Reviews Categories | QRP Radios (5 watts or less) | Small Wonder Labs DSW40 Help

Reviews Summary for Small Wonder Labs DSW40
Small Wonder Labs DSW40 Reviews: 23 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $130.00 w/case
Description: A Direct Digital Synthesis Monoband QRP Transceiver
More info: http://www.smallwonderlabs.com/

You can write your own review of the Small Wonder Labs DSW40.

N4QA Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2000 12:00 Send this review to a friend
My DSW-40 is on order ( April 08, 2000 ) so I'll h  Time owned: unknown months
From talking to Dave and from reading reviews here and elsewhere, I'm already
convinced that I made a good choice by ordering the Small Wonder Labs
DSW-40 Forty meter QRP DDS CW xcvr. This is the rig that I've been looking
for and I now realize that it's been around for a year or so. I won't go into all the
steamy details until I've built and operated the rig for a while but you can be sure
that a FULL report is forthcoming. I am REALLY excited about this rig !
Bill N4QA

WD0EFL Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2000 20:38 Send this review to a friend
What a great 1-band rig  Time owned: unknown months
This rig is a great, rock solid, 1-band rig. It was a breeze to put together, and worked the first time I fired it up. Had a little problem with not enough wire to complete the last coil (I thought I measured it right,) but Dave wasted no time getting more wire to me. I am 100% satisfied with this little rig. It is truly a remarkable design. I am sure that I will get many years of enjoyment from this transceiver, and would recommend it to anyone considering a 1-band QRP CW rig.

Anonymous Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2000 00:15 Send this review to a friend
Mucho fun per watt!  Time owned: unknown months
A great little radio! The included keyer means one less thing to carry in the backpack. Wonderful blend of analog and digital technology. KISS. Solid performance in an easy-to-use package. Easy construction for someone with some kit building experience. Even at home this radio is so much fun to use, the QRO rig is gathering dust. Highly recommended. My only downside was a rather long wait for the case and a couple of parts but the wait was worth it. The only thing missing is a memory keyer and ant tuner.

WA7EWG Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2000 14:39 Send this review to a friend
Very pleased  Time owned: unknown months
The kit worked from the very start. Quality parts and good instructions make this kit good for any level. Dave Benson answers his email quickly if you need any help.
The little radio has a lot of fun features and it really gets out well. 100% satisfied.

KC5ADF Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2000 19:32 Send this review to a friend
Tremendous First Timer Rig  Time owned: unknown months
Dave Benson has provided a wonderful kit in the DSW-40. I was a first-timer with this kit, yet the clearly printed circuit board and great instruction manual made building this rig a piece of cake. It has really encouraged me to try even more advanced building projects. If you are a want-to-be kit builder and don't know which to try, I highly recommend this one or any other kit in the DSW series.

Good Job Dave!

KC5ADF
Bill Allen

JL1KRA Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2000 01:58 Send this review to a friend
Perfect digital start up  Time owned: unknown months
My initial version have contact failure in a provided wire assembly. Without the problem the rig worked perfect from start up and did many QSOs just after its completion. There is no rig like this! No alignment needed, but minimum adjustment remained for amateur interetst. Your quriousity will be satisfied. Blue beautiful case and 2SC799 final kind of vintage attract you too. There is no message memory in the built-in keyer. It is rather difficult use the function with external keyer like PK2/TiCK.

N9AVG Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2000 17:01 Send this review to a friend
DSW Series Breaks New Ground  Time owned: unknown months
I ordered my DSW-40 right after I saw it at Atlanticon 99. I had been looking for a single band kit for 40 and when I saw one that included a frequency annunciator, built-in keyer and it covered ALL of the band, I just had to have it. My DSW-40 has somehow become my primary rig. I get a solid 2.5 watts out using a 12v 7.2aH battery which lasts me all week. I've worked all states except for Hawaii on 40 meters with the DSW.

I've been so impressed with its sensitive but quiet receiver and solid design that I built a DSW-20 whch also operates flawlessly.

It took me 4 hours to build the DSW and it has been money well spent. I'd recommend it highly to anyone looking for a full-featured, easy to build, high quality single band CW transceiver kit.

K6SDW Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2000 13:39 Send this review to a friend
Most impressed......  Time owned: unknown months
This is the first QRp kit I've ever built so I can't say how it compares with the others. With that said, the kit went together in about 5 hours, the manual is very well written including well-done drawings, the board and parts seem to be of first rate quality and amazingly easy to "align!" The radio worked as described from the minute I plugged it in!!! I never could say the of the many, many Heathkits I put together back in the '60s and '70s.

In addition, I had a couple of questions which I emailed to Dave the owner and always received a prompt, information response...

The receiver is a joy to use and I wrote Dave that if it wasn't for the lack of AGC I swear I was using my $2,000 Kenwood!!

Besides impressive receiver design, I received nothing but excellent reports on the transmitter output (even with my lousy FIST, which is another story).

This has been a really fun project and being on 40-mtr CW for the first time in many, many years reminds me of my Novice days. I highly recommend trying QRp and Small Wonder Labs as a new challenge if you're feeling burned out with Ham Radio!

From my experience, I definitely will be buying more stuff from Small Wonder Labs!
/ed

NW7DX Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 1999 14:21 Send this review to a friend
DSW-40 WOW!!!!  Time owned: unknown months
I built the DSW-40 a couple months ago and I think that it is the BEST portable single band qrp rig. With the low RX current and very light weight, it is a keeper for all of your trips. Another thing that I Especially love is that this rig has GOT IT ALL inside! No need for a keyer or freq counter. Just plug in the power, plug in the paddles, add the antenna and you're ready to "play with the big boys".
I definately recommend this kit for both newcomers and seasoned folks alike. You will not be sorry.

K4EQ Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 1999 13:48 Send this review to a friend
The DSW is a keeper!  Time owned: unknown months
I agree with the others. This is a superb little QRP rig. I took my time building it and spent a couple of hours working on it each evening for five or six days. After the quick and easy alignment, it worked like a charm the first time I fired it up. And after three weeks of operating it and dozens of contacts (including lots of DX), I can't say enough good about it. I continue to get unsolicited, complimentary comments about its crisp, clean keying. I've already ordered one for 30 meters. If this isn't the finest single band QRP rig out there, I can't imagine what is.