Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Alinco DJ-190 Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DJ-190
Alinco DJ-190 Reviews: 9 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $218
Description: DJ-190T SPECIFICATIONS 144.0 ~ 147.995MHz commercial grade HT
More info: http://www.alinco.com/usa.html

You can write your own review of the Alinco DJ-190.

NO4L Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2010 21:06 Send this review to a friend
DJ-190 I Like it!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Simple interface and easy to program. A modern, near commercial, looking portable that isn't teeny-tiny, but not a brick either. I don't care for the latest cigarette-pack size radios, this is a perfect size for me. Sold my first DJ-190, wish I hadn't -- just acquired another :-).

KF4HPY Rating: 4/5 Nov 9, 2009 14:20 Send this review to a friend
Interesting Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this radio around 1998 with the "AA" cell packs and used it for a couple of years before donating it to a ham radio physics class at a local elementary school. Last year the county canceled the ham classes in favor of their own agenda. The teacher returned all of the equipment I had donated. I fell in love with this radio all over again. With the "AA" cells the output was around 1 Watt. So I Sent off to Batteries America for a 9.6V 800mAh NIMH pack. Now I have a full 5W out. However in my joy, I forgot about battery charging. I had been using rechargable "AA" cells. Now I needed a real charger! I have an Alinco DJ-596 with a 1500 mAh pack and it calls for 25 hrs. of charge using an EDC-93. So I did the math and found the EBP-50N needs 12 hrs. to come up to 700 mAh so my new pach would use 13-14 hrs. or up to 18 hrs. as stated on the battery decal. So now I have a nice slim radio again and can use the EDC-93 on both radios. I dont mind "grinding" in all the tones, freqs,etc. The buttons are few and marked and the manual is not hard to read. I have filled it with notes and hi-lited passages. I like the metal belt clip, plastic does break. I give it a 4//5 as it is discontinued and there is a little overload problem from the local NOAA WX a mile away. I carried both the Alinco 190 and the 596 on my last disaster relief callout a month ago. Ed KF4HPY

KC0UBJ Rating: 4/5 Jun 16, 2005 17:50 Send this review to a friend
Good radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought an almost new unit about three months ago, and have had no serious problems with it other than when you run it on high power and talk for a while, it will get very hot. Almost too hot to hang on to. I use mine as a portable packet radio and it works great, the speaker is a little quiet, it can be a little hard to hear on the road sometimes. I use two sets of nimh batteries in a dry cell case and swap them out when needed, but usually try to run it on an adaptor because the batteries won't last long if you talk much on it. It will scan all day though, and still have enough juice to talk a while at the end of the day. I'm sure a regular battery pack would last longer. I treat it fairly rough sometimes, it gets tossed into a work truck in the morning and usually rides in a cup holder or on the seat. It has been knocked in the floor and fallen out of the cup holder a few times and it's still working fine though, so it's able to take some rougher handling than some other radios I've seen. I gave it a 4 only because of the heat it puts off on high power, everything else works great.

N8MRC Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2005 21:04 Send this review to a friend
Use everyday as my main HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this radio back in '99 though TechAmerica/Radio Shack for $99. Over the years I bought a Ni/Cd battery pack and a Nickel Metal Hydride battery pack. It came with a 4 'AA' dry cell battery pack. I use it everyday on the local repeater and on simplex to chat with the wife. For the price I paid for it and how long it has lasted it is well worth the money for the radio. I did buy another HT antenna, a 17" flex duck. I have talked over 10 miles on simplex with the antenna. Very, very reiable radio....

KD5UGS Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2005 08:46 Send this review to a friend
Really simple 2m HT to operate  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I use to have a DJ190 until I sold it to a very good friend of mine & I think the DJ190 is great
2m HT since it is so very easy to figure out.
Nice options on the menu too!!!!!!

