another......well guess what? Does human error come to mind?
SURE! Blame the product and the manufacturer. It's always never the individual who destroys their own radio........
UR5RQA Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2014 10:42 Send this review to a friend
Really Great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own this rig from 2006-*, it was with me on all travel, in different weather conditions even with long very high humidity worked like clock-work.

But for fans of cw I will advise to buy at once 300hz cw filter.

Newer rigs have parts of FT-100D magic, but not all in one as FT-100D has!

Nothing to add more. Great rig.
YO4HGX Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2014 03:19 Send this review to a friend
Still rocks...   Time owned: more than 12 months
Writing a review for a rig that is out of production for so many years may seem pointless, unless you needed such of thing and you’ve seen that the options didn’t change too much lately for mobile/portable section.

As an ex maritime pro operator I’ve played with some expensive radios in my life but for me HAM radio it is (and will always be) a hobby, something that I do for pleasure, looking for the best possible quality without needing to sell a kidney for it. I like to feel as an “amateur”, leaving the big bucks radios for pros. I am an almost exclusively CW/HF operator and there are still plenty old radios out there that will do great for the purpose, and for a fraction of the new big guns prices. My old TS-690SAT has been a good companion onboard many vessels for many years and if was not for the weight and size probably I would have never looked for something else. I went for a while QRP road as /mm, played with homebrewed rigs or kits like the wonderful DSWII or Norcal and, though it’s been fun, due to the ship’s antenna sizes conditions, I felt the need of a small all-in-one rig with all HF bands, all modes, 100W power, something to be a decent compromise between the quality and price.

Some 5-6 years ago the options for a compact HF(VHF/UHF) non-QRP radios were more or less the same as today: IC-7000, IC-706(MKII/G), TS-480SAT, FT-857D and the ones not in production anymore, FT-100D and TS-50S that are still popping up regularly, some in incredibly mint condition. By that time I’ve been looking on the selling pages for a while and if came at the right price probably I would have had an IC-7000 or TS-480 which I liked the most. As they didn’t fit into the budget I ended up with a mint condition FT-100D. But I don’t regret it…

There is not too much I can add to the previous reviews, except that personally I am more then satisfied with what this “car CD-player size” rig offers. Yes, the menu/submenus are a nightmare to start with, but with a little bit of patience and practice you will discover the sequence to get to what you’re interested in a spot. It’s all there, you just have to dig your way in. The standard TCXO makes it rock stabile, the AF DSP (DNR-noise reduction, DNF-notch, DBP-band pass filter) actually works and make a real difference. The CW filter 500Hz is a must for any serious CW operator and it is available standard… and things gets to an unexpected level with the (optional) 300Hz filter. Who would have thought that this little tiny rig still have room for an extra slot for a such of big size filter?... However, the receiver is not that noise free as some other suggested and the DSP does not do miracles. Get a short vertical antenna in a noisy day or get near a very strong signal and you’re out of the game (unless you’re having the optional 300Hz filter). For TX I received nothing but excellent reports, even with shorted antennas 100W being more then enough in combination with the best possible ground – salted water. This little radio faced all the possible abuses, kicked and smashed while inside the luggage, hot and wet environment, full power TX with no mercy… and here it is still on my table, doing what is suppose to do.

One thing that seems that nobody felt like to point and even myself i have discovered only recently. The internal CW keyer is great. It has iambic memory, inter letter auto-space and, something that I personally always looked for, it does allow adjusting the weight INDEPENDENTLY for dots and dits. You can find the right combination for the “music” you want your CW to sound like. Well, here it ends the good news… if you get out of the 1/3 line, the inter letter auto-space will become useless and the message recorded in the memory will sound like a joke.

One in all I love my FT-100D… too bad I’m using only a fraction from what it offers.

HB9FBD Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2014 11:14 Send this review to a friend
Great radio for value  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own this rig since 2005, I used almost in HF and I must say it is a great station for portable use. It is not the best rig to connect to a large beam, but it has small dimensions and behaves very good if used with verticals and dipoles.

For AM the 6kHz filter is a must, the CW 500Hz filter is ok and the DSP Passband/Noise reduction help extremely in a crowded band.

Unfortunately you cannot install both 6kHz and 300Hz filters. The IF is quite high (11.7Mhz)and the filters work as expected. I misses sometimes a tuner.

It hasn't any direct preamplifier but you can set the "IPO" limiting the receiver amplification.

With the functions "IPO, ATT and RF Gain" you will get out from any improper situation.

Another plus is represented by the head separation (20ft). Very useful when placed just below your antenna.

If you find one for 600-700$, just take it. You will not be disappointed.

N0RPW Rating: 4/5 Dec 22, 2013 11:47 Send this review to a friend
So far so good  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased my 100d on ebay bout 2 years ago and I mostly use it up at the hunting cabin. It has had all the factory mods done to it and it functions fantastic. Great reciver and good audio reports always. Only reason I gave it a 4 is because AM is totally useless unless the optional 117-A filter is installed. A filter that should of been included from the factory imo.
KC8RTU Rating: 4/5 Nov 6, 2013 07:12 Send this review to a friend
Cool nice  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought new mobile use only, the noise blanker works good excellent on hf easy to tune Hi-sea. a little hard on 6 meters tuning.
K4GHR Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2012 17:35 Send this review to a friend
Wow - I Like This Radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked up a used FT-100D via the EHam classifieds. I was looking for a little rig to carry when I travel for portable use. I have to say I am very impressed with this rig. As others have said, the receiver is great and the filters and DSP are very useful. Reports of my transmit audio are excellent. It's easy to use and very versatile, too. No wonder the FT-100D has such a fan base!

I've also tried mine with CAT control via HRD and with my AL-80B amp. All worked great!

Great little radio. I'd buy it again.

Brent / K4GHR
W2NER Rating: 5/5 Aug 29, 2012 11:18 Send this review to a friend
Great radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have looked over most of the bad reviews and I must say, most of the are trivial BS. Too many have high expectations and lets face it, its a mobile radio and it does what it should do. Is it perfect, no, no radio is period. But when you look at what this radio brings to the table, it out ways any negatives you may run into. Like everything else, There is always a bad apple in the bunch along the way.

If you can find one, get it! About $500 is the going price for one in good working order. My take, it's one of the best mobil radios around today. Even at its age!