Reviews Categories | Antenna parts, accessories, incl. baluns, hardware, etc. | Balun Designs 4:1 Unun #4134s Help

Reviews Summary for Balun Designs 4:1 Unun #4134s
Balun Designs 4:1 Unun #4134s Reviews: 12 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $78.95
Description: Heavy duty 4kw, 4:1 unun designed for use with wire verticals, long wires and monopole verticals. Utilizes stacked cores to deliver efficient broadband performance and high power rating across all HF frequencies. Works well with both internal and external antenna tuners.
More info: http://www.balundesigns.com/servlet/the-76/unun-4-cln-1-wire-vertical/Detail

You can write your own review of the Balun Designs 4:1 Unun #4134s.

OZ1DTF Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2016 05:38 Send this review to a friend
Great UNUN for end-fed antennas  Time owned: more than 12 months
For those of you which like me have a very small lot and a bad radio QTH it is not necessary to buy "miracle end-fed wire antennas". You can create the miracle yourself. I use about 45 feet of wire strung out from my window at 15 feet height and terminate the wire at the far end of the garden at 6 feet height. I even have to bend the wire in horizontal L-shape. In the shack I have the Balun Designs 4:1 UNUN 4134s and grounded at the water based radiator with a short wire. At the antenna connector of my barefoot TS-590S I have a CMR choke. It was not planned, but I turned the radio on this sunday morning and noticed that the ARRL SSB Contest was going on. Within about 2 hours I worked 12 states barefoot 100W PEP. The wire is slooping in the wrong direction for W/VE and the radiation is through the building. I am aware that the result mainly depends on the big antennas the other stations are using, but still there is no doubt that this simple antenna works very well. Today it is likely that I would order the UNUN Model 4932 or 4935 which have both 4:1 and 9:1 ratio.

NP4GW Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2015 17:17 Send this review to a friend
Great 4:1   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought there 4-1 for my zero five 43ft vetical, These Baluns are built very tough, There priced well and the people there are very helpful. Dont waist your money on a cheep Balun, Go to there web page and see for yourself,

K6ZB Rating: 5/5 Dec 26, 2014 07:48 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding quality of design and construction  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased the model with SO-239 connectors on both ends - Configuration: 4134u - Dual SO-239. This is because I was replacing a similar but lower powered unit that was overheating at more than 150w. This baby handles 400 watts well. If you look inside, you'll see it has the finest construction of any BALUN or UNUN on the market.

K9TWO Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2014 23:53 Send this review to a friend
Perfect  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this Unun for my Zero Five 43 foot vertical. It will cover all frequencies from 40-6 meters with just using the internal tuners on my FTDX-3000 or my Ic-7600. I only have maybe 10 radials of various length, I live on a small lot.
I recently converted the 43 foot Zero Five to an inverted L antenna by adding 45 feet of small gauge wire to a tree. The end is about 15 feet high. Boy does it now work great for local and DX. I also used a small size nylon cord on the opposite side so the addition of the wire would not bend the antenna over.

I listen to G0EVY several times per month and His signal went up at least 10 db and the local gang on 7160 went up about 20 db. I am super happy with the Unun and the mods I have done.I was totally surprised.

-73 K9TWO Since 1959

N0YXE Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2013 19:57 Send this review to a friend
UNUM 9:1 #9130  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I thought that all was hopeless for having an antenna outside. For years of fighting a Nazi homes association, a totally psycho neighbor, selling four or five previous antennas, and spending $1.200 to have the HOA attorney drop a pending court summons, I finally found a solution. My duplex is small and the roof, at twenty feet hight, did not offer much space. I attached 36' of antenna wire to a Balum Design 9:1 unum and tucked it all under the shingles of my roof. The balum itself was off of the side of the roof. I used 50' of coax and used a window jumper into a bedroom window that was covered with foliage. Nothing is observable. 80 meters through 6 meters is fully tunable either by the onboard or external tuner. A most excellent design.

KI4WMO Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2013 20:22 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Ordered this for my 43' vertical to replace an LDG 200W version when I decided to add an amplifier to the station. I only run about 600-700W max through it, but it never even seems to get warm at that level (the LDG would get hot at 100W). Also handles sustained digital modes around 300W without breaking a sweat. Having looked inside, I have no doubt that it would handle full rated power easily. This is one piece that looks as good inside as the online pictures. Really just excellent construction and (I almost hate to say it) UNDER priced for what it is. Thanks!

ZL1PB Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2011 14:34 Send this review to a friend
The very best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Superb quality and service, Bob promptly anwers your emails. What more could you ask for.

V47JA Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2011 19:23 Send this review to a friend
I was wrong.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am using the Balun Designs, 4:1, 4134s UnUn with my S9 type 31' Vertical, and all I can say is the performance is amazing.
In the 50+ years that I have been licensed I have never owned a Vertical. To me a Vertical was an antenna, that "is equally bad in all directions", that is why I have only owned Yagis or Dipoles. Boy was I wrong about Verticals!
I have the 31' S9 type Vertical, to the 4134S UnUn, with the "ground" side of the UnUn to the metal roof. From the UnUN 40' of LMR400, to a MFJ-962C Tuner, to a Kenwood TS-590S.
All bands 10-40 meters can be tuned to 1.3:1 or LOWER. On air signal reports, and receive S-meter, were consistantly AT LEAST 2 to 3 S-Units better then the all-band 80-10m Dipole at 30'.
To make a long story short, during the month of July, with "vacation" style operating, I made over 2600 contacts in 126 countries.
I am sure the location 300' from thr Caribbean, and the metal roof helps, but the bottom line is the Balun Designs 4134s UnUn performance was solid and exceptional.

John V47JA - W5JON

KH6DC Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2010 22:08 Send this review to a friend
Cheap & Works Great  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Like I said in the title, cheap, works great, simple. Highly recommend Balun Designs.

K5GIL Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2010 11:50 Send this review to a friend
Great design, incredible quality  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought the Balun Designs 4134 unun to go with my S9 Antennas 31' Vertical. John K9EX at S9 recommends this unun for this vertical. I was lucky enough to get a tour of Balun Designs's workshop - Bob KZ5R puts so much care and quality into his baluns and ununs. Before I installed the 4134 I took it to my Ham Club Meeting "show and tell" to let the other Hams witness the craftsmanship. The 4134 allows my S9 31' vertical to tune up across 80 - 10M, under 2:1 at my rig. Great product, great value. Thanks Bob and balundesigns.com!