N0VKG Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2002 04:30 Send this review to a friend
excellant!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I absolutely love this slim radio. Its a change from most HTs w/ no keypad. But its controls are are well thought out. I use it quite abit on my trips to Southern Missouri where everything is VHF-Only. Most ham stuff in St louis is also VHF. Also, all EMS, Fire & Pd activity is in the VHF range in southern Missouri. UPDATE on 01/26/02 at Winterfest 2002 in Collinsville, Il I went ahead and invested in new Ni-MH battery packs for it. I consider the investment well worth it. I bought 1: 4.8v 2150Mah pack and a 9.6v 750Mah pack. The 4.8v for when I expect to only use the dj-190 as a recieve-ONLY radio and the 9.6v pack radio when I need 5-watts to hit a distant Mountain-Top Repeater.

My only complaint (if it is a complaint) is that the CTCSS-Decode function requires a plug-in card. But, hey, its worth it. I only use this rig for portable ops. Meaning, I only use the radio with its -stock- rubber duck antenna. Alinco is known for making radios with bad receiver front-ends. I will never hook it up to an external antenna for any reason. So, Alinco's rather poor reciever history will not play a part in my usage. I too got mine thru Tech-America )Radio Shcack) for $99.00 a number of years ago (1998). One of the wisest investments in HTs I ever made. 73 from Todd Hartzel / n0vkg in St Louis, Missouri

K0REX Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2001 17:12 Send this review to a friend
Great reliable simple handheld  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a 190 new from Tech America(Radio Shack) with a AA battery pack for $99.
The 190 has a nice big display, simple controls and has been very reliable. I have had only one problem(transmit was cutting out). I sent it back to Alinco and they fixed it promptly and sent it back. It was still under warranty. That was two years ago. It has been in use almost daily use since then with no problems. The unit has forty memories which is plenty, even with the 16 Civil Air Patrol frequencies I have programmed in. Honestly, how many memories do we need and really use? The long thin case fits nicely in your hand compared to the newer short fat rigs which just don't feel as comfortable. I liked it so much, I have purchased a second used one, with Ni-Cd battery, charger and a filtered cigarette lighter power cord for a little over $120. Having two units comes in handy when I am teaching the cadets in our CAP squadron how to properly use radios. I'm not overly impressed with HT's that have all kinds of features that will probably never be used. Even the CAP cadets(11 to 18 years old) prefered the DJ-190 to the unit's Yeasu Ft-11R(A good radio!) I think they were intimidated by all the buttons and the hard to read display on the FT-11R. Our ham club treasuer's(Mark, N9XTN) uses a DJ-190 in his near space balloon payload which has gone to over 70,000 feet!
The only improvement I would make is to make the case more water resistant. Mine got soaked in a down pour helping out with a parade. I took it home, toweled it off, opened it up, let it dry completely, and it is back in operation with no problems.
A good HT at a very affordable price. 73, Rex

JASPER Rating: 3/5 Nov 1, 2000 20:02 Send this review to a friend
Too hard to program  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had several HT's before and all of them have had their programming issues, but this radio takes the cake. You have to program everything inside of a menu. It's not user friendly at all. The best thing to buy with this system is the ERW-4 computer programmer. This allowed me to program the HT quicker than one frequency at a time. Excellent screen display though, big and bright. Overall OK for back-up but not as your main HT.

KC2FVR Rating: 5/5 Jun 23, 2000 09:47 Send this review to a friend
Top notch easy to use two meter monoband  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The DJ190T is easy to use in part because it has a very large LCD display. I found that it performed remarkably well both as a mobile rig or as a handheld. The standard Radio Shack Speaker/Mic works well with this radio. It has good transmit and receive audio. The combination of the large display and easy of use make it a model for how HTs ought to be designed.
Its a pleasure to use. Has good sensitivity, and intermod rejection.
DJ190 does not have touch tone pad so get the DJ-191 model if you must have autopatch capability.
Some good discounts exist: This radio was avalable for $79.(with dry cell case) at the Radio Shack commercial site. NickleMetal Hydride batterys worked ok with this radio. An excellent buy for the money.