Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Icom IC-275A/H Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-275A/H
Icom IC-275A/H Reviews: 17 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $800.00
Description: 2m all mode base rig
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/support/archive/amateur/ic-275h.asp

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-275A/H.

HG5AZR Rating: 4/5 Jun 3, 2012 02:21 Send this review to a friend
receiver problem  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have IC-275H transceiver.Radio working fine but if strong signai is example on 144.575 Mhz in FM mode I hear it around 143.600 Mhz with signal 7. If you will test the radio with HT transceiver you will realise this problem.
My email:szegedyzoltan@t-online.hu

K8TIY Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2012 19:38 Send this review to a friend
Magnificent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased 275A based on what I had read here, via Ebay, and am delighted with this radio. Have not been able to evaluate well the SSB and CW performance (except, I note that QSK work on CW does not exhibit the distracting relay "clunk" I hear with my FT-950 on HF, this radio is dead silent) because of limited activity at QTH (I expect to change that!) but on FM this radio absolutely rocks.

For three consecutive nights I have gotten in-net or after-net feedback (whether on the net or SK monitoring) about my signal. All positive, in fact this evening the OT treasurer of the local club indicated I had (as I can recall) "the best signal on 2 meters I have ever heard, bar none." All that, and I'm using lower power now.

So for prospective buyers, the downsides. Evaluate carefully:

#0: This radio sucks (just kidding, I want to buy a bunch of them and want to drive down prices ;-)
#1: Mine has the optical shaft encoder problem on CCW rotation, meaning the freq jumps around a bit. Sometimes up, sometimes down. At least it trends in the right direction eventually! Icom has service bulletin, and if that fails the good guys at the ICOM Service Center - MI have replacements. I will prolly have it fixed. Eventually. I'm having too much fun with it right now to bother. Direct frequency entry would be nice. If you require it, shop elsewhere.
#2: This is an expensive radio. Until the three bigs resume making 2m all-modes you are stuck in a seller's market. I think partly it's the 2012 TEOTWAWKI scare combined with the QRP movement.
#3: When the coin cell battery dies, the rig dies. pseudo-Permanently. The radio's microprocessor brain is sustained in a battery-powered volatile computer memory, and when the batt gets low there is a procedure for removing the board, attaching an external power source, desoldering the batt and replacing, and getting everything back together. To heck with that. Piexx has a replacement non-volatile module you can drop in. The radio's "operating system" is preserved, and all you have to worry about is your personal memory settings on a dead batt. It's a no-brainer but add 59 bux to the cost of the radio if you're in the used market and your target does not have this upgrade.
#4: (Is this a downside??) The US repeater band plan is not programmed in, so you have to tell it you are operating duplex. It defaults to standard 600, so it's not automatic but still pretty slick. You don't have to crawl thru fifty levels of menus (oh, did I forget to say, there *are* no menus! You got to love that) to tell the thing that you are using an oddball offset.

I wanted to clearly articulate the limitations of the radio, please do not take into account the absence of a list of "pros". They should be self-evident, if you read the user's manual and the glowing reviews on eham.net and elsewhere. You work around the problems and this radio still gets a solid 5/5 in my book. I am a total Icom convert. Thanks for reading!

Cheers, 73 DE K8TIY

KP4GE Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2010 06:33 Send this review to a friend
Great base station radio.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am the satisfied owner of a still great IC-275A. I don't think there's anything in the market that can replace this fantastic model that Icom put out nearly 20 years ago. The only thing mine is lacking is proper illumination of the front panel displays due to the fact that the lamps (except one) have failed. If anybody out there knows how to replace them please let me know.

W4KVW Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2009 14:42 Send this review to a friend
GREAT RADIO  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well I thought I had written a review before for this rig but if so it's no longer here.I had a 275H for several years & loved it.The 100 watts was VERY nice.It is ONE of the BEST 2 meter all modes I've EVER owned.I think the 25 watt Kenwood TR-751A(mobile)has slightly BETTER ears but lacks the output power.I have had TWO of the 751A's & loved them both.I currently am using an ICOM 271A & with the optional preamp has just a LITTLE less in the ears department than either the IC-275H or TR-751A but it's close.I sold the last TR-751A & made my entire shack "ALL" ICOM & am NOT sorry.If you buy a 275H you will love it since it is a GREAT rig for anything you'll ever need for the 2 meter band.ICOM would sell so MANY of these if they still made them & added an ICOM DSP unit it would be the "PERFECT" 2 meter rig! }:>)

Clayton
W4KVW
EM80

WI2Q Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2009 12:15 Send this review to a friend
14 years and still going  Time owned: more than 12 months
Best all mode 2 meter radio I've had. I've compared it to many others over the years and can't say it's been beat... especially if used with the mast mounted preamp. Fantastic FM radio and SSB radio... haven't used it much on CW lately but did well in a couple contests. If you can get you hands on one.. go for it. I have the 100 watt version and still love it.

G1LOE Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2007 12:48 Send this review to a friend
Great 2m multimode  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Well what can i add to the previous reviews? not a lot, got mine from a friend in exchange for some surplus equipment, it is most decidedly a keeper, the only thing to have failed on it are the four bulbs behind the display and s meter, but replaced with led's as cheaper, (Just a bit dimmer) so may cough up the extremely expensive for what they are bulbs and do it properly, audio is excellent, using the standard hand mic, i have the HM56A with the dtmf pad on the rear for eqso/Echolink .
best set i have had and will be holding on to unless someone offers me serious money.

VK5FX Rating: 5/5 May 29, 2006 02:14 Send this review to a friend
Great 2m All Mode Rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
G'day, initial RX problem on purchase (bought the IC-275H second hand, delivered via post). Probably something just came loose during transit. (Queried my Yahoo Group - Amateur-repairs). Did the well advised, open, dissect & clean. No problems now, thanks to the Yahoo Group... Thanks guys. Now time to sit back and enjoy a truly fantastic rig. If you get the chance, buy one and enjoy !!

IW0HOU Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2006 09:24 Send this review to a friend
Oldies goldies  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
One of the "Oldies but goldies" rigs from ICOM.
I had the H (high power, 100W) version: great RTX for VHF SSB contests with a superb receiver, the best I ever heard (TS711, FT897, TS2000) on 2 meters.
If you're seriously working on VHF, a 275H in good shape is probably the best you can have with an affordable price.

73, IW0HOU

W4KTX Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2005 17:13 Send this review to a friend
Great 2m rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a great rig. I managed to pick one up off of eBay for a good price from the daughter of a SK. These are really getting hard to find, but if you find one, buy it.

The first thing I noticed was the outstanding receive audio, and I get great transmit audio reports as well. I also like that fact that there are no menus. There is a button or a knob for everything. Very easy to program, and it is nice having 100 watts available for tranmit on all modes

This one is a keeper. I will not be selling this any time soon.

K1ECW Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2005 08:33 Send this review to a friend
Buy One Today  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am a definite 2 meter enthusiast and this is THE transceiver for 2 meters!!! I've had Yaesu, Kenwood, and ICOM multiband rigs and even tried the ICOM 910h; but, the 275H beats them all on the 2 meter band.

The receive is simply the when used WITHOUT the pre-amp. With the pre-amp it's pure heaven.

I use an electret SM-8 mic and get the best audio reports ever. With the optional filtered ICOM speaker, you don't want to eat, sleep, or go to work!

I just can't understand why ICOM quit building this one. It's got to be the world's best all mode 2 meter rig -- EVER.

If you can find one, but it today!