Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | N0SA Paddles Help

Reviews Summary for N0SA Paddles
N0SA  Paddles Reviews: 59 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $210. USD
Description: High quality dual and single lever paddles. Designed and built in the USA using a combination of CNC and manually operated machinery along with hand finishing and polishing to produce high performance CW instruments for the Ham radio community.

n0sa.keys@gmail .com

(Web site missing—add URL)

You can write your own review of the N0SA Paddles.

W4RK Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2013 17:51 Send this review to a friend
Beautifully Integrated Craftsmanship  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I met Larry, N0SA, through the Summits on the Air (SOTA) program and found out quite by accident that he had been making paddles. Although Larry was not actively seeking orders, I learned that he had one of his TP series and one of his ESP series paddles still in stock. One look at his website convinced me that I wanted both, the TP for the shack and the ESP for field use. The website has beautiful high resolution photos of everything he makes so you can really see what you will be getting.
I received both paddles today and spent several hours enjoying both. My frame of reference is a Begali Signature which I have owned for over 5 years. The ESP is a scaled down version of the TP but gives up nothing in performance and feel to get a smaller size. The ESP has a lot of flexibility in mounting and the options are well described on Larry's website: "www.n0sa.com"
The visual appeal of both paddles is excellent and the care and attention to detail in their construction is obvious. The performance is where they exceeded my expectations. I found myself cranking my keyer up beyond my usual speed range and had no difficulty in getting clean, accurate sending. I credit the N0SA paddles with the difference.
I have no hesitation in recommending Larry's TP and ESP paddles to anyone who values excellent workmanship and high performance coupled with outstanding customer service.
73, BILL, W4RK

K1PJR Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2013 10:45 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I saw that Larry was not making any keys. I sent him an email and asked to keep me in mind if he started to make any keys in the future. He emailed me back a few weeks later saying he was finishing up a single paddle model and would I like it. Of course I said yes and I couldn't be happier.

Along with the SP2 I also have the Begali Simplex Mono. Arguably two of the best single lever paddles on the market. I also contacted Ignacio EA2CTB and asked that me make me a plexiglass cover. I should have that next week. He made a cover for my Begali and they are excellent.

Thanks Larry!

W2KS Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2013 06:56 Send this review to a friend
Exceptional!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I once owned a N0SA TP-4, but sold it to make room for another rig (sound familiar?). I was sorry I did so. Last week I was on Larry's website and noticed that no keys were currently in production. One of the keys I took notice to was his new TP iambic paddle. So I contacted Larry to ask when he was going to put the keys back into production. Larry came back to me that afternoon and said he would be happy to make one for me. I took up his offer then and their. Within 4 days I had the key on my bench!!!!! The TP is a work of art, and so precise that it is a pleasure to use with barely any effort at all. This is one key I will never let go.

N7XM Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2012 15:10 Send this review to a friend
Sweet Paddle !!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recently got the ESP iambic paddle from Larry N0SA.
It's pretty tiny - but feels like a big precision
paddle - I have been pounding the holy brass for over half a century now - I am impressed with the
feel of this Tiny " GEM "- you have the option of a steel base OR use a very light weight base which you would attach to something - My intentions are using it for TRAVEL, but it will definitely see use from my home station. This is NOT a toy !
It's a precision iambic paddle with magnetic " springs ", with the ability to make very fine adjustments
to spacing and tension ! You will not be disappointed .

K4JK Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2012 06:30 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have owned Larry's Iambic TP-4 paddle for several months now, and I have to say I am more than happy with it. I wanted something that would give me years of reliable results, look good, and not break the bank. After reading the other eHam reviews I concluded that Larry's paddles fit these requirements perfectly.

The workmanship is first rate- we're talking quality work obviously done by an experienced machinist who takes pride in the finished product. The simple, yet elegant design looks great on my operating table.

The action is great and is easily adjustable. I prefer a short and somewhat solid action, so I have very little lever travel and the return magnets dialed in pretty close. The adjustments are easy to make- it took me only a few minutes- and you can easily "lock" them in with the supplied allen wrench.

Larry's customer service is first rate. I emailed him to inquire about the availability on a Friday. He replied quickly and said that he was out of the TP-4 model, but if I gave him the go-ahead he would build one for me over the weekend. I sent him a check that day and he shipped the paddle on Tuesday when he received it. I had a made in the USA, brand-new "hot-off-the-mill" paddle hooked up to my rig in less than a week.

