Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | AlexLoop Walkham Portable HF Small Magnetic Loop Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for AlexLoop Walkham Portable HF Small Magnetic Loop Antenna
AlexLoop Walkham Portable HF Small Magnetic Loop Antenna Reviews: 53 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $129-299 USD
Description: The AlexLoop Walkham is a Small Magnetic Loop Antenna designed by Alex - PY1AHD after nine years of field tests with more than 800 confirmed QRP DXs.
The new model goes on a small cushioned bag designed to accommodate 3 small 15 inches pieces that can be easily assembled and disassembled in less than a minute.
It has a registered record on 17 meters on the Hall of Fame of the Hfpack group - http://hfpack.com/hall/ connected to a FT817 QRP transceiver.
It is the ultimate solution for those hams who loves to be on the air anytime and anywhere and for those living with limited space.
It covers continuously any frequency between 7 MHz to 30 MHz and can be quickie and easily installed on a window or a balcony. And can go to your vacation or business travel.
It is so light that you can even walk and talk holding in your hand while tune it with your thumb.
The maximum recommended power is 20 watts SSB or 10 watts AM/FM
More info: http://www.alexloop.com/

You can write your own review of the AlexLoop Walkham Portable HF Small Magnetic Loop Antenna.

AD0DQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2013 15:42 Send this review to a friend
Great portable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this from GigaParts. I had planned to use it in my house in Alabama, but after reading through things a bit more carefully realized it is limited in power capacity and is really intended as a QRP rig. But that was okay with me because I needed something to do PSK when I travel. I travel a lot for work and I am frequently in Hotel rooms where there is no way to mount a dipole or other standard antenna, and often where there is no way to stick one out the window in an inverted V or L configuration. So since the photos show this being stuck out a window, I thought I'd try it.

So today I went to the park, set up under the shelter (it was raining here) and put this on a 5 foot tripod. I tuned 14.070 for PSK and tuned it in the manner specified. I got some great signals from all over the US. It does seem to have good directivity. I noted that certain signals faded to nothing when I turned the loop. I still have to figure out a way to mount the antenna more securely on the tripod, but I think this is an excellent antenna for low power portable operation. I give it five mike clicks.

EA3HSO Rating: 5/5 Oct 28, 2013 08:45 Send this review to a friend
Big antenna performance!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought mine about a month ago and didn't have time to go out and test it.
So yesterday, at the end on the WW CQ contest, I set up on my deck with FT817nd with internal batteries (2.5w) and the Alex Loop.
In an hour full of strong signal pileups I managed to work 2 us stations (W4RM - 6533.6 km, KA2EYH - 4399.8) and stations from the Canary Islands, Latvia, Cyprus, Romania and Bulgaria.
All in the middle of a lot of screaming big signals.
Directivity is not brutal but enough to feel some gain difference.
Tuner circuit works great and is really easy to get used to.
Tuning is really sharp, but after some use it's easy to find the sweet spot by ear.
Sets up in 30 seconds, stores in about the same time.
Still need to do some testing in the mountains, but its performance in the middle of urban Barcelona blew my mind.
And without the hassle of radials...
I thing my other portable antennas are going to see some dust. In the closet!

73.

N0BOF Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2013 17:27 Send this review to a friend
Simply Amazing!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm usually not a contest participant but I chose the CQ World Wide DX SSB contest to check out the Alexloop. This was the first time I had it out of the nicely made case. The setup took about 5 minutes and I was hooked up to my KX3. Tuning was as simple as turning a knob and listening. With no more than 5 watts of power, I made contacts with dozens of stateside stations (including Alaska & Hi)and the following DX....Aland Islands, Poland, Ukraine, Russia, Germany, Estonia, Scotland, Canada, Azores, Latvia.
This was all done sitting in a recliner, with the Alexloop next to me on a tripod, in my daughters first floor apt surrounded by numerous commercial buildings. All I can say is yes, this thing works as advertised! I think I found my new SOTA antenna.

WA6KYR Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2013 16:20 Send this review to a friend
Convenient and portable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have used the Alex Loop for a few months and I find it so convenient that it is the one I take when I travel or do a SOTA.
The amazing thing is how well it works. I have made qsos all over the United States and Europe and South America from Southern California with 10 watts. The ease of setup and portabilty is the key. Very nicely crafted.
Richard

KC9SXB Rating: 3/5 Oct 10, 2013 06:00 Send this review to a friend
Bought the Alex Loop and the Alpha Loop for comparison  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Alex Loop and Alpha Loop gave me identical results in receive and transmit. For $300, the Alex Loop I bought from eBay (to save on international shipping to the USA, as it is not made in the US) came with the bag and PVC pipe to spread out the coax, and a handle to hold it with. For $300 the Alpha Loop from http://AmateurRadioStore.com came with a Self Supportive Magnetic Loop Antenna made from Aluminum sections that are easily assembled with a few screws. Also included in the price was a padded field bag with shoulder strap, a nice feature not included with the Alex Loop. Plus the Alpha Loop came with a 6 1/2 foot Aluminum tripod, all of which fit nicely in the bag that has a front padded front pocket large enough for ether my Elecraft KX3 or 817-ND.

