Reviews Categories | QRP Radios (5 watts or less) | Vectronics VEC-1240K QRP Transmitter Help

Reviews Summary for Vectronics VEC-1240K QRP Transmitter
Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $$29.95
Description: 1 watt 40 meter QRP transmitter kit
More info: http://vectronics.com

You can write your own review of the Vectronics VEC-1240K QRP Transmitter.

W0KIZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2011 22:58 Send this review to a friend
Extremely reliable, easy build.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used this qrp transmitter as a vxo for my 10 meter beacon. It has been in continuous use since January 2003. It runs 24/7 and drives a 6cl6 quadrupler and a 5763 to 10 watts output. The keying is reliable and sounds good on the air. The vxo function allows me to keep the old FT243 crystal within 50 hz on 28236.5 khz. This was purchased before Vectronics was bought out by MFJ. Can not speak for the kits now produced by MFJ.

KG6QNK Rating: 4/5 Aug 17, 2011 13:50 Send this review to a friend
Good... but I'm not quite that enthusiastic about it.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I needed to start somewhere and this was it. I also purchased the companion VEC-1140k 40m receiver. Integration was not exactly seamless for me; no AGC, meant blasting sidetone etc.
All said and done, I wound up with kind of a mini-QRP base station. As a result, I now prefer Super-Het Transceivers Kits...operation tends to be more seamless and Trail Friendly. However I would consider the: VEC-13XX series QRP Transceiver Kit although it is Direct Conversion.
My VXO would not for whatever reason shift as much as advertised. I did notice crack in tuning capacitor housing. Maybe I stepped on it or something and that had something to do with the lack of VXO coverage?
This transmitter does sound good, nice shaped note.
Enclosure is purchased seperate. Both the XMTR and RCVR enclosure controls required modifying (enlarging or redrilling holes). Newer kits, may not have this problem.
You will need to call it as you see it on this one. It is an easy to build kit and basic stand-alone performance is not bad; however, I would not be in any big hurry to run out and buy another one.

N7JBH Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2010 09:39 Send this review to a friend
Great peanut whistle  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is an awesome little QRP transmitter kit.. It has the ability to tune several KHZ around the crystal frequency and has a receiver jack for QSK and sidetone monitor. It is superior to it's major competitor in several ways, very small size and a metal case, as opposed to plastic. I've used this trasmitter coupled with a Tecsun PL-600 and Radio Shack DX-390 at work, and made a surprising number of 40M contacts in the 200-500 mile range during the day. I use an end fed long wire strung between two HVAC units and fed with RG-214 on the roof, no antenna tuner. It's amazing how far 1 watt can go under the right conditions, I have yet to try it at night, when 40 meter propagation is even better.
73 ES GUD DX