Reviews Categories | Antenna Rotators & Accessories | Comet CTC-50M Flat Cable Window Gap Coax Jumper Help

Reviews Summary for Comet CTC-50M Flat Cable Window Gap Coax Jumper
Comet CTC-50M Flat Cable Window Gap Coax Jumper Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $45
Description: Flat wire coax jumper to get antenna coax into the radio room
without drilling holes in the wall or leaving a window/door open.

News from COMET:

The connector issue that had been reported in a few reviews has been solved. All CTC-50M jumpers in stock at the US dealer stores have standard connectors. If you require customer service contact NCG Company:

You can write your own review of the Comet CTC-50M Flat Cable Window Gap Coax Jumper.

KA8ZYZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2015 15:20 Send this review to a friend
What I should have gotten to begin with  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had the MFJ board mounted and sealed in the bottom of my window for the last 4 years. I really didn't like this set up. But when I saw the Comet CTM-50M I figured I would wait awhile to see how it faired with others. Got around to getting one, came today in the mail. Extremely easy installation. I was running with a SWR of 1.3 at 144MHz to 1.1 at 148. I don't want to speculate too much but I believe there may be slightly more loss on the (ribbon) coax between the tow connectors, as my SWR went to below 1.1 at 144MHz and 148MHz. I talked to a friend that said everything appeared to be the same on his end of my transmissions. I am a little perplexed. as I expected the higher frequencies to go up slightly. But they actually dropped slightly (maybe the MFJ thru-window connector was not as well connected).
Anyway, the quality of the Comet CTC-50M appears to be right on par with their antennas. The instructions said to use either double sided tape and/or screws to mount both ends. The tape and screws are included with the unit. The tape is like an extremely sticky piece of rubber that sticks like no tomorrow (not the usual double sided tape). I was concerned about the screw holes allowing water into the connector outside. Upon closer observation I saw that the holes are solid walled clear through the connector. All in all I am very impressed with the build quality and function. The CTC-50M is rated at 60 watts for VHF operation. I have a Yaesu FT-2800M I am running using 5 to 25 watts, And I don't think if I had to use 65 watts briefly in an emergency that the CTC-50M would suffer any damage. But the XYL likes it just because it cleaned up the shack a little. Updates will be coming in a year or so.
AF8JC Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2015 15:27 Send this review to a friend
No real substitute  Time owned: more than 12 months
I first tried using the MFJ wood panel with multiple feed-thru's, really like the idea. My slider windows didn't want to seal that well around the wood plank. The other issue was that the other end of the slider had nothing to seal against. So, I purchased this thing. After about a year, I wanted to help a fellow ham get back on the air in his new house, so I used my CTC50m pigtail on his window. Now, I was back to fiddling around with mini-coax and other work-arounds. Went out and purchased a second CTC50m to replace the one that I gave away. I also purchased the much cheaper tiny coax connector (Jetstream JT1010J2), but decided the Comet flat connector is simply the best way to go.
NR7J Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2014 19:53 Send this review to a friend
I love it.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I'm using one for my VHF/UHF dual band antenna and one for my HF antenna. I purchased an extra one for back up but I don't need it. If you need one and wants to save some money I can sell you mine.
KI7SY Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2014 14:29 Send this review to a friend
Difference between QRT and QRV!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Rented a brick house with aluminum sliding windows. Drilling holes was out of the question so I got the CTC-50. Ran it thru a rarely-used window to a 2m/70cm J-pole on the roof peak. No problem with RG-58 and PL-239 connectors, SWR avg. 1.2 - 1.4:1 Just be sure to seal your outdoor connectors from the weather. I used shrink tubing a a dab of Silicone. A little pricey to be sure but a lifesaver for rental dwelling hams! Worth checking out!
KA8SYX Rating: 4/5 Sep 1, 2014 08:17 Send this review to a friend
Works well, maybe I need another...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine for a couple of years, finally installing it in a second-floor window in my rented northern Virginia townhouse. Before I go any further, in fairness I have to say that this item is making the difference between radio from home and no radio from home. Due to all of the common factors related to work and family, neither mobile nor portable are real options for me, so this is it.

I experienced the PL-259 to M-style connector issue mentioned by some other reviewers. The seeming mismatch only became a real problem when any little wiggle on either of the connections associated with the CTC-50M would intermittently cause the SWR to go very, very high. To address this problem, in my installation I used male-male PL-259 barrel adapters between both ends of the CTC-50M and the upstream and downstream devices (antenna outside and low-pass filter inside) and packed an appropriately-sized O-ring into the gap between each end of the adapters. All of the connections are well maintained by the force applied by the O-rings to them, and I no longer experience the intermittent connections and SWR swings. I should probably use the double-sided tape that came with the feedthrough, though, and make the installation more stable.

However, seeing that some other reviewers are not having this problem, and there being reports of Comet having fixed the connectors I may need to try another - I have some other antennas I'd like to try.
M5AEO Rating: 2/5 Aug 14, 2014 13:04 Send this review to a friend
Update  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am writing 4 years later. The Comet CTC-50M cables finally disintegrated today, so they don't last forever. My installation was a bit vulnerable to wind and rain, but I expected a bit longer life out of them!

KD5FHW Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2014 05:45 Send this review to a friend
Great No-Hole Solution!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was hesitant to buy this expensive thing based on the advice of my local ham shop and some online reviews, but I'm glad I did because it saved a lot of work and mess. It installed easily in minutes and works great for my application.

I use it on my discone antenna for scanning and I'm planning on transmitting through it with an HT at times. I just hope it lasts.
AA9SD Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2013 18:05 Send this review to a friend
Great solution  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been setting up my shack and needed to get my coax inside without drilling holes in the wall. I purchased the Comet CTC-50m and had the antenna connected to my rig in five minutes. No holes in the wall and a pretty innocuous appearance. I used a window that is very seldom opened to feed it through so it shouldn't see much stress.

My PL259 connectors fit fine both from the feedline outside and the shorter jumper inside. The connections are tight and work well.

I agree with the comments about it being pricey though. $45 seems at least 5 times too much for it but there isn't much else to choose from. I also wouldn't put it in a window or door that is used very much (and that's what the instructions say as well). But the bottom line is it works as advertised for me.
K7JBQ Rating: 4/5 Feb 7, 2013 18:46 Send this review to a friend
Works well, not XYL-proof  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have no idea about what previous reviewers mentioned about fitting PL-259s. Never had that problem here.

Am on my third. First two were killed by XYL slamming the patio door shut.

Bottom line, they could be more robust, but they fill a need many hams (particularly those of us in Condo Hell) have, and do it well.

One thing I did with the last one was to wrap it all with electrical tape. So far, so good.

W2TAC Rating: 4/5 Feb 7, 2013 12:42 Send this review to a friend
Work Well for Right Window  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have five of these for my dipole antennas. They work very well for me, particularly given I feed them though a window I never open. I don't think it would be the perfect solution with a window that is used frequently. I'd rate at "5" if the price was more reasonable, but even at the high price they provide the best solution currently marketed for me.