Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Logging | HCLog Help

Reviews Summary for HCLog
HCLog Reviews: 1 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $$20.00
Description: Corresponding Log software to work in conjunction with BuckMaster Hamcall CD data and software
More info: http://hamcall.net/hclog.h

You can write your own review of the HCLog.

N1BBR Rating: 4/5 Jul 12, 2010 18:39 Send this review to a friend
Basic and Dependable  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased both the Hamcall CD with additional updates as well as the HClog software because I wanted to ensure I would have a log that would operate off-line.
Once I figured out that I needed to turn off my brick-wall alert system within my PC the installation when smooth as butter for both pieces.
Although the Hamcall and the HClog GUI are not latest technology, both softwares are super easy to use. Secondly, they are not overly burdened
with a spider-wed of multi-layered options.
But all of the essentials are there for my needs.
- The ability to enter a callsign and pull up city, state and country
- The ability to auto-populate callsign info into the logbook entries
- The ability to enter manually, previous logs from my paper log book
- The ability to see my current QSOís location on a world map once the info comes up
- The ability to customize the data field columns in the logbook to my preference

One of the nice features of Hamcall and HClog is that they do not require internet. They are good for home, field and the traveling ham.

Stand-alone options which it does not have that other programs may have:
- A grey-line world display which is nice, but how frequently do you really look at it?
- Some programs are so cluttered with buttons and options, itís hard for me to imagine a person actually using more than the bare essentialsÖ.
But thatís just me.

Internet-associated options which it does not have that other programs
may have:
- Incorporated DX spotting which is nice as an indicator of current band circuits between QTHs
- Incorporated Band activity graphs based on DX spotting data
- Atmospheric layers data and other propagation formulations

It is actually what they advertise it as... a BASIC logging program.

What you will experience with the Buckmaster people:
In my searching for a logging program I had the misfortune to connect with one developer who offers his logger product for free. I found him
to be consistently belligerent and arrogant with a super inflated ego, and he excelled in being insulting, especially to things having to do with U.S. Amateur radio. Thanks but no thanks!

Buckmaster Publishing and Hamcall have been around for quite a few years. They are a customer oriented group. I found them to be always
friendly, courteous and professional in my communications with them.

Thank you Buckmaster.