Reviews Categories | QRP Radios (5 watts or less) | Ten Tec R4020 Help

Reviews Summary for Ten Tec R4020
Ten Tec R4020 Reviews: 32 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $249.00
Description: Model R4020 2 Band QRP Transceiver
More info: http://www.tentec.com

You can write your own review of the Ten Tec R4020.

KK2CQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2015 00:33 Send this review to a friend
Great little rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have to say price and size is relative to
your experience. If it's too big or expensive
you may not even want to take it. If the radio doesn't offer enough features like RIT and built in keyer you'll get tired quickly with it. There is a FUN price point, and this is it.

This is the perfect blend of price and performance. Pack it and hunk of wire with
a tuner and forget it!

The fact it's mass produced and "made in China"
adds to the credit. I have some cheep
QRP kits and some "Not so Cheep rigs" but, I've spent so much time building and perfecting them
they have almost a sentimental value. I'm not sure I can stomach watching the luggage cart run over my suitcase knowing it's inside.

When it comes down the conveyor wrapped in
Gray duct tape, you know you brought the
WRONG Rig ! The R4020 is the ONLY rig I'll
travel with.

VK3YE Rating: 4/5 Oct 24, 2014 16:19 Send this review to a friend
Has everything needed  Time owned: more than 12 months
A lot of fun. Has all needed features and capable of DX on the two busiest HF bands.

Tuning is not as smooth on some rigs and rx volume could be a bit higher. But these are minor things.

Low rx consumption make it great for portable.

More comments in my YouTube review at:

WX4USA Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2013 19:25 Send this review to a friend
Awesome. I am adding internal audio amp and speaker.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use the rig with internal batteries and an mp1 portable vertical from super antennas. No tuner required and works 40 & 20 with a great match.

Main drawback to me is the need for an internal audio amp and speaker. I found a 386 amp and very low profile speaker that I will mount inside the cabinet. This amp will fit even with the 8 batteries. Let me know if you'd like info on the amp and speaker. It's the only 12v amp I found that will fit in the cabinet with all batteries.

With the super antenna, no tuner is needed, so I can fit all of the gear in a small bag!

WE5EE Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2013 08:51 Send this review to a friend
Ten-Tec 4020 using BW-90 antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I talked with Serbia last night on my BW-90 t2fd antenna that reviews here said was a dummy load! . . . Fun, fun, fun ! ! ! . . . . Note: If I get the dc power too close to the other wires, it switches to transmit, so I have to keep the radio wires separate, but how hard is that? . . Easy fix after you understand . . . all these features for this price ? ? ? . . . Too cool . . .

W1CFZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2013 18:19 Send this review to a friend
Glad I bought it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just purchased this little transceiver and quickly made a contact on 40 with W2EZB, about 200 miles away. There was a lot of QRM but we were able to ragchew about 30 minutes. I'm glad I bought this for two reasons...1) for something to do when we lose power again (too many long outages in New England these days) and 2) it'll be a great rig to take on vacation this year.

K2OO Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2013 17:33 Send this review to a friend
Great Value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had the radio about a month. So far, I've worked 36 states and 32 countries. I have built a "Go Kit" around the radio with a tuner and an external battery and a 20m zepp antenna that I've taken to the park for portable operation. Ten-Tec is closing them out at $188. Its worth every penny!

KG9H Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2013 12:47 Send this review to a friend
What a great bargain  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Have had mine now for a while, meets all specs. Best feature of all is the built-in CQ with my call. Have been working all over the Midwest on 5 watts on 40 meters. The built-in memories are great to listen to SSB when I don't want to transmit. Would recommend it to anyone. I use the cheap MFJ paddle and have been having a blast with it. See you on 40. Maybe some day I will try it on 20 but until then.. 7.030 for me. Frank KG9H

NB4M Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2012 18:41 Send this review to a friend
Great Portable or Fixed QRP Rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Excellent value and performance from the TT R4020. Features are better than average and the quality of the receiver is hard to beat for a tranceiver that fits in the palm of your hand.
Using the MP-1 or wire doublet, I am able to make QSOs from any location within minutes. Including DX.
From the primary station, the R4020 is rugged and stays cool for extended QRP ragchews sessions.

N6XJP Rating: 1/5 Jul 10, 2012 18:42 Send this review to a friend
Keyer vs straight Key  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Same issue. Haven't used radio for two months. Turned on with straight key plugged in, nothing but a series of dots. Turned off, plugged in Vibroplex, NO dashes, just dits. Changed nothing, turned off, plugged in Vibroplex again and turned it on. The dit paddle gave dit - dashes continuously. Something is seriously wrong with the key/keyer input circuitry. The radio is unusable. A paperweight. Doorstop. Useless Chinese junk. Buy at your own peril. Going to Elecraft.

N6XJP Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2012 10:36 Send this review to a friend
Retraction !!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
A new TenTec 4020 arrived fresh from the factory last night. It works perfectly and does not have the plug/jack issue. I am looking forward to tons of usage out of this little beauty with my LnR Endfeds .... as soon as the wind stops blowing 40 knots and it gets above freezing....

Thanks to Paul and his staff at TenTec. We just didn't ( I didn't ) communicate well.