Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | S9v 43' vertical Help

Reviews Summary for S9v 43' vertical
Reviews: 21 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $139.95
Description: S9v 43' Multiband Vertical for 80 - 6 Meters
More info: http://www.s9antennas.com

You can write your own review of the S9v 43' vertical.

N5VEG Rating: 5/5 Dec 12, 2010 14:19 Send this review to a friend
Handles The Wind  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just an addendum to my original review. For the past 24 hours we have had extremely high winds with some gusts near 60 MPH. I was afraid my new S-9 43' was a gonner! I went out after a while to look it over and it was still there! It was bending like it had a tarpon on the end of it in the strong gusts but held it's stance with no noticed damage or other problems.

One thing I will comment on is the fact that when I assembled it I wrapped tape around the top most section where it is friction fit (there is no screw for this top section) and it did not collapse. Without the tape it may have collapsed. I would like to recommend that John include some really small tie wraps to prevent the friction fit working lose and falling inside the adjoining tube.

N5VEG Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2010 06:20 Send this review to a friend
Great vertical for limited space  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received my new S-9V 43 foot vertical antenna yesterday.

It was well packaged and contained all the assembly parts plus spares. It only took me about 30 minutes to assemble the antenna on the ground as per John's instructions. The antenna is between two houses that are only 12 feet apart. I am an old codger and didn't want to risk falling with the antenna so a local ham club member came over to help. We actually mounted the antenna on the ground stub "in the dark!" It's that easy to plant!

A quick tune up without a UNUN exhibited a full 100 watts out with a 1.3/1 SWR. Not bad considering it's a long vertical. It may tune up a little better with the 4-1 UNUN. I will experiment later with that. Signal reports late last night on 80 meters were, you guessed it, "S-9"! Some distant locations,400-800 miles, noticed 10 over in peaks. It must have a very low take-off angle.

I am truly satisfied with the S-9 concept and kudos to John Martindale for turning out such a quality antenna for so little cost.

Just remember, put down at least 16 radials and you are going to be S-9!

WX4O Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2010 19:57 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My 'better half' helped me put it up. Used the radial plate and radials from my (now for sale) 4BTV. My 993B MFJ autotuner works great with it.
Stealthy... hard to see unless you are in the backyard with it. I love it.

ND0CW Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2010 14:48 Send this review to a friend
HAPPY CAMPER  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
HAPPY CAMPER Ėordered S9 43ft vertical, a mounting pipe, radial plate and extra bag of hardware and the recommended low power unun. Buried RF Davis bury-flex coax from garage to middle of lot - about 75 feet of coax... Drove ground rod. Drove mount, extended antenna and up easily. I put a Spiderbeam guy ring for their 40ft collapsible mast on and used light weight kevlar rope.

Started to cut radials and we had a 3 day blizzard - Iím only 20 miles from Canada and fence posts donít keep out the north wind. We had 60 mph winds, 5 inches of snow - antenna handled it, no problem. Got bunch radials cut, soldered, total of 32: 10 at 62 feet, 22 at 33 feet.

After blizzard over and few days for snow to melt.... started installing radials. Itís work!! but worth it. Longest run for radials was about 45 feet, so I doubled them back on themselves.
Used lawn staples from Ross Radio - maybe overkill, given my ground and my wifeís oversight and complaint ďHow will we mow and rake?Ē I put staples in at 1 ft intervals.
Used a flat screwdriver to drag through the grass to make sure I was down to the dirt. Took about an hour for 3-4 radials.

Excellent swr, using MFJ Differential T tuner in shack - initial contacts revealed what I expected: verticals are not for close in stuff - 300 miles or less. The further out, the better... For the first time in 48 years of ham radio, I heard Europe on 80m cw.!!!! YEA. Couldnít break the pile up though.

I had ordered Balun Designs 4:1 5kw balun for other uses, 4124x - Installation notes gave me clue it could be used instead of the unun. So I switched. Iíve been running 500w on cw, 1200 pep on ssb - fantastic results around the country. Been heard in South Africa, Alaska on 40m. Need to stay up late on 80m and find when dx rolls in. So far, Iíve only used it on 80 and 40m.

Iím thrilled. Gotta wait for Spring to double number of radials. Remember, radials take work and are worth it! Also, donít expect good reports within your own state. Use something else for close in nets/ragchews.

Dave ND0CW

W1PO Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2010 05:26 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I replaced a Cushcraft AP8V with the 43 foot S9V and I must say that it is worth every penny. I used the existing radials (18) that I had cut for the AP8V without the radial plate and did use the 4:1 UNUN as suggested. This is my 80/40 receive antenna but it works so well on all the bands that I find myself using it mostly on the WARC bands (30, 17 and 12)for transmit as well! Breaks pile ups on long haul stuff with only 150 watts. The low angle rx/tx seems really good. My LDG autotuner matches it on all bands within seconds. Easy install and great portability. You won't be disappointed with the performance. If I dedicated more time to cutting proper length radials and used more of them, I can easily see that this can be a killer performer for low bucks.

