Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | ZeroFive 30 Foot 10 to 80 Meter Flagpole Vertical Help

Reviews Summary for ZeroFive 30 Foot 10 to 80 Meter Flagpole Vertical
ZeroFive 30 Foot 10 to 80 Meter Flagpole Vertical Reviews: 14 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $619
Description: FLAGPOLE 10 THROUGH 80 METER MULTIBAND COMMERCIAL DUTY VERTICAL ANTENNA 30 FEET TALL
More info: http://www.zerofive-antennas.com

You can write your own review of the ZeroFive 30 Foot 10 to 80 Meter Flagpole Vertical.

K9BPS Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2017 08:42 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased one so it would be more aesthetically pleasing to my wife than the Gap Titan DX that I had. The only drawback is having to use a tuner. I plan to eventually add a remote auto tuner. I can confirm that it will easily handle 950w. (I haven't tried higher since my amp maxes out at 950w). My MFJ tuner does not like the antenna on 80m, but the internal tuner on my Kenwood TS-690S has no problem with it. I don't feel that it's the antenna, just the Mississippi's Finest Junk (MFJ) tuner. I have worked all over the US and into Europe, Japan, Australia and have heard Saudi Arabia on SSB. I have seen China and Thailand on JT65 with this antenna. Would buy it again. Currently, it's set in a couple feet of concrete and guyed down. I plan this fall to have a helical pier placed and mount to that

K9YM Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2017 19:52 Send this review to a friend
Still a great antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just checking back. It's been 4 years since my last review. No problems, what so ever, with the flagpole vertical. I have now logged 227 countries using the antenna on 80-10. I love using the antenna in the winter, in the 80 meter DX window. I have worked many countries on 80 and get good reports, which I find amazing for a 30 foot antenna, on 80 meters.

Dave
K9YM
Rockton, Illinois

NM6E Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2016 17:36 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Stealth Antenna for HOA's  Time owned: more than 12 months
I did my homework BEFORE buying the new home from the builder and requesting a copy of the CC&R’s, Deeds/Restrictions, HOA Rules etc.

After all, anything new comes with strings attached and this one obviously was an HOA Zoned neighborhood,

I completely read through the many files and found that no where, did any of the documents, mention a “Flag Pole” restriction/limitation.

Knowing that, we made an offer and moved into the house/neighborhood and after a couple of months settled with the move, I ventured off into what can I put up that will give me multi-band operation in as much a Stealth Mode as possible.

Since we were putting in a pool in the back yard, there was not much space in the back so it would have to be the front.

I reviewed the Zero-Five options (as well as other vendors) and exchanged many emails with the previous reviewers on how they went about the HOA’s, installation and overall “tips” they gave me proved very beneficial.

I got my letter to the HOA Architectural committee ready and worded properly as to my intentions to put up a flag pole in the front yard. It took them almost 3 weeks to come back with a “Yes, go ahead” answer of which in my email I mentioned there were other flag poles in the neighborhood but off to the sides of the house and another being put up down a block.

Having procured the approval, I quickly called in my order to Zero-Five and chose the 30’ Flag Pole with the hinging base plate option. This makes it easy for one person to do the little/minimal maintenance of the antenna.. At least for me, i can do it all by myself.

Delivery was about 2 weeks from order date. For me, the hardest part of the installation was digging the hole here in the North Texas soil which isn’t much. At 3 feet, just like in the back yard when we broke ground on the pool a week earlier, I hit “shale” rock, horizontal layers of rock mixed in with general construction leftover rock that was smoothed out and top soil laid over to lay the sod.

I used a bar/pick I bought from Lowes (6 ft, weighs about 20-30lbs) and started going at breaking the rock and forming my hole. It was tiring and hot in the July heat of North Dallas. I pulled out my shop vac and sucked up the rocks and walked over to the empty lot next door and emptied it out. It took me almost 6 days of on-and-off hole digging and just managed to reach shy of 4 feet deep and a 12”diameter hole that gets wider at the base of the hole as I was digging out as much as I could, like 20-24".
Knowing the neighborhood was still being built out, I had plenty of resources around the neighborhood. I had the guys who were doing the rebar work for my pool , build me a Re-bar cage for a couple of beers and sandwiches that the wife made. I did buy a quickcrete 12”x48” Concrete Tube Mold cardboard circular tube and just cut about 8 inches off and had an 12” W x 8" L circle to have the top part “look” professional as it protruded out of the ground. My front lawn is sloped downward, away from the house so the “cement stump” was going to be obvious from the street and a problem the HOA would have me address.

