Reviews Categories | Receivers: Scanners | Icom R6 Help

Reviews Summary for Icom R6
Icom R6 Reviews: 4 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $199
Description: Mini wideband hand-held scanning receiver
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/receivers/handheld/r6/default.aspx

You can write your own review of the Icom R6.

W2WHT Rating: 5/5 Dec 3, 2014 10:38 Send this review to a friend
A quality receiver/scanner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have only had this unit for a couple of days and even so, I can tell it is well worth the money.
Programming is fairly straight forward and has steps that are in common with programming other Icom radios I have had experience with. I will add that it did take me a while to get the hang of it.

Scan speed is very fast.
Battery life is good; much better than the two Unidens I also own.
Size and weight are such that I can easily carry this in a shirt pocket if desired.
Audio output has plenty of volume and has good clarity.

I have had many handheld scanners over the years and while this receiver is slightly more difficult to program, the positive points it has make this unit worth the learning curve.

I will add another review when I have a chance to use this receiver in tuning hf bands.

W4HH Rating: 1/5 Sep 6, 2013 22:07 Send this review to a friend
VERY difficult to program and use  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my R6 for three years. When I first got it, I programmed it with about a dozen local public service freqs . . . took an hour to program it, very frustrating, had to read step-by-step through the manual with each freq. Finally got it programmed.

For the past three years, it's been monitoring those freqs. Five days ago, I needed to add another freq but could not find the manual and without it, I cannot operate the R6, beyond turning it off and on.

This "scanner" may be sensitive, selective, and the like but it is NOT "user-friendly." The buttons and the sequence in which each must be pressed is not intuitive.

Other owners likely have positive experiences with their R6 but my experience was 99% negative. It's no longer in use; I'm selling it on eBay and will let someone else have the headach.

WZ3O Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2013 11:49 Send this review to a friend
Hot receiver in a tiny package..   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
***1st a must for anyone serious abt using this R6 to it's full capabilities buy the Icom cable or maybe you can make one, Butel ARC6 software and pop for a subscription to RadioReference.

***That said it's got more memories and bands than u can use in any given day, I have 6 surrounding Counties PD/Ecomm freqs, abt 500, imported with the Radio Reference interface ...slick stuff (I know I'm kinda' blending ARC6 & the receiver, but it's difficult to separate the 2)

***Great hot receiver if you ditch the dummy load called an antenna Icom provides, I use an Opek flexible whip..works well on HTs also ...Too many features ...too little time ;-)

***Play with it for a while to acclimate yourself, read manual..actually one of the better written I've seen..

***Don't let the lack of buttons concern you it's fairly straight forward...

***BUT as I say if you serious abt filling the 1000 memories with different Ecomm services, shortwave etc and using it's capabilities...get the cable, get the sofware and by all means Radio Reference, it's your new best friend... HI

*** I'd give it a 4.6 but rounded up to a 5..nothing is perfect..

PAULGBLUNDELL Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2010 15:14 Send this review to a friend
R5 with major improvements  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My Icom R6 wideband hand held arrived yesterday (as did my Pro 2035 so I had two radios to program last night Wink )

After spending some time programming it up with around 160 channels I can report a few positive things about it.

- The scan and search speed is MUCH better then the R5 was, I would say close to 40 - 50 channels a second with them all being in order, it can scan the UHF CB band (40 channels) in less then 1 second. Searching the Air band was also very quick and that would be around the same speed or maybe even a little quicker.

- The CTCSS tone decode works very well, it takes a few seconds to find the right tones but at least it can be turned on and off as required.

- Programming is very easy and I was able to do most of this (except adding alpha tags) without ever looking at the manual.

- From my limited testing last night (I did have another radio I needed to play with too Grin ) no major problems with any bands and overload / FM BCB or TV audio being in places it should not.

- Finally Icom have got it right and you can link scan bands together and scan any mix of these, no longer is it one bank or all bank scanning like on the R2 and R5.

Overall if you took the R5, increased the scan / search speeds, added the multi bank scanning and reduced the battery drain you would end up with the R6. I used to own an R5 a few years ago and was very happy with this except for the slow scan / search speeds and bank scanning being limited to one or all banks, in the R6 Icom have fixed this.

Paul