Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FT-100D Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-100D
Yaesu FT-100D Reviews: 195 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $1,200.00
Description: HF MOBILE
More info: http://yaesu.hamgear.eu/ft-100.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-100D.

K4GHR Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2012 17:35 Send this review to a friend
Wow - I Like This Radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked up a used FT-100D via the EHam classifieds. I was looking for a little rig to carry when I travel for portable use. I have to say I am very impressed with this rig. As others have said, the receiver is great and the filters and DSP are very useful. Reports of my transmit audio are excellent. It's easy to use and very versatile, too. No wonder the FT-100D has such a fan base!

I've also tried mine with CAT control via HRD and with my AL-80B amp. All worked great!

Great little radio. I'd buy it again.

Brent / K4GHR

W2NER Rating: 5/5 Aug 29, 2012 11:18 Send this review to a friend
Great radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have looked over most of the bad reviews and I must say, most of the are trivial BS. Too many have high expectations and lets face it, its a mobile radio and it does what it should do. Is it perfect, no, no radio is period. But when you look at what this radio brings to the table, it out ways any negatives you may run into. Like everything else, There is always a bad apple in the bunch along the way.

If you can find one, get it! About $500 is the going price for one in good working order. My take, it's one of the best mobil radios around today. Even at its age!

WC3O Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2012 10:07 Send this review to a friend
FB on CW  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use a FT-100D for my mobile rig on CW. Iíve had it in the truck for years and it performs VERY well. I too have compared it to the latest Yaesu offerings and think Yaesu lost something in their design. Iíll take the receiver in this 100D over the 857 or 897 any day of the week. I like the larger screen. The DSP is better than the DSP on the current offerings too. The 500 hz CW filter is great. On the DSP I keep the high-cut filter in full time, this almost eliminates any background hiss. (The receive is very quiet to begin with) If things get rough I run the 500 hz filter and if things REALLY get rough I kick in the DSP audio peak filter. There are NO artifacts in the DSP. Sounds great. Again, better than the DSP on the latest crop. I also have an ICOM IC-7000. Love it too, but again, I like the receive on the 100D better. (not that the 7000 is bad). So there you have it. I think that Yaesu may want to take a little trip down memory lane and see what they had before that worked so good. (Same goes for the DSP on my old FT-920 V my FT-2000. The FT-2000 is FB but the ADSP on the 920 is nothing short of fantastic. No, its not IF based DSP but it really works well) TNX DE WC3O

WV6Z Rating: 5/5 May 2, 2012 21:19 Send this review to a friend
Brilliant!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just bought the second one of these that I have owned day before yesterday. Best $300 I have ever spent. I have spent these past few years between FT 100D #1 & #2 running it's successor, a FT 857D....... there is NO comparison between the two and I will do everything I can to be sure I am not without a 100D in future. I would own another 857D and it was a good little rig, but they are not, and never will be a FT 100D.

SA3AYF Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2012 13:48 Send this review to a friend
Lots of bang for the buck!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought one used unit to have for vaccation and field day's (where I do not want to drag my IC-7600 trough the mud) and had no big expectations.
I owned a FT-857D earlier and sold it because I did not like the small, useless, display and I found the reciever to be rather cheap, the transmitter to be rubbish and the radio to be very unreliable in general.

This display is big enough, simple and crystal clear.
The receiver is moore than good, the receiver is GREAT!

It is allmost (without the dsp-power of my IC-7600) as good as it gets and allmost as good as my Icom.

And that for the price of a new powercable for the 7600....

Also, both tx & rx on 2m / 70cm is flawlessly equally great.

I would buy another in a heartbeat if needed!

And that from a guy who'd NOT buy another unit of it's sucessor the FT-857D even if my life depended on it.

VE3FST Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2011 19:35 Send this review to a friend
Awesome DX Radio in a small package !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use my FT100D all the time on HF . I have talked everywhere in the world with many compliments on this radio . I use it as a mobile station also sometimes . I'd tell anyone to purchase one of these in a heart beat . 73's Peter

W8NIC Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2010 10:02 Send this review to a friend
FANTASTIC  Time owned: more than 12 months
just a follow up since my last review (Jan. 2009).
almost 2 years of daily use and it's still a great performer, mostly cw. nice and compact both for home and mobile, quieter than my 706mkiig which i sold already, smaller screen not an issue.
this radio just keeps on ticking.
2 meter works just fine and so does 440.
as i said in my last review, i will never get rid of this.

KG6EPI Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2010 23:09 Send this review to a friend
Excellent radio.  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a great little radio for any ham to own.

WA9Z Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2010 12:53 Send this review to a friend
Good mobile set.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought used with no RF power on V/UHF, and drawing about 2.5A keyed. On bench found heat stress crack at the solder joint of U/V driver output. Repaired that, enabled the wideband TX jumper settings, installed the AM filter and touched up the alignment. Has been flawless for 4 years now. I operate HF/V/U, SSB/CW&FM mobile. It's a blast with an FT-100. I think these radios get the bad rap from windbags that get on repeaters with it running full power and proceed to carry on with half hour dissertations of drivel that render about 12 seconds of useful information, then deposit the same drivel here via keyboard because they babble cooked a radio designed for 50% duty cycle.(owners manual Page 59) I find the supplemental DSP and filtering to be adequate in hostile mobile environments, decent menus with plenty of useful whiz-bang, and a great value. If you are considering one of these now discontinued sets for all band use, confirm its got full power out on the upper bands. Decks with no V/U RF output should be checked for the above mentioned failure condition. I have had a few come in with this issue that were condemned by "service centers" as having a bad final, which by the way, is no longer available. Just keep its limitations in perspective and you'll have a good return on the money.

OK1RP Rating: 5/5 Jul 14, 2010 08:55 Send this review to a friend
Very good performance...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am using the FT-100D for 2 years on portable.

Pros:
- quiet receiver (really unbelievable)
- DSP really works
- additional 300Hz filter
- enough size of the main tuning knob (colatte it to 817...)
- compact size

Cons:
- fan mod needed (older ver.)
- PSU voltage sensitive (watch to not go under 12.2V)
- phones/key jack allocation is distressful
- creaky removable front panel (in my case)

It offer very good performance if You have respect to it's compact size, wide bands/modes capability and imperative compromise design !

Compare to other mobiles I am rating it 5.

73 - Petr, OK1RP