With the rebar-cage made, the anchor bolts tied to the rebar cage etc and a mold to hold everything in place, everything went off without a problem. The “visible” circle came out perfect while using about 2 (80lbs) bags of Sakrete from Lowes.

Laying out the radials also took time in the weather (usually late afternoon/early evening) due to the heat. As for the coax, I was lucky in that the neighborhood was still being built out that I was able to have my Bury-Flex coax trenched in minutes from the front lawn to the entry point in my front bedroom/office with the help of the local CATV guys installing service at other houses. Another few beers and some cash and that task was done in 15 minutes by the guys.

Now, for lightning protection, another use of the available labor force was had by the house next door getting its permanent service run. More beers and some cash had me two 6 foot copper ground rods installed in minutes, one at the antenna and another at the entry point to the home office.

I added the lightening arrestors, connectors etc and the overall coax run is about 40 feet. I also had the “help” trench a 120vc heavy duty cord for the AC powered LED light (got it from Home Depot) along with an Auto Off/On Daylight sensor that powers the LED Spot light) that lights up the flag when we forget or the nights are calm that we leave the flags up non-stop all week.

The results with the Zero Five 30’ Flag Pole have been what I had expected for a compromised vertical that operates 6-80m with a wide range tuner. The more radials I added the better things got. The lengths are about 30’ in length with a few longer ones but I have had lots of contacts and it allows me to get on stateside contests with ease, being in the middle of the USA. I started with 40 and now am at about 50 radials overall.

I used an ELECRAFT KAT500 Auto-Tuner along with an ACOM1011 (600 watts) and a Kenwood 590 as the main station and all worked great with that setup and all worked well.

Overall, performance is good (for me) and having had an M2-KT36XA at 50’ and a Butternut Vertical HF-2V for 40/80/160 at my other places, I can’t complain knowing DX will be a challenge but I am realistic and this works for me. I’ve made thousands of contacts and worked 160 countries so far.

I really like the build quality of the Zero Five and the insulator is first rate quality. I’ve had to change the rope once and have gone through 5 USA flags and 3 Texas flags when the winds/storms whip up, it really tears them apart. That hinging base plate really pays for itself in the long run.

I’ve had winds in the 40-50 MPH (no flags, as I take them down or my kids do) when we know it’s going to be bad. We’ve had an EF-1 tornado touchdown about 5 miles away but nothing close by.

It does flex in the wind but is very Heavy Duty and sturdy. The best part is no one knows it’s an antenna. The base for the 4:1 UNUN is big, I did go ahead and remove the sticker off the UNUN box in case someone walks by and saw the word “antenna."

The HOA did complain that too much of the “top stump” of the cement was showing such that I initially piled on “mulch” to cover it up but the rains quickly made the lawn look like a wood pile..

I ended up “splurging” and had stonework with flower beds done as well as the tree’s encircled with bricks and stone and one tree near the antenna was also encircled in a peanut shape that the Flag pole and trees look very nice. The inside of the area did have dirt filled in but I am not much of a flower person that I filled it in with more mulch. It looks pretty good. This project of stonework was considerable but it put the HOA at ease and folks have actually complemented how nice the shiny pole is along wit the look of the Stars & Stripes and neighbors loved the appearance of the the facade with the stonework. I’ve had neighbors ask me if they could fly their flags on occasion during baseball season/football season.

We’ve had two different times when folks knocked on the door “thinking” it was the model home just because the “flag pole” was there.. Awkward….

I’ve upgraded the station and now I am using a Palstar HF-AUTO Tuner, along with an SPE EXPERT-2K-FA amp along with a Yaesu FTDX-5K. I did this knowing my antenna situation is not going to get any better so, I focused on the inside and improving my operating skills.

