Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | LDG AT-600Pro Memory Autotuner Help

Reviews Summary for LDG AT-600Pro Memory Autotuner
LDG AT-600Pro Memory Autotuner Reviews: 30 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $359
Description: The LDG AT-600Pro Memory Autotuner is another great LDG product!
More info: http://www.ldgelectronics.com

You can write your own review of the LDG AT-600Pro Memory Autotuner.

KQ0J Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2014 13:44 Send this review to a friend
Good tuner for the money  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this unit for over 2 years now so it has seen some hard work. It tunes well, sometimes takes a long time for a new setup. My antennas run from resonant to 10:1 on some bands and it handles them no problem. The only tuning issue I have is on 160M where it does not have enough range to force a 80M dipole to tune.

I regularly run up to 450W , never had any problems, noise, heat etc. Antenna switch is handy and the ability to match limited loads on 6M is nice too.

As with everything - read the manual before using it.

M1BJR Rating: 1/5 Apr 1, 2014 01:55 Send this review to a friend
Smoked and destroyed at 100W  Time owned: more than 12 months
Compact unit that initially appears to tune a wide range, albeit very noisily.
On the desk a full tune is akin to a plastic kids rattle-gun at full chat next to you - its loud and takes a good 30seconds sometimes.

Mine survived longer than some it seems but the failure was unexpected and catastrophic.

After a short memory tune on the dipole, at low power, and where it resonates on 20m with VSWR around 1.7:1, I settled into a QSO on SSB.
A few moments later it randomly begins a full tune again and instantly starts smoking so I switch the shack off immediately.

Returned to the repairs section of the UK agent ML&S who decided that this was 'Operator Error' and a warranty claim was not possible as a result.
Hello?!
The PCB has badly burned out, is not repairable, and is unusable on one port and I'm awaiting to see if they replace the unit as its just over a year old and carries a transferrable warranty of two years.
The operator here was blamed by ML&S for tuning it at high power. The LDG AT-600Pro is connected directly to a 100w barefoot modern rig with rollback...
The manual states clearly in this case that it can tune 125w in this format anyhow.

Disgusted at the approach taken by the UK agent MArtin Lynch & Sons, and the intimation that I am trying to deceive them.

LDG should reconsider how this affects the reputation in EU - yes things go wrong, its how you deal with them that matters.

No more LDG or ML&S for me ever again, lesson learnt.

Steve Lesson M1BJR

KF7VXA Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2014 20:22 Send this review to a friend
Great Auto Tuner  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I use the AT-600Pro with a 600 watt amp and it works perfect on every antenna I have. I usually run no more than 500 to 550 watts to save the tubes in the amp. I can't figure out why some have had problems unless there was something other than the tuner causing problems for the tuner.
It's fast, easy to learn and performs flawlessly.
It does make some noise on initial tune up's, but no worse than any other equipment with relays.
Remember to ground all your equipment including the tuner to a good ground, turn down the power and set on FM and it will do it's job every time.
Disable the auto tune when running over 100 watts as a change in SWR causing it to tune will put the full power through the relays. The ability to fine tune yourself if you choose to is great and it's so fast to use, I love it. Manuel tuners may have their place, but mine got put away within a couple days of getting the LDG unit and has not been used since.
I paid $299.95 from Giga Parts shipped. Great deal and I'd buy another if needed without hesitation. Great Product.

N0YXE Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2014 22:12 Send this review to a friend
Works WELL  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the 600 Pro 2 to go with my IC 7200 and my Toyko Hi Power 400 watt amp. I've had LDG auto tuners in years past and they all got sent back, but this was a new model. It works very well.
but It did refuse to tune 20 and 40 meters one time. I I changed to ten meters where it tuned everything and then went back to 20 and 40 where it worked perfectly. Go figure!? I can live with this occasional misbehavior. Overall, it does a fine job, and it is good for the money

K7LA Rating: 1/5 Oct 27, 2013 17:24 Send this review to a friend
Not Recommended   Time owned: more than 12 months
After 18 months of use in the shack, this unit does not come near its claimed specifications rating of 600 watts. It has been this ham's experience that it is good for about 300-350 watts maximum sustained use. After about 10 minutes of contesting or DXing it will be necessary for the operator to power down and nurse it along.

For the record, the station antennas while not resonant, are multi band with SWR of 1.7 to 1 which should be well within the range of this tuner. In addition, the shack equipment and antennas are grounded to a good earth ground.

Note if you are a barefoot operator, this overly noisy relay LDG unit will probably get you by just fine. Just don't plan on adding power to it later. This tuner will be replaced with higher quality equipment very soon. Thanks for reading.

7 3 de K7LA, DXCC, WAS

VK2FSTU Rating: 4/5 Jun 22, 2013 08:51 Send this review to a friend
A good tuner!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I wanted a tuner that would do the big Yaesu but only gave it a 4 because of it's difficulty in working compared to my LDG 100 which is much simpler and just works. This is a good unit, but the 100 walks all over it for simplicity and size.

KI4WMO Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2013 09:53 Send this review to a friend
Works great and as advertised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one of the last new ones available at a substantial discount not too long ago (LDG has been transitioning to the AT-600Pro2 which has an attachment for an external analog-style meter).

