Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Alinco DJ-C5 Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DJ-C5
Alinco DJ-C5 Reviews: 16 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $130
Description: Small pocket size 300mW dualband HT
More info: http://www.alinco.com/Products/DJC5T.shtml

You can write your own review of the Alinco DJ-C5.

KC8PMM Rating: 4/5 Jan 16, 2002 07:35 Send this review to a friend
OK for price  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I had this radio for a while and want to be a little bit of the "devil's advocate" here. It is a really cool little HT but I would like to list the drawbacks I experienced since the good points are all listed here.

Audio was poor, but readable.

Antenna was not even an SMA. It was basically a flexible threaded rod.

There was no way to attach any sort of belt clip to the radio because of how it goes in the charger.

The Li-Ion battery only lasted about 5 hours on mine (mostly receive). Not good if you can't carry extras and not good for extended outings.

I know, Whaddya expect for $130?

KC4TXR Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2001 16:31 Send this review to a friend
Super Stealth Rig!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just amazing for what it is. Not a super loud radio but then it's not supposed to be. What it is is useful, easy to carry, easy to conceal and easy to use. That 300mW does a lot better than one would initially expect. The biggest surprise about this rig is the RF front end. It's much more immune to intermod than my ICOM Q7A. Speaking of the Q7A... want to open up the RX/TX range?? Plan on four hours of painstaking surgery. Want to open up the DJ-C5? Plan on three minutes and don't forget the tools... phillips screwdriver (small) and some diagonal cutters.
This is a cute, fun, inexpensive dual bander that goes everywhere with you.

WQ5MM Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2000 22:24 Send this review to a friend
Great mini ht  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
What a neat micro dual bander. Have had a lot of
fun using it around town, no problems hitting
the local repeater. Recently purchased a case and
the Alinco mini speaker mic at Ham/Comm this past
June in Arlington, Tx.
Charges in two hours or less, no memory battery,
and under rather frequent use will go two to three
days until it needs charging again. I carried it
in my shirt pocket quite awhile before I bought
the leather case and started carrying it on my
belt. A fun radio, I wouldn't recomend it as a first primary ht, and also people should be reminded that with 340mw they aren't going to hit
the repeater in the next county. One last comment,
it is typical Alinco quality on audio-superb.

WA2QAC Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2000 21:43 Send this review to a friend
As seen in "Hollow Man" (Briefly)  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
A great little radio, but lacking in power. But it's so tiny, definitely a "shirt pocket" radio with a lot of features packed into it. Used it for 8 months before moving up to a higher power HT.

KF6RNU Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2000 09:31 Send this review to a friend
Nice radio!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Considering it's literally about the size of a credit card, it has a lot of features in a tiny box. I would have to say my favorite things about the radio are 1) It's easy to press buttons, and 2) It's Lithium-Ion battery. Although it has it's obvious limitations, I use the radio often. I've never had any mechanical problems with the radio either. The radio is fairly easy to operate. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Scott
KF6RNU

DOVER Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2000 07:21 Send this review to a friend
a fine backup radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is one of the smallest useful radios I have used.

weighting in at 85g, this little guy can be carried in a pocket of bag and *not* take up any room

I would not recomend this as a primary radio, it make a great choice as a mini spare or something you want to take with you when your HT is just to bulky.