Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | AlexLoop Walkham Portable HF Small Magnetic Loop Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for AlexLoop Walkham Portable HF Small Magnetic Loop Antenna
AlexLoop Walkham Portable HF Small Magnetic Loop Antenna Reviews: 54 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $129-299 USD
Description: The AlexLoop Walkham is a Small Magnetic Loop Antenna designed by Alex - PY1AHD after nine years of field tests with more than 800 confirmed QRP DXs.
The new model goes on a small cushioned bag designed to accommodate 3 small 15 inches pieces that can be easily assembled and disassembled in less than a minute.
It has a registered record on 17 meters on the Hall of Fame of the Hfpack group - http://hfpack.com/hall/ connected to a FT817 QRP transceiver.
It is the ultimate solution for those hams who loves to be on the air anytime and anywhere and for those living with limited space.
It covers continuously any frequency between 7 MHz to 30 MHz and can be quickie and easily installed on a window or a balcony. And can go to your vacation or business travel.
It is so light that you can even walk and talk holding in your hand while tune it with your thumb.
The maximum recommended power is 20 watts SSB or 10 watts AM/FM
More info: http://www.alexloop.com/

You can write your own review of the AlexLoop Walkham Portable HF Small Magnetic Loop Antenna.

PA3CWQ Rating: 4/5 May 17, 2014 09:10 Send this review to a friend
5/5  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
It gives me a lot of fun working QRP in digital mode like JT65HF during my Holiday’s and also from my QTH of course. In May I was in Spain near Moraira Costa Blanca in JM08BR. I am always traveling with my qrp-rig, the Yeasu FT-817 (with a little accu) and my Alex loop. This loop gives me a lot of fun, only a little bag in my suitcase and I am qrv from 10 to 40 meter. I was calling cq on 14.076 MHz with 5 watt and John VK7XX was coming back for me. That gives me a lot of fun.

AD0DQ Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2014 07:30 Send this review to a friend
Best Portable Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this unit without recognizing that it has a 25 watt power output limitation. When I discovered I was limited to 25 watts out, I was really upset about that (but that was my fault, not AlexLoop). But we had a special event (W0O -- Frankenstein MO) and I took my Alex Loop and worked PSK from Frankenstein, MO. I set the unit out in the yard, ran 25 feet of RG58U to it, tuned it with an MFJ259, and went to work on 20 meters. I made dozens of contacts on 20 meters from Florida to Seattle with band conditions that were less than optimum. I did that on 25 watts, and felt like I had better performance from the loop than I would likely have had from a dipole or some other temporary or portable 20 meter antenna. I would recommend this antenna for anyone who needs a portable and functional QRP antenna, with the understanding that you need to stay below 25 watts.

K7RNO Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2013 22:05 Send this review to a friend
A gem of a portable antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Below are tons of reviews with QSO reports, so I'll spare you with that.

What I feel the need to address are these points:

1. Even if your rig has an ATU built in, resist the temptation to use it. You would do yourself a disservice. Your ATU will not and cannot tune the actual loop. You must tune the loop with its integrated tuner or you will leave power on the table! I put my ATU on bypass.

2. To get a solid mount, you want to have a base with the proper outer diameter to JUST fit inside the black pipe. The super lightweight (i.e., super flimsy!) Vivitar tripod's center column is too thin and needs an adapter that you can build with something in your junk box. Be creative, and duct tape is only one solution.
For better support, consider a heavier (i.e., more stable) tripod with a thicker column that might just fit out of the box. But for hiking, that light Vivitar thingie is hard to beat.

3. To speed up tuning from band to band even more, I use a modified knob with a 360° scale, which I calibrated to know the values for the individual bands. In my case, particularly the 17m sweet spot is often nearly impossible to hear, so calibration helps a lot. I posted an image here:
The +/- column on my labels shows the bandwidth in kHz above and below the tuned f that I found doesn’t require retuning.

4. Follow Alex's recommendation to fine-tune the loop with just your fingertips. This way you avoid your fingers influencing the capacitor and detuning it some when you withdraw your hand.

5. This antenna is a blast! There will always be more efficient and less compromised ones, but none of those are as quickly set up and as versatile. Well done, Alex!

ON6KE Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2013 00:40 Send this review to a friend
I must be MAD!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi everyone,
I must be MAD, totally bunkers, gaga, I ordered a Walkham loop this morning, 385 US$ shipping included, PLUS 21% if Belgian customs sees fit to add tax to it!

I sure hope the loop works extremely well.
By the way did anyone notice that there are 2 language errors on the English version of the tuning unit?

'recIEve' and 'trasmit'.

KJ4FUU Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2013 08:56 Send this review to a friend
Works even better than expected  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna is easy to set up and take down, and gives me a little bit of directional capability also. I've taken it out to the back yard for a couple of weekends, and had some success reaching some state QSO parties and special event stations.

My first time out the takedown speed became a major plus, because it started to rain. I quickly disconnected the radio and put it in the waterproof box. The Alexloop easily came down within 5 minutes, giving me time to haul everything inside before it started pouring down hard.

