Reviews Categories | Antenna parts, accessories, incl. baluns, hardware, etc. | Balun Designs 4:1 Unun #4134s Help

Reviews Summary for Balun Designs 4:1 Unun #4134s
Balun Designs 4:1 Unun #4134s Reviews: 12 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $78.95
Description: Heavy duty 4kw, 4:1 unun designed for use with wire verticals, long wires and monopole verticals. Utilizes stacked cores to deliver efficient broadband performance and high power rating across all HF frequencies. Works well with both internal and external antenna tuners.
More info: http://www.balundesigns.com/servlet/the-76/unun-4-cln-1-wire-vertical/Detail

You can write your own review of the Balun Designs 4:1 Unun #4134s.

W7KOL Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2010 11:41 Send this review to a friend
4-1 Balun  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought there 4-1 for my home brew vetical, These Baluns are built very tough, There priced well and the people there are very helpful. Dont waist your money on a cheep Balun, Go to there web page and see for yourself,

KD5BYB Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2010 09:45 Send this review to a friend
Quality product, reasonably priced, works well!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this Un-Un to go with my homebrew 33' wire vertical antenna. This antenna without the Un-Un, while having a great SWR on 40M, was very difficult to use on other bands, even with an external, wide-range tuner. It also seemed to only "get out" on 40M.

Ordering the Un-Un was simple and easy - Balun Designs' webpage is easy to navigate and check-out was a snap. I ordered my unit with the optional N connector (a $3 option) and it took just over a week from placing my order to the unit arriving at my QTH. Balun Designs sent me an e-mail when the unit shipped.

When it arrived, I found it to be well-packed for its trip. The first thing I noticed was weight of the unit - this is a tough, well-built piece of equipment. The N connector is a quality silver-plated unit and all the hardware appears to be stainless steel.

Of course, being a ham, I took off the cover to see inside. The quality continues inside - the magnet wire is teflon sleeved, the internal connections are both crimped and soldered, and it is apparent that a lot of care went into its design and construction.

Considering the level of care and the high quality materials used, the unit is well worth the purchase price.

Of course, the proof of the pudding is in the eating - or in this case, the operating! I connected the unit to my 33' vertical and took a look at the result with my Micro-908 Antenna Analyzer hooked directly to the Un-Un. At first I was quite dissapointed - the SWR from 1 to 60 MHz was, on average, higher than without the Un-Un. However, when I inserted the tuner in-line, I found that I could now tune the antenna anywhere in the ham bands from 80M all the way up to 6M! This was something not possible before installing the Un-Un.

Over the weekend, I had the opportunity to try the antenna out on all bands from 10M to 40M. Before the Un-Un, my farther contact on 25 watts PSK-31 had been within the Continental United States. Over the weekend, I was able to work anyone I could hear with 25 watts on PSK-31: Poland, Hungary, Germany, both European and Asiatic Russia, and Columbia. Most of these were on 20M, but I did have a few QSO's on 40M, 30M, and 10M.

As you can tell, I'm very pleased with this unit and recomend it highly.