Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | SUPER ANTENNAS MP-2 Motorized Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for SUPER ANTENNAS MP-2 Motorized Antenna
SUPER ANTENNAS MP-2 Motorized Antenna Reviews: 4 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $225
Description: This is an electric Portable HF Servo Motor Driven Antenna. (7 thru 50 Mhz) MP-2
will not work with an 80 meter coil.
More info: http://newsuperantenna.com/

You can write your own review of the SUPER ANTENNAS MP-2 Motorized Antenna.

W9MT Rating: 4/5 Apr 9, 2017 19:34 Send this review to a friend
It works, just don't expect miracles...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought mine used at an estate sale a little over a year ago. All of the accessories including the radial kit were there, but lying around piecemeal.

At the time I didn't know what I was buying, as I had never heard of SuperAntenna Corp before. I bought an FT-817ND at the same time as the antenna at this same estate sale. When I got home I pieced together a picture of how everything was used as a working set.

Missing from the whole mess was a controller to apply +/-12VDC to the screwdriver motor for up/down tuning, so I build my own with a Bud Box and a Rat Shack center off DPDT momentary (both throws) toggle switch. Add a gel cell 12V battery and you have power for the radio and the antenna.

I fed the antenna RF through a 2 position coax switch and used an MFJ-259 to adjust the antenna to resonance on each band of operation, switching back to the FT-817ND to do the actual QSO's. It did tune well from 40 thru 10 meters, but you certainly DO need their radial kit. The radial kit works best when stretched away from the antenna mount base in straight lines. I thought the radial kit was a home made thing at first, but it wasn't.

The use of a C-Clamp to hold the mounting base to a wooden picnic table is kind of lame, but it works.

The whole thing works best for reasonable QSO capability if you're operating sitting about 20 feet away from the business part of the antenna.

This thing was a good buy at the estate sale, but was quite expensive brand new, as most screwdriver antennas are. I didn't see it on Super Antenna's website a year ago when researching it, or even now (2017). I guess they're now focusing only on their MP1 manual antenna for field or backpacking use. I can only guess that the MP2 may have had a short lived product shipment life.

So, while it does get me QSO's (and I like if for the price I paid), I think one would do better with wire slingshot into trees with a small antenna tuner, a BuddiePole, or a couple of Ham Sticks set up on a mast as a shortened dipole. This is a compromise product where you're trading bucks for gaining multiband convenience, while simultaneously having a loss of RF radiation efficiency compared to better alternatives.

Finally, I'm not sure why SuperAntenna's website doesn't say the optional 80/75 or 60 meter loading coils aren't compatible with an MP2. Electrically they should work, but at these lower bands the actual RF radiation efficiencies will drop down to single digits.

DL1BAZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 6, 2012 14:25 Send this review to a friend
Super Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
First I used a MP1 antenna in the garden on a 3 meter teleskopic pole. Worked very good but I had to put it down and tune it on every change of band. MP2 solved the problem. Very easy tuning with the little up and down switch. Use the antenna with an DV27L CB antenna on top (2,7 mtrs long)and one elevated radial per band. It works very fine with my Elecraft K2 and 10 watts.

WA6MJE Rating: 4/5 Oct 25, 2010 17:43 Send this review to a friend
Good Screwdriver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this a few years ago to use in my anntenna restricted QTH. It was one of the lower priced screwdriver antennas, priced right for me to experiment with. It worked well and is built well, except for the chrome whip that shipped with it. The whip was cheap, and the threads were damaged. I quickly replaced that with a good one, and the antenna performed well on a tripod in my back yard with elevated radials. I experimented with a number of options for a stealth antenna that can go outside, and be setup and taken down quickly. A screwedriver on a tripod with elevated radials and as long a mast as you can risk with the neighbors will get the job done. The MP-2 has standard 3/8 by 24 threads at the top and bottom so you can use it with any mobile products.

I had no problems except for the cheap whip. I actually have used this with several whips from 9.5 feet up to full size on 20 meters. The longer the whip the better. Now, I decided that a screwdriver is my best solution so I wanted a better one. The coil diameter on the MP-2 is about 1.25 inches and 10 inches long. They do not publish the specs, but this is obviously low Q. Now that I have proven the concept that I can actually have decent performance with this configuration, I want to max out the performance with a higher Q screwdriver. I researched all of them, and just bought a Hi-Q 4/160 for about $529, quite a bit more than the MP-2. I was happy with the MP-2 I just now want to be "happier" with the best screwdriver I can get since my HOA has me so limited with options.

I think 4 is a fair rating, since this is not the best-of-the-best screwdriver. The quality is good, but not great. It works well, so I could not justify a 3. 4 "Good" seems about right to me.

W6GQ Rating: 3/5 Jun 10, 2010 22:39 Send this review to a friend