Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Sandpiper V27.5 Help

Reviews Summary for Sandpiper V27.5
Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $£105-160.00p
Description: Vertical Antenna for 160M, 80M or 40M. Larger version of "V" range approx 8.5 mtr high, 500 watts, ground mounting Includes guys & guy rings.Mounts on ground with earth spike as a minimum. Available as single band or Tri-band.
More info: http://www.sandpiperaerials.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3_19_36

You can write your own review of the Sandpiper V27.5.

2E0MCA Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2010 11:58 Send this review to a friend
Good option for 80M in a small garden  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I needed an antenna for 80M in my north London garden (40M and up were covered by a 1/2 size G5RV). The cost of verticals by other manufacturers was prohibitive - often three times the price, and most were designed as multiband antennas. At 105.00p (show price) I felt the antenna represented good value and would give me the chance to access the 80M band.

Assembly was straight forward following the instructions although I initially set the measurements wrong for the top section because the point from which the measurements should be taken was not clearly indicated (Sandpiper please note). One of the jubilee clips supplied would not grip, so I replaced it with one from the local hardware store (these could be of better quality, especially the ones for the larger sized tubes). There were no unacceptable rough edges or mis-aligned holes.

In service the antenna was initially set up for 3.700MHz. I assumed that there would probably be some settlement and 10 months on the antenna seems to have stabilised at around 3.750MHz. The full range of the 80M band is accessible using an ATU but without using one, the SWR is less that 3:1 between 3.700 and 3.800 becoming 1:1 at 3.750MHz.

I bought the antenna to enable me to contact those stations that I couldn't with the 1/2 G5RV - ie UK special event stations working on 80M. So, having successfully contacted much of Europe and also crossed the pond to speak to Canada despite using an earth system but no radials, I feel that this antenna has greatly exceeded expectations and, balancing the shortcomings noted above against the cost, I believe that it deserves a rating of 5