Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | S9 Antennas S9v.43 HF vertical Multi-band 80-10m Help

Reviews Summary for S9 Antennas S9v.43 HF vertical Multi-band 80-10m
S9 Antennas S9v.43 HF vertical Multi-band 80-10m Reviews: 23 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $299.
Description:

We read your reviews and refined our 5 Star product based upon your feedback. Introducing the complete 10-80 meter S9v.43 antenna system that includes a ground to complete the circuit. This complete 10-80 meter HF antenna solution requires no antenna tuner and includes:

• Heavy duty mount and hardware;
  • Matching network with SO239 connector;
  • Stainless steel clamps;
  • Ground wire & Ground stake;
  • Rugged structural grade type 6063-T832 drawn, 6 section, 18 foot aluminum vertical element

General Specifications:

• Frequency Coverage - 10-80 meters,
  • SWRs - As low as 1.2:1 on 10 Meters, 1.15:1 on 15, 1.5:1 on 20, 1.4:1 on 40, and 1.9:1 on 80 when installed correctly,
  • Power - 500W PEP SSB,
  • Weight - 9 Pounds
  • Product is in production.
    More info: http://www.s9antennas.com

You can write your own review of the S9 Antennas S9v.43 HF vertical Multi-band 80-10m.

AE5JH Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2015 17:28 Send this review to a friend
    Great antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
    I am running this antenna with about 20 20' buried ground radials, and two radials above ground attached to fence running up both sides of my lot, about 75' each.
    This is a great performing antenna. With 100 watt kenwood 2000 I am able to make most contacts with no problems. I Have a mfj 300 watt remote tuner mounted at the base. I am able to tune 160, 80, 40, and so on.
    I am very disappointed that this antenna has been discoutinued. If you can find one buy it.

MM0OVV Rating: 4/5 Jan 5, 2015 06:07 Send this review to a friend
    Radials Radials Radials  Time owned: more than 12 months
    Like all vertical antennas you must have a good radial system and a good earth system for the antenna to hear and put out good signals.

Placing a couple of 8" earth rods in the ground and getting a 1.1 SWR doesn't give you an efficient antenna system.

With the shape of my Garden I couldn't get the best effective radial system but put down 32, 10 cm copper pipe of various lengths at 180 degrees around the antenna the longest being about 30"
    For my earth I have 4 8" rods and 5 5" copper rods in the ground.

I should say that I only use this antenna for 40 & 80 meters.
    You must include for the budget for this project a 4-1 balun or a remote tuner.

I decided on a remote tuner as there is less loss of signal with this method.

In high winds the antenna bends like a fishing rod. This is a good thing as the energy of the wind has to go somewhere and I can tell you this antenna can withstand very high winds.

One caveat to that and the resone i'v given it a 4 is with it bending like a fishing rod the screws all the way up the antenna tend to unscrew them selves.

I solved this problem by using a hot glue gun where the screws go into and fixing the screws whilst the glue was still hot, and then taping around the screws with coax sealant tape.

Haven't had a problem since.

I don't have an amp just use my 100 watts and i'v had contacts all over Europe, Russia, Middle East, North America on both bands.

The one that surprised me the most was on 80 meters not very late for me about 10:30 was a VK Australian station both sent and received S3.

I'm a Scottish station.

Would love to see what this antenna can do with an optimal 80" 360 degrees all the way round radial system on 40&80 meters.

I should also say that it works best 400 miles +

K5RHD Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2013 17:37 Send this review to a friend
    Great but you MUST have radials  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
    S9-43' Vertical

As a new ham, we are bombarded by a lot of new information, brands, technologies, etc. My advice to a newly licensed Ham is to do two things: 1. Get an Elmer, listen to him/her. Ask questions-LOTS of questions!. 2. READ, READ, READ! With the advent of the Internet, we have more information at our finger tips than any other time in history.

I live on a small city lot with a backyard that measures about 60x28 and part of that has a concrete pad on it(hard to bury radials on it). I purchased the recommended radial plate, 1,000 of DX Engineering radial wire with steel staple kit. I could not get a dipole for 40 or 80 and still maintain neighbor/wife approval so it was suggested that I look into verticals. While verticals have a somewhat bad reputation for being noisy and poor performers, I am here to say that if you put in the effort up front you can build a vertical system that will get you DX, and contacts all around the US. You can see pictures of my S9-43' on my QRZ page along with my log (updated once a month). Some of the first contacts were made with an Elecraft KX3 @ 10 watts QRP-later I added a K3 with a full K-line.

New Mexico is plagued with very high winds in the winter/spring time. So far, the antenna has survived wind gusts in excess of 55MPH! So far it is holding up. If it survives the rest of this spring, I will be a happy camper. So far so good-this antenna will work for you if you put in the time to put down a lot of radials and provide good feed line and drive a 2" pipe into the ground as directed.

Bottom Line: If you have a small lot and want to get on the air and work some DX or rag chew with the US, this antenna will work. I imagine the 31 and 18 feet versions perform just as well. I have given some thought to a pair of phased 31 footers.

