Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Atlas 210X/215X Help

Reviews Summary for Atlas 210X/215X
Atlas 210X/215X Reviews: 39 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $200-250
Description: Later versions of the venerable Atlas 210 mobile HF xcvrs
More info: http://www.davepick.btinternet.co.uk/atlas/

You can write your own review of the Atlas 210X/215X.

F6HCM Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2008 22:11 Send this review to a friend
Que du bonheur !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought there is a 15 day Atlas-210x ...
This is probably one of the last manufactured.
What happiness with this transceiver!
Thank you ATLAS Radio Co !

KH6FH Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2007 13:18 Send this review to a friend
Still works  Time owned: more than 12 months
This weekend I stumbled across these reviews of the Atlas 215X. In 1975 I bought this radio for a boat that I lived on. In 1981 I sold the boat and removed the radio. This site reminded me that I still had this radio. So I found it and the wire dipole that I used in 1981 in a plastic milk crate in the garage. I dusted it off, draped the dipole antenna oved my deck. It came on and worked perfectly. It still has great audio. I was able to contact a British Columbia station from here in New Mexico. So I am back on the air again.

WD5CND Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2007 07:45 Send this review to a friend
Need more radios like this radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the 210x with base and mobile consoles. This in my opinion is a great radio, mainly because it is very simple to operate. Some of these modern radios are so complicated; that it is a bit intimidating. With all our updated technology it seems to me that ham radios would be made simpler to use and not so complicated that a person has to keep the manual within arms reach at all times. That is not why I became a ham radio operator. I also have a 350XL and seems the only problems encountered are when the digital display is turned on that one of the single digit displays has two ledís that will not light up all the time. I plan on adding another 210x or 215x to my station, that way I can relax and make contacts instead of playing with menus and deciding what perimeters needs to be changed searching for perfection.

N9XBG Rating: 5/5 Oct 9, 2006 18:03 Send this review to a friend
Simple but great rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had an Atlas 210-X for a couple of years, used it all the time. While other rigs sat in the off position until I decided to get a new rig. Bought an FT-897 and boxed up all the old stuff and sold it off. Big mistake, I like my FT-897, but of the old rigs I missed the Atlas 210-X the most. Just purchased one off ebay, came in a suitcase with log book of old owner included (was being sold from an estate)rig was untested and I started looking in the old log book and last QSO was 7/18/1983 (my 32cd birthday). I received it last Friday powered it up Saturday morning and have made about 30Q's since then. Very little drift, full power out, no problems. I will be keeping this rig for a back-up and weekend fun. Now to get a Atlas 215-X so I can use it on 160m!

PA0FRI Rating: 4/5 Jul 23, 2006 07:02 Send this review to a friend
Still a great rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have an Atlas-210 and an Atlas-210X for 2 years. It is a simple radio to use and it works well. You can listen to the audio all day with no fatigue, as it is natural and rich. The receiver performance still compares with many modern rigs and is very often much better then all the new designs. The VFO is drifting a little bit, but not too much. Transmit audio is superb with a high quality crystal 8 pole ladder filter in the single IF. That same filter is a little wide (2.7 kHz) on receive but has good skirt selectivity. The power consumption on receive is very low, current is on receive around 180mA with the scale illumination off. The poppy audio derives AGC can be improved. I did more than one mods on 3 types: Atlas-210, Atlas-210x and Atlas-215x. See for information my website: http://www.xs4all.nl/~pa0fri => Mods

VA3HIJ Rating: 4/5 Aug 13, 2005 21:14 Send this review to a friend
A good radio with great recieve  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had this radio for 11 months now and it
performs quite well. A radio that can be used for a mobile or base which I have both cradles.Easy to use and it performs.Thanks Nick for introducing
it to me.

KF9Z Rating: 4/5 Apr 27, 2005 17:51 Send this review to a friend
Nice basic radio with great RX audio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well...I was able to purchase a FCC enforcement version of the Atlas 210X with 11-meters enabled. A fellow ham that worked for Atlas told me that very few were made for the FCC to monitor and enforce the 11-meter band. They were made with a factory dial with the entire 11-mter band displayed. It does (or did) transmit on 11-meters from the factory. The radio is identical in all respects to the ham 210x but for CB. The radio actually has a great receiver with decent filtering. The rig has fantastic RX audio as well. It does drift but that can be dealt with either by fixing the problem or by adjusting the VFO dial. It is a simple radio to use and it works well. The output transistors can go south easily from thermal run-away so be careful while transmitting and keep the rear of the radio cool. I picked mine up for next to nothing at a local hamfest and I have been extremely happy with it. If you can find one for $150 or so I would do so. I have seen them sell for $30-225 lately. It is a hard radio to beat for those prices. You can listen to the audio all day with no fatigue, as it is natural and rich. It is also a very fun radio to use and that is how I judge the Atlas-210X.

AA7EJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2005 10:52 Send this review to a friend
Atlas 310X ?  Time owned: more than 12 months
Yes, I do own 210X and love this SIMPLE rig.
Yes, it does drift, especially on 15 meters.
Long time ago I asked Herb why he designed individual LO for each band.
I do have a reply letter, signed by Herb, where he explained why he did that.But he did not mentioned when the components of the LO get older they will affect only one band HI HI HI HI!
The receiver front end is superb, clean of digitaly generated noise - rated 5.
It was advertized as SSB rig and it is a challenge to use on CW - but my hand key makes up for lack of sidetone. So, 5 again!
So, I rated it - here is my main reason for writing this.

Anybody knows anything about Atlas 310X which was a commercial failure. I actally got a reply from some executor of Herb's will about some documetatin about 310, but lost this contact.

It seems that few hams would like to see simple rig like 210 and I believe 310 was heading that direction. I think its design, at least in marketing glossies, was in some aspects little more in touch with technological advances than some of the today's home brew rigs.

LA6UIA Rating: 4/5 Oct 28, 2004 11:45 Send this review to a friend
Great fun  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got my 210x one month ago for the equivalent of $200. From the first moment I have been impressed by its audio quality. The trx gets the best signal reports, and the rcv is very easy to adjust and provides a clear signal with low noise.

My other rig is a FT-897, which does *not* present the same SSB quality: For some reason the FT is more difficult to tune, and presents a signal less readable (more noisy). I have never been using SSB a lot (most CW) and for the first time, I think SSB is fun.

I have had no problems with VFO drift (as others have reported) and I use the rig for CW as well now that I have added an external keyer with a side tone.

Ham radio is about fun and magic; I made my first transatlantic contact on 10m today with the 210x. At present it's the only rig on my desk, the FT-897 is in a backpack arrangement awaiting some outdoor duty.

This rig has added to the fun of my hobby, and I am grateful to its designers for providing this simple and efficient piece of equipment.

pros: simple, robust, nice sound
cons: no warc, no qsk, no rit

Anders Fongen, LA6UIA

N5XYO Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2003 10:55 Send this review to a friend
Fine, simple, tough rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought mine from a CB shop 20 years ago for 50 bucks, sent it to RF Parts and they got it back to factory specs and got me a mic for it! It's been in many trucks and deer camps. This old rig continues to amaze me. For what it is , you can't beat it.
I wish someone made a modern version with none of the frills. ie. memory, dsp, etc. Just a plain mobile rig for not too many bucks....and tough as an anvil like the Atlas 210!!