WD0CNZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2010 13:16 Send this review to a friend
Excellent and it Delivers  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I installed this antenna recently in advance of the winter months. I could not live without radio for the whole winter and my excellent working MP-1 Super Antenna would not handle the snow. This antenna rocks!! I put down 20, 33 ft radials with the S9 radial plate and installed the recommended Balun Designs 4:1 unun. Ant tunes great. First test drive netted a 59 in ND and a 59 in Slovenia. I also worked Puerto Rico at 58 on 10m the next day. This Antenna is a bargain and is so easy to install. You will spend 2X the time pounding the pipe into the ground than putting the antenna together and raising it. My winter is going to be the best ever from Missouri. It also delivers the goods when I am running 5W QRP (my usual mode). I have no amps and the highest power i would run is 100w. This ant takes 1500W. Thanks again S9 Antennas.

KB3Z Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2010 05:47 Send this review to a friend
Easy Antenna to Install  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The antenna comes in one box but getting all the plastic wrapping off can be a challenge. But I understand why they pack it that way to protect the product. I unraveled the wire and installed the set screws in each section. The only problem was when I tried to pull the wire with the hook through the hole in the botton section. The top section collapsed and I had to push on the wire to get it back through again. I would suggest that for the top section which does not require a screw that maybe S9 could drill a little hole taht a small screw could go in to avoid the top section from going back in. Also the wire is not that flexible so be prepared to pull a little bit with the hooking tool to get it through the hole. Other then that it took one hour to build the antenna and with the help of a friend it took about 20 to 30 minutes to put it on my ground pipe. I will write further reviews on the performance of the antenna. Mark KB3Z

W9PXZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2010 14:18 Send this review to a friend
Great 80 and 40m DX antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had mine up a couple weeks now and am very pleased with the results. It is simple, easy to put up, and if necessary, take down. My past experience with HF antennas has been a Gap Titan and a commercial OCF dipole. To compare the three, the S9 wins hands down on 80 and 40 meters. And thats with just 12 radials. I plan to add more before the winter sets in. The first weekend I had it up I was making contacts into Europe that I could never do before. My best catch so far has been a station in Cyprus. I was even able to get it to load up on 160m. Not well, but enough that I could make the transceiver happy. It takes A LOT of coil on the MFJ989 and the tuning is very sharp, but you can do it.

Now the down side, it due to its height is not quite as effective on 20 m and up. But that does make sense if one thinks about it. The take off angle is going to be rather odd at the higher frequencies. I will be adding the S9jr to my antenna farm for the upper frequencies. Its 18' height should be more amenable to those bands.

W5DMT Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2010 23:25 Send this review to a friend
Excellent low cost alternative!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had this antenna up for about a month now, and used it off and on. I put down 32 radials underneath it and used a DX Engineering UNUN so that I could remote tune it from the shack. It's fed with 75 feet of LMR-400.

Tonight I sat down and checked into the 3905 Century Club 40M late net and couldn't believe how well I was being heard. I do own a few amplifiers, however, tonight I just thought I would run barefoot and see what happened. 57 signal report out of Hawaii. Also worked 6 other states, and was able to easily work everything I heard.

I added it all up, and I have right at about $400 tied up in this antenna. To me, that's a bargain. 3800 miles, 100 watts... That's real DX on 40 Meters.

I've also worked into the Baltic states, Italy, and a few other interesting places on 20M. It's a good performer, as long as you set it up right. At least 20 feet from any buildings, at least 16 radials (though 32 is better), run the UNUN (whether you go with their recommendation or DX ENgineering) and realize that this is a vertical. It's not a 3 element yagi at 120 feet. But in lieu of bankrupting yourself creating that scenario, give this one a try!

N8SDR Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2010 10:49 Send this review to a friend
Great for small Lots  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have been using the S9 43 foot dipole for the last few months, and can say it works very well! Setup with the recomened Balun Designs 4:1 UNUN togather the results have been very good!

Bands conditions haven't been the greatest lately but the combination seems to work very well. Both S9 Antennas and Balun Designs have extremly great customer service, fast customer response via email.

40/20 meters seems to be the hot bands for this setup with a very nice take off angle for DX. They work with the recomened balun and a good ground radial system on 80-6 meters so they make a good multiband antenna for those limited with the ntenna farm and blend in well with the surroundings.

Mine has also taken on a few 50+ MPH winds during recent storms with no issues.

You need a good tuner and good coax readup on using these types of verticles doing so you will have good results and wont be dissapointed. My setup uses less than 50 foot of RG213, a Palstar AT1KP Tunner in the shack, I have several various lenghts of 14Ga ground radials and have tied in the chain link fence as part of my ground as well.

The Logbook speaks for itself.
Mine is available via HRD Log at