Like all hams I worry about the purchases I make, and go through bouts of "buyers remorse", real or imagined. But NOT with this purchase. I'm 100% happy that I decided to buy one of Larry's paddles and feel lucky that I own one. Easily the best purchase I have made as far as ham-related gear.

I understand Larry had surgery on his hands, and it not able to produce paddles as quickly. I want to wish him a speedy recovery. Take care of those hands Larry!

K6LEN Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2012 22:33 Send this review to a friend
Very impressed!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just received my N0SA SP2 single-lever paddle from Larry last week. I had been reading the glowing reviews here on Eham and admiring the beauty and workmanship of these beautiful paddles on the N0SA website. I e-mailed Larry saying that I am interested in an SP2, and he responded very quickly stating that he has had surgery on both hands, and will not be making any paddles for some time. I asked to be put on the waiting list for a future time. Well, I received a note back about a month later that he was, thankfully, doing better and if I am still interested, he can build one for me that week-end. Within a week I received #114 and am very impressed with the detail and feel of this key. I own Begali and Schurr paddles, and I feel that this paddle is easily in the same league for a LOT less money. Larry is a great person to work with and I am very grateful to be able to add this work of art to my collection. Thanks Larry, and I wish you a complete recovery.

W7XU Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2012 08:19 Send this review to a friend
Very nice  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been a ham now for nearly 44 years and throughout that time I've been primarily a cw operator. I bought a TP4 from Larry somewhat over a year ago, and although I continue to occasionally use my Bencher and Kent iambic paddles, the TP4 has come to be the paddle I choose for day to day use.

Larry provided prompt, friendly service and a well made product. The design is aesthetically pleasing and the paddle has a very nice feel. I have a pretty light touch on the paddles, but the base is heavy enough that it will stay put even for those of you who are, dare I say it, more ham-fisted.

I could echo some of the compliments others have made, but the short version is that I enjoy using the TP4 and rate it very highly.