Tuning, even without an antenna analyzer, is simple.

I would recommend the Alexloop to anyone who likes to operate portable, or is restricted by the HOA from putting up a full-sized antenna.

WW4MSK Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2013 18:09 Send this review to a friend
Great QRP portable antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been using with decent success end fed wire antennas for portable and maritime mobile QRP with my KX3. In my search for another type of antenna to use, I came across various YouTube videos of people using magnetic loop antennas. It seemed to fit what I needed, something lightweight, easy to deploy/takedown and work on most bands I use.

From order to delivery took a little more than a week from Brazil to the USA. Alex provided a tracking number and once clearing US customs arrived nicely packaged. I had my radio ready to go on the deck outside, and from unboxing to first contact was less than 5 minutes. Not bad for being completely unfamiliar with the antenna, and I now could have it set up within a minute or two.

First contacts were from Georgia to the midwest on 20 meters, psk31 and 5 watts. Good signal reports were received and I then hunted for some DX. Reached Venezuela, Brazil and the Canary Islands quickly. I did not have much time to work it more, and plans are to find out what it can do in a true portable situation.

In closing, I was skeptical at first and put quite a bit of faith in the number of great reviews for the AlexLoop. Early in the use of the antenna I have found all prior reviews to be accurate description of the performance of this antenna. I'll do a follow-up review in 6 months as that should be enough time for more portable & maritime mobile operations.

EA3HSO Rating: 5/5 Oct 28, 2013 08:45 Send this review to a friend
Big antenna performance!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought mine about a month ago and didn't have time to go out and test it.
So yesterday, at the end on the WW CQ contest, I set up on my deck with FT817nd with internal batteries (2.5w) and the Alex Loop.
In an hour full of strong signal pileups I managed to work 2 us stations (W4RM - 6533.6 km, KA2EYH - 4399.8) and stations from the Canary Islands, Latvia, Cyprus, Romania and Bulgaria.
All in the middle of a lot of screaming big signals.
Directivity is not brutal but enough to feel some gain difference.
Tuner circuit works great and is really easy to get used to.
Tuning is really sharp, but after some use it's easy to find the sweet spot by ear.
Sets up in 30 seconds, stores in about the same time.
Still need to do some testing in the mountains, but its performance in the middle of urban Barcelona blew my mind.
And without the hassle of radials...
I thing my other portable antennas are going to see some dust. In the closet!

73.

N0BOF Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2013 17:27 Send this review to a friend
Simply Amazing!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm usually not a contest participant but I chose the CQ World Wide DX SSB contest to check out the Alexloop. This was the first time I had it out of the nicely made case. The setup took about 5 minutes and I was hooked up to my KX3. Tuning was as simple as turning a knob and listening. With no more than 5 watts of power, I made contacts with dozens of stateside stations (including Alaska & Hi)and the following DX....Aland Islands, Poland, Ukraine, Russia, Germany, Estonia, Scotland, Canada, Azores, Latvia.
This was all done sitting in a recliner, with the Alexloop next to me on a tripod, in my daughters first floor apt surrounded by numerous commercial buildings. All I can say is yes, this thing works as advertised! I think I found my new SOTA antenna.

WA6KYR Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2013 16:20 Send this review to a friend
Convenient and portable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have used the Alex Loop for a few months and I find it so convenient that it is the one I take when I travel or do a SOTA.
The amazing thing is how well it works. I have made qsos all over the United States and Europe and South America from Southern California with 10 watts. The ease of setup and portabilty is the key. Very nicely crafted.
Richard

KC9SXB Rating: 3/5 Oct 10, 2013 06:00 Send this review to a friend
Bought the Alex Loop and the Alpha Loop for comparison  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Alex Loop and Alpha Loop gave me identical results in receive and transmit. For $300, the Alex Loop I bought from eBay (to save on international shipping to the USA, as it is not made in the US) came with the bag and PVC pipe to spread out the coax, and a handle to hold it with. For $300 the Alpha Loop came with a Self Supportive Magnetic Loop Antenna made from Aluminum sections that are easily assembled with a few screws. Also included in the price was a padded field bag with shoulder strap, a nice feature not included with the Alex Loop. Plus the Alpha Loop came with a 6 1/2 foot Aluminum tripod, all of which fit nicely in the bag that has a front padded front pocket large enough for ether my Elecraft KX3 or 817-ND.

As you read more about MLAs, you will likely find out that high voltages are present, so much that it has been stated that people with pace makers should not be close to them while in use. With thoughts of what high voltages does to the body, I'm apprehensive about holding the Alex Loop now that I've learned those are present. The Alpha Loop on the other hand can be placed on a tripod, but I also learned that is too can be hand held or mounted on a pack, because at the very base where you mount it there is a supporting stainless steel 24 x 3/8 bolt. One other design feature (perhaps even flaw?) of the Alex Loop, which is compensated for in the Alpha Loop, is the coaxial feedline seems cross right over the portion of the loop where high voltages are present, where the Alpha Loop compensates for this by physically off-setting the feedline away from both the inner and outer loops with a separate black box at the top with a silver plated SO239.