Really, I have no complaints. I've owned the lower-power versions of this tuner from LDG before and had not problems with them. Every function on this works exactly as it says in the manual. I use it to tune up my vertical antenna from 80m-10m and it consistently brings the SWR down to 1, or occassionally 1.3. I have also used it on 160m from time to time, and it is satisfactory there as well (I don't normally bother because the feeline losses with my antenna are huge.

The wattmeter reads pretty accurtae and in line with my calibrated peak reading meter in peak mode, and seems pretty close in carrier. The meters and the corresponding circuits are a little susceptible to things like common-mode currents or RF in the shack (most similar units are too), but that isn't normally a problem in my station. However, if you have too much RF in the shack with this (and most other) autotuners, you can both confuse the microprocessors, and also cause a falsely high SWR reading and cause additional tuning problems. If your station, however, is well and properly grounded, I would not expect this to be an issue with these units.

I should also note that I consistently run this unit right up to 600 watts on a regular basis on SSB (and sometimes on CW) and it hasn't had any problems. Now, my worst incoming mismatch on 10-40m is only about 3.5 to 1, so that probably isn't stressing the tuner. However, on 80m, the incoming mismatch is a bit higher, however, the tuner has not shown any problems or failures there either.

I generally do not use this tuner on 6m, as I have a resonant yagi for that band. I have used it once or twice on the station's vertical to tune 6m though, and it did just fine.

I don't know what the differences are other than the meter attachment between this and the Pro2. The paper specs seem similar. I don't have two units to pop the covers off of an compare though, so I really can't say. Realistically though, either would do the job. However, remember when buying used tuners in this power range to be careful and if possible, inspect the inside of the tuner - it is not uncommon for folks to push a 600W tuner to 800W, which in some instances can create too much stress on the internal components. For those of you who are going into power over 100W or 200W for the first time, this is far less of an issue with used tuners in that power range. Therefore, when buying a high power-rated tuner, if you can't inspect a used unit (or wouldn't know what to look for) you may be safer just buying new. In that case, you'll have to go with a Pro2 at this point.

As a final word that most anyone who has read this far probably knows - remember that all this box does is adjust the incoming antenna impedance to something that your amplifier and/or solid state radio like to see better, in order to allow those components to pump out more power and to increase the life of those items. It does not increase the efficeincy of the antenna and feedline itself. Hence, you can still have substantial losses, in some systems, due to mismatches at the antenna or by the feedline. Remember that every 3db of losses cuts your power in half. If you run resonant antennas, this isn't really an issue - if you are concerned about losses, you can look up the spces for the feedline you are using and get a pretty good idea of your losses.

However, when considering a non-resonant system (untuned verticals, etc. - which is what I use), your coax losses can be more severe by a considerbale factor. In other words, if the true SWR at the antenna (and across your feedline) is 7:1, the tuner may tune it, but the vast majority of your power is simply being wasted as heat in your feedline (as the loss figures on coax ratings are only accurate at their design impedence of around 50 ohms). This also puts more stress on the tuner and your other antenna system components as well, and increases the chance for shack RF and common mode currents, etc. Therefore, when using in-shack tuners, you do need to be aware of what your "naked" or "true" SWR is for the antenna system without the tuner, and if it is high, use low loss-coax in appropriate lenghths which will considerably lessen the issue (you may also consider, if possible in your situation, other antennas for that band). There is a lot more detailed information about this on the web and this site. (note - you can reduce these losses by remote mounting a tuner at the base of such an antenna - I don't know how this would hold up there even in a weather proof box, but I know some folks have succesfully done it and I've considered it). This, incidentally, is also why many of us who run untuned verticals run so many radials - I know it won't increase my "gain" but it does help, to a point (and the returns do diminish after a certain average conductivity is reached as a result of the radials) with lowering the SWR and the mismatch. Indeed, if done carefully, you can lower the SWR considerably, even on the infamous 43' vertical. (NB - tuned antennas with traps or coils have losses in other ways - which is better is a subject of longstanding debate).

This last bit has been my long winded way of saying - even a good tuner such at this one won't help your signal get out if the antenna system is too far matched. It may make the rig and amplifier happy, but you still could be disappointed with the results if you haven't carefully reviewed, analyzed, tested, and optimized your antenna system for your given shack situation.

Have fun!

ZS4U Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2012 21:35 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased a second hand AT-600 Pro with about a month left on the warrentee. The previous owner only used 100W so he never had a problem. I use an AL-811H and tuned up with 350w when the ferrite cores started cracking and disintegrating. I sent it to LDG and within a week I received a brand new tuner that has been working flawlessly ever since! Now I am running 600W through the tuner into a G5RV junior with no problem - the tuner has some great features and will tune automatically if it senses a high SWR. Memory tuning is very quick. The relays during the tuning is noisy but works just fine.

WD8T Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2012 13:03 Send this review to a friend
Great tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great tuner and it's been in operation for well over a year with an Ameritron AL-811 and OCFD antenna. I think it's a shame that some hams blame operator error or their own poor antenna/staton set up on a piece of equipment and then post a 1/5 review. Typical for eHam though.

KA3ZHX Rating: 4/5 May 16, 2012 22:34 Send this review to a friend
Pretty good tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The tuner itself is excellent, the manual is poorly written, the service response was excellent...There is alot of functionality in this tuner, it took me a little bit of time to figure out the UI, but once I got that dialed in, its been great