As you read more about MLAs, you will likely find out that high voltages are present, so much that it has been stated that people with pace makers should not be close to them while in use. With thoughts of what high voltages does to the body, I'm apprehensive about holding the Alex Loop now that I've learned those are present. The Alpha Loop on the other hand can be placed on a tripod, but I also learned that is too can be hand held or mounted on a pack, because at the very base where you mount it there is a supporting stainless steel 24 x 3/8 bolt. One other design feature (perhaps even flaw?) of the Alex Loop, which is compensated for in the Alpha Loop, is the coaxial feedline seems cross right over the portion of the loop where high voltages are present, where the Alpha Loop compensates for this by physically off-setting the feedline away from both the inner and outer loops with a seperate black box at the top with a silver plated SO239.

DC3AFA Rating: 5/5 Sep 26, 2013 11:46 Send this review to a friend
Highly recommended!  Time owned: more than 12 months
O.k. itīs expensive (about 470 $ in Germany).
O.k. you can built your own magnetic loop antenna for little money. Maybe I could, too but I wanted something robust and portable.
After talking to Alex on Ham Radio 2011 in Friedrichshafen I bit the bullet and bought the Alex Loop. Never regret it! Always use it with a photographical tripod. ODX VK5CE/p on Flinders Island with my FT817. This week I had a 53 qso with PY2LED with my X1M pro.
Would like to have an option for 80m but you canīt have it all.
Thanks a lot, Alex!

SP6QKP Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2013 12:05 Send this review to a friend
performance and solid construction  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This antenna does not require a super advertising because of its design and performance are great.

I like QRP work with random locations. AlexLoop have a small bag for traveling and assembly is very quickly and easy. From many years I checked many different solutions for field day activity but today I can say: I have my destiny.

Last week I was in the meeting with other friends and they said to me that so small magnetic(!) loop is so weak to make any contact. We start to assembly our "shacks". I was on air in time when They was in half way to unpack. Finally I had much more QSO's they They. I had a K1 with battery inside and I used no more then 3W!

I checked this antenna also as indoor antenna. Also on 40m band, where efficiency is not the best, and I'm positive surprised.

VK3XPT Rating: 5/5 Aug 29, 2013 06:55 Send this review to a friend
Incredible Performance and Build Quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am a frequent QRP operator, and I have a number of QRP antenna solutions. I will try not to repeat all the great reviews on this site, but I will share this experience with you all.

I had been procrastinating about this antenna for a couple of years, but I finally decided to purchase one. I assembled it in my backyard and tuned it for 20m, which as my first attempt only took about 3 minutes. I had not been on the air longer than 5 minutes and I was blown away by the result! A long-path "55" contact with IZ7NLJ (Italy). That is roughly 15152 mi or 24385 km from my location here in VK3 (Melbourne, Australia)!!!

I must say the AlexLoop Walkham is amazing. I operate QRP portable often, and when compared to random end-fed wires, "squid-pole" antennas and my Miracle Ducker TL, the AlexLoop seems to out-perform the lot. I have had great success with all of these antennas in the past, even with the Miracle Whip antenna which for a compromise antenna I think is great, but the AlexLoop performance leaves it for dead! The Loop is light weight, built very well and requires no counterpoise. It is a very impressive antenna, and Alex is great to deal with!

If you have been "on the fence" regarding the AlexLoop like I was, my advice is to stop procrastinating and get one. It is worth the money!

Thank you Alex for a great product and great customer service.

Perrin
VK3XPT

KI4SVM Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2013 19:44 Send this review to a friend
Amazing Portable Antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The AlexLoop is my go-to antenna for SOTA activations. It is the perfect antenna for when I am unsure of the operating conditions on a summit or if I know there will be limited room. If I can stand and turn around, there is enough space for the AlexLoop!

It assembles very quick and is easy to tune. Yes, the bandwidth is narrow but retuning is no big ordeal. But, I am mostly calling CQ and not searching around and changing frequencies much. I really like the frequency agility of this antenna. Being able to tune from 40-10 allows me to play the bands, looking for contacts.

Did I mention how much I like the quick setup? From pack on the ground to tuned and ready to log contacts in less than 4 minutes! And that's not even trying to rush (but I am well rehearsed with the routine after more than 50 activations with this antenna). Wire antennas seem to take me around 15-20 minutes to get set up on a good day. On a bad day, you probably know how that goes!?!

And the amazing thing is, it works great. People dismiss it as just a small compromise antenna, but they haven't tried one yet. Sure, you may be an S-unit down from a big wire antenna, but it's so easy and fun to use. I know several naysayers that are now converts to the AlexLoop. And I can guarantee you it is a conversation starter.

VK3JY Rating: 5/5 Aug 14, 2013 16:44 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Whilst not cheap (when you include shipping to VK) this Magnetic Loop antenna gives excellent results. I was wary about the claims here on eham but 'bit the bullet' and ordered one from Alex. It arrived in about a week, and Alex gave first class service.
It is very easy to assemble, and my first outing was from indoors as the weather was too cold and wet for anything outdoors.
I tuned up using Alex's instructions listening for maximum noise on 20 meters and then fine tuned using an antenna analyser - which enabled me to get 1:1.1 SWR on the frequency of interest.
My proof that this antenna works was my first contact (from indoors) to EA2KC, a great circle distance distance of some 17,000 kms - yet he was beaming long path .... He gave me 3x4 and he was 5x8 to me. I was using my Elecraft KX3 at 10 watts ....
The antenna is not magic - you have to tune it correctly and wait to pounce on DX as you won't beat a pile up. But that makes it all the more fun!