Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | G whip base antenna Help

Reviews Summary for G whip base antenna
G whip base antenna Reviews: 2 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $£249.00
Description: Top Band to 10m Rotatable dipole The "G Whip" base antenna consists of two helically wound units representing a reduced 1/2 wave dipole and it is centre loaded (coils are inserted between the main helical stem and the resonator half way along the length of each 1/4 wave element), the antenna covers Top Band to 28 Mhz. (No tuner required)

More info: http://gwhip.co.uk/

You can write your own review of the G whip base antenna.

M0CZV Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2011 03:16 Send this review to a friend
A very flexible antenna package - multirole  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have now owned several of the excellent G Whip antenna products for over a year and thought it was about time I put pen to paper and shared my experiences. Please see my other review for the G Whip Zepp antenna.

I have a small garden and my neighbours live close by. Because of this I try to be careful with power levels and aim to keep a low visual impact. I only erect my antennas when they are needed. The G Whip base when attached to a suitable pole is self-supporting and can be rotated to null out local QRM.

I also needed an antenna which I could use when travelling in my Motorhome, the G Whip Base antenna comes with a robust storage tube which takes the worry out of having it squashed under all of my camping equipment.

High quality components – Double heatshrink to the stems/coils and brass or stainless steel where called for means that you can leave the antenna outside should you so wish.

Attention to detail – everything you need is provided, even a protective cap for the SO239 connector, just add coax, a transceiver and a VSWR meter.

Quality – every antenna I have purchased has come with its own test certificate showing its VSWR response curve. Each coil/band configuration has its individual plot as they are tested with the antenna you have purchased. To get you up and running quickly G Whip provides you with a chart which gives you whip measurements for each band.

Operation – most of my operations are centred on lower power modes such as PSK31. When it comes to setting up the antenna I found the whip measurement information to be accurate, and while it wasn’t strictly necessary I bought an Antenna Analyser as I prefer this method of tuning antennas.

When travelling light it is possible to use one half of the whip as a vertical antenna and to make this easier I purchased the G Whip Tripod, great for snatching a few minutes radio time without spending ages setting up the station. With an appropriate base the antenna can be fixed to a car and used mobile; all in all great value for money.

I wished I had one of these when first licenced in the early 80’s as it had always been a nightmare trying to find a compact, yet efficient, antenna for HF. I had tried all sorts of simple arrangements with ‘Ham stick’ style antennas but found them too lossy and inefficient.

I have previously worked in the Defence industry for many years and find it refreshing to see commercial products which demonstrate the same construction techniques and quality of finish; a rare quality in todays world of mass production and profit margins.

What do I like the most, being able to get on the air without any fuss. I have no business connection with G Whip, just a satisfied customer.

73 Ian Ross M0CZV, UK

M6GJS Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2010 04:34 Send this review to a friend
rotatable dipole  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was looking for a rotatable dipole with a small foot print when i came across the g whip base antenna.Each antenna is hand made by Geoff G4ICD in his own workshop the quality is outstanding.The antenna will work from 160 to 10m all you do is change the coils for desired band and adjust whips on each side, this only takes minutes to do.I have installed the antenna on a fibre glass mast that will go from 7ft to 33ft in seconds mounted on back wall,initially i set the antenna up for 40m and worked all over europe no problem on psk31 and phone using set positions supplied by Geoff this covered the whole band no problem.Then i tryed 20m coils again this covers the whole band no tuner needed .Well i have a 66ft doublet up at 33ft as well and was switching between the both when i heard a stateside station ,so i quickly went into the garden and turned the gwhip to point north to south .Now the rx signal had gone from s9 to +20 so i decided to have ago ,well i was calling for 30mins and i did break through all the big guns and confirmed my call and location with W3JK (ken) not bad for 10watts.I would recommend this antenna it has a small foot print and easy to install,Geoff is very helpful and replys to emails very quickly and the build quality is excellent.