WD4DC Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2013 15:20 Send this review to a friend
    Radials, Radials, Radials  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
    If you're willing to take the time and energy to put out a good amount of radials (I have about 40 of varying lengths, some resonant, some not), then you won't be disappointed one bit by this easy to used antenna. When I first installed it (by myself, which was EASY, by the way), I only put out about 12 radials, resonant on 80 and 40 meters, in particular. At that point I was fairly happy with it's performance vs my G5RV inverted V. But the more radials I laid down, the better it got. This afternoon I nailed some DX that I had not even HEARD before. Japan, Samoa, among others. Granted, they are only half-way around the world from me, but who's counting? Keep in mind also...I'm running barefoot from an Icom IC746-Pro, about three miles from the west coast of Florida, so the ground plane here is already somewhat good. You gotta help it along, though...no matter where you are...unless you live right on the salt water, I suppose.

The antenna went together and was erected (make your own jokes) in the space of one hour. With a couple logical steps, it's quite easy for nearly anyone to install without help, although it might be fun to see some of my ham buddies be jealous of how simply EASY this antenna is to put up.

It tunes up easily on my rig using just the internal tuner...but again, I attribute this to the amount of radials I have.

I'm very happy with this antenna. I'm looking forward to finally confirming some DXCC's...it should be quite easy now!!

KF7DS Rating: 3/5 Jun 18, 2012 12:24 Send this review to a friend
    Just OK - especially for portable use  Time owned: more than 12 months
    I decided on the S9 43' vertical based on the reviews on eHam. I had the S9/43' for a little more than a year , and it performed "ok" but not as well as some reviews would lead you to believe. I replaced it with a Hustler 6BTV, which performs much better.

The S9 definitely can get you out - I had contacts with Argentina and Asiatic Russia from Portland, OR on CW at 100 watts - but it is relatively noisy, inefficient, and has some construction issues that could lead to eventual failure.

I ran the S9 through an SGC remote tuner, and I never thought my signal coming out was overly strong. I had a choke at both ends of the coax run, as well as buried coax and still had more RFI than I thought should be present. Performance on the higher bands was not stellar.

When I disassembled the S9, I noticed that the screws that hold the telescoping sections together actually protrude inside the tubing itself, rather than ending flush. As a result, when the vertical sways and bends in the wind, the internal wire (the antenna) rubs against the screw tip and could may eventually cause a problem. I had quite a bit of abrasion on the exterior of the wire.

As I noted, I replaced the S9 with a ground mounted 6BTV over the exact same radial field in the same location. After having used the 6BTV for close to a year, I have come to the conclusion that the Hustler gets more power out as it is "tuned", little to no RFI issues, and is quieter.

Best,
    Don KF7DS

W9CAC Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2012 09:16 Send this review to a friend
    Good Quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
    I bought the 43'. Will also use it as a 31'. Have very limited space, only have 4 radials out, but built a Petlowany coil (acts as a counterpoise) for it and have blended it all into the landscape. I will be taking the full version 43' with me on vacation for use on the summer property.

N8ZEE Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2011 11:33 Send this review to a friend
    Best Antenna I have ever had.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
    I do not understand the comments about the worry when LDG bought S9 Antennas.
    The cost is cheaper, the same antenna, free balun or unum, and the great service of LDG. I
    have 5 LDG tuners, and have had nothing but a great experence when ever I had to deal with LDG.
    If you have any questions, or doubts, E-mail me and I will share my experences with you.
    You buy this antenna or any antenna from LDG, you will not regret it.

I travel in an RV, and have had nothing but great contacts with this Antenna, easy to set up and take down.

Bill
    N8ZEE

K6RJP Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2011 18:19 Send this review to a friend
    Great at John's Price Point  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
    Had one for a couple months - configured as a 160 inverted L, 80 Meter inverted L and multiband with 4-1 UNUN. All worked great. Stand up to 80 mph gusts here in the high desert of NV. Ready to buy 4 more when LDG bought S9 and jacked up the price grossly. (27%) Now one has to consider the DX Engineering MBVE-1. On top of that they dropped the 31 foot -KIT- that was great for four squares. A sad day for hams when LDG got involved.

N5VEG Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2011 19:27 Send this review to a friend
    Withstands High Wind  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
    Just another high wind testimonial for the S-9 43 foot. Early this morning a huge and powerful thunderstorm system with tornadoes and hail moved through my area. The wind was gusting to 75mph! I thought the s-9 was a gonner! After the storm passed enough, I went outsie behold the S-9 was standing straight and tall! I did lose a big piece of aluminum facia off my house. Some neighbors has fences down. But not a scratch on the long green pole!

John makes an outstanding/strong product, that's for SURE!

K8JTD Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2011 21:49 Send this review to a friend
    A great investment  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
    I purchased this antenna based on all of the previous reviews. To say the least I have not been disappointed, I have received very good signal reports from all contacts, most 58 or 59 reports. Working only 100 watts I have been able to break pile ups with others running several hundred watts. Customer service is nothing short of perfect. John has answered any question that I had with many of the responses coming back within an hour or less, even late in the evening.