W8FA Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2012 14:21 Send this review to a friend
Brilliant  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This review concerns the seller's single-lever paddle Model SP2. The picture above is not this model. For pictures and features go to the seller's website www.n0sa.com. I purchased this single-lever paddle to compliment his iambic paddle Model TP4 which I had previously purchased. I was impressed by the performance and workmanship of this other model and his fast customer service. And just like before, this new paddle arrived in days and was neatly packed with an enclosed instruction sheet. The seller stayed in constant email contact with me until I received the paddle. I notice after a long day I make more sending mistakes late at night. That's when I switch to a single-lever paddle which results in fewer mistakes. The seller's single-lever paddle Model SP2 is streamlined and beautiful. Dare I say, stunning. I ordered the clear light-red fingertips for extra flash. The brass plate engraved with the model and serial number at the rear of the paddle adds a nice touch. I like the textured powder coated base on this paddle. In the past, I've had some chrome plated paddles break down and rust. I've also had uncoated brass paddles tarnish badly. I know textured powder coating is durable because I have a paddle (bug) I bought in the 1960's with this coating and it still looks good. This paddle looks even better than the pictures on the seller's website. It comes completely wired with a shielded cable and your choice of 1/8" or 1/4" plug. It's plug and play. That's important to me. Although I'm a dedicated homebuilder, it annoys me when I have to wire a paddle after paying a fair price. This paddle takes up little space on the operating table. It's heavy with soft rubber feet that really grip. Even if your sending is abusive, I don't think it will move. The paddle design, materials, machining, base coating, polish and attention to detail is first class. There are no tool marks or scratches. It's easy to adjust. It has fine threads on all adjustments which are in plain view. There are no cover plates, or looking around the back, or corners, to obscure vision when making adjustments. The magnetic tension can be adjusted from very light to heavy. I like it very light. It has a strong uncluttered top lock down mechanism for each adjustment post. I don't think it will go out of adjustment even if you tap it with a small brass hammer. The paddle action is smooth with no play. It has a very light subtle snap at the instant of keying which gives it a good tactile quality. I ran a few tests on this paddle at the shop. First, the paddle was set to key at the absolute minimum contact spacing. Tension was set at minimum. Adjustments were then locked down. This was at room temperature, 72 F. Next, the temperature was changed to opposite extremes. It was lowered to 0 F and tested, then raised to 150 F and tested. Code was sent at 45 wpm at these temperatures. There were no misfires or sticky contacts. I did this test because I have had thermal expansion problems on some designs by other manufacturers. I'm not sure why this is so, but just guessing it might be because some designs have levers that are way too long, or, the lever is too far off the optimum 1:1 length radio, or, the levers are L-shaped and make a 90-degree bend before the contact which changes the lever-to-contact geometry during thermal expansion and contraction. Or, it might be expansion and contraction in the bearing/ bearing race, although this seems unlikely. Who knows? The next test was loading the levers at the fingertip end of the paddle using a modest weight pushing straight down to see how much the mechanism/bearing assembly would flex under load. There was negligible flex. Measurement was taken using an electronic dial test indicator on an inspection grade granite surface plate. The last test was to check paddle sensitivity. I used a small dynamometer to measure the minimum force required on the paddle fingertips to close the contacts when the tension was set at minimum. The force required was on par with paddles costing double. There are also paddles I've tested costing triple which are not as sensitive. This result did not surprise me because the levers on this paddle are made of lightweight 7075 aircraft aluminum (polished) and not the heavier brass or plated steel. That's what I like about aircraft aluminum levers, they are more responsive owing to less inertia. Also, these levers are not longer than necessary, so there is less mass to move. Finally, I really like the quality machining on this paddle. It has nicely knurled thumbscrews, chamfered or rounded edges on various components, stainless steel hardware and solid silver contacts. There are no blemishes on the shiny surfaces. The whole mechanism is mounted on a polished aircraft aluminum mounting block and this, in turn, is mounted on a textured powder coated base. I'm a big fan of using mounting blocks even though it increases machining time and cost. It just makes a more professional job and really adds to the appearance. The miniature precision stainless steel ball bearings are embedded in the mounting block, or course. What I especially like is when you turn the paddle upside down and look at the bottom of the base. You will see that all the stainless screws/bolts and electrical connections have been countersunk into the base. Nothing sticks out. It's flat on the bottom. I appreciate the extra machining time this takes. It shows the pride the seller puts into the hidden details. In conclusion, I think this paddle is an exceptional value. It looks great. It works great. I don't know the seller, but I believe he has put a lot of thought into this design and is passionate about crafting the fine details.

K6HL Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2012 20:01 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The picture above doesn't do this key justice. Go to Larry's website for a better view and believe me, it works as well as it looks. Compared to my old single paddle vibrokeyer, its like going from a Yugo to a Ferrari. Smooth and effortless and once you have it adjusted the way you like, it stays that way. It's surprisingly small, but its heavy and doesn't move around the table. There are lots of choices in paddles, but If you're interested in a new one, this one is certainly worth your consideration.

W8FA Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2012 14:49 Send this review to a friend
Love this paddle  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the TP4 iambic paddle from the seller after studying the design features and pictures on his website www.n0sa.com. I have been a CW fan for 45+ years and have owned and operated a number of high-quality paddles made in the USA as well as some British, German and Italian imports. This paddle is among the best. It is now my paddle of choice. It has increased my sending speed with less errors. It just feels right. The design is well thought out. The styling is flowing without being overly artistic or gaudy. It has nice clean lines. Adjustments and gap spacings are out in the open for easy viewing. Elegant and functional. There is no play in the mechanism and it runs smooth and breaks crisply when keyed. It is easily adjustable for a wide range of contact spacings and tension. The base is small but heavy enough that it will not move around on the operating table by those with a heavy hand that tend to slap their paddle. It was quick to adjust my preference for close contact spacing and an extremely light tension touch. I run a 100+ man machine shop catering to the semiconductor industry so I am quite critical when it comes to design, materials, coatings, platings, machining and finish. In my humble opinion the workmanship is excellent, especially for the modest price the seller is asking. I couldn't make it for this price in my shop, for sure. Therefore, I can see this paddle is a labor-of-love. The seller responded to my first email within an hour; on the weekend, no less! The paddle arrived within days and was well packed. The seller was in constant communications through shipping until the paddle
arrived. It's your choice, you could spend double on a paddle and not be sure you will have the equal of this paddle.