Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | MFJ-1779C Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1779C
Reviews: 1 Average rating: 1.0/5 MSRP: $29.95
Description: 20-6M DIPOLE, SINGLE BAND, 35 FT
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1779C.

NM5DC Rating: 1/5 Jun 25, 2010 17:00 Send this review to a friend
What a POS  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've heard stories of MFJ's quality issues and haven't had a problem until now. The antenna arrived promptly, in a nice plastic package. I opened it up and immediately noticed an issue with assembly. The product is shipped with two ceramic (not plastic) end terminators, two sections of approximatley17.5 ft copper wire. One end of each cooper wire section is open (indented to be attached to the ceramic terminators after cutting to length; the other end is terminated inside a plastic box with PL-259 extending out of the bottom of the box. The first issue I noticed was that the plastic box was not closed properly. The assembler apparently could not close the box due to excess wire inside due to sloppy measuring and the box was screwed together with a large gap at the top due to impeding excess wire. I opened the box to correct and discovered that one of the wire segments was soldered to the middle of the PL-259 (with a cold solder joint), the other end was terminated to the screw that secured one side of the box (not to the PL-259 outer connector. In other words, no balun; perhaps the intent is to capacitively couple the second wire segment to the PL-259 outer connecter as a balun? Interesting concept which I am not familiar with but my instinct is to build a proper balun, and replace the whole assembly.

In summary, I should have just purchased the wire (at a hamfest or other) make my own balun. I do not recommend this item.