Overall, I extremely pleased with the results and would highly recommend the Zero-Five 30’ Flag Pole to anyone who’s trying to figure out how to get on the air from an HOA zoned area. The antenna is not cheap, but if you’ve seen other “vendors”, this antenna is first and foremost a Heavy Duty Flag Pole with the quality build you would expect. It serves my purpose and allows me to have fun on 6-80m and is a great looking flag pole…

Javier NM6E

K9FN Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2015 11:12 Send this review to a friend
Second A+ Review  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love this antenna so much I decided to share more of my experience with it. My HOA said NO when I asked for permission to put up a 43' vertical. But they acknowledged that they could not keep me from putting up a Flag Pole... and the president asked if I could make a Flag Pole work as my antenna. I said, "of course", and ordered the 30' Zero Five Flag Pole vertical as soon as I could. I got the tilt over base, hired a guy with an auger to dig the hole, and my youngest daughter trenched in conduit from the base to the house. I ran LMR400 to the antenna, and added 2000' of radials. Does it work as well as the antennas at my previous house, which were supported by a 100' free standing tower? NO. Am I happy? You bet I am. This antenna has been up for just under 4 years. In that time I have worked 273 countries, confirmed DXCC on 7 bands, and have worked 93 countries on 80. I have 1273 confirmed toward DXCC Challenge during that time and have been able to enjoy some very nice rag chews. I did get an amplifier about a year ago. I knew when I bought this house I could not put up a tower, but I can no longer climb, and this antenna has allowed me to enjoy our great hobby as much as I can imagine. If I move, I will either take this with me, or buy another.

W8DTH Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2015 11:14 Send this review to a friend
Still Impressed  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this 30-foot flagpole antenna for over three years now. I purchased it with the fold-over base and have it installed with (36) 30 foot radials using an iCom AH-4 remote autotuner at the base of the flagpole - all being driver by a barefoot iCom IC-7410 (100w max).

Thinking back on the installation, the most difficult part of which was digging the hole for the base, pouring concrete and watching it dry. The fold-over base is very heavy duty and sturdy enough to support the antenna (and flag) without any worries about damage from wind, snow/ice of my northern Michigan location. I purchased the fold-over option so I could lower it in the case of bad weather, but have only done so once (not because of wind/ice, but predictions of a major thunderstorm coming into my area). It does sway a bit during high winds, but not much (I have watched it in 70mph gusts with no worries).

It is well made with top-notch heavy-duty components. This is not just my observation, but also the comments I get from my ham buddies as well.

I wanted to use a DX Engineering Radial Plate for connecting ground radials, but it was too small to fit under the fold-over base, so my neighbor formed a circle of copper pipe that fit nicely around the base - to which I soldered one end of the (36) - 30 foot ground radials. I installed two ground rods - one at base of antenna and another where the coax comes into my QTH. After connecting everything and installing lightning protection it's time to get on the air.

Performance wise, I would like to tell you that this antenna performs as good as an array of mono band yagi's on a 100+ foot tower, but that is not true, but it does perform very well on 80 thru 10m bands. What is really slick is to change bands and press the "Tune" button on the 7410 - within a couple of seconds I am ready for the next QSO.

In the back yard I have 5 different wire antennas strung up through the trees from 25 to 50 feet in the air. Comparison A/B switching between the flagpole and wire antenna's, there are times that the straight dipole, inverted-V, or OCF (all thru a Plaster AT-2k tuner) performs better on a given day, frequency or destination, but there are also times that this flagpole is the better communicator. My Zero Five 30-foot flagpole antenna has become my standard by which other antennas are judged.

My neighbors love it. Flying old glory, it makes a great looking flagpole. A lot of interest was expressed by my neighbors when they saw me installing the ground radials, wondering what the heck I was doing. When I explain what is going on and that I am a ham they think it is very cool and have expressed interest in my radio hobby. Maybe now they just might accept a tri-bander on a 100 foot tower in the neighborhood, but I have accepted that I will never be the big gun DX station... I am a happy camper. That does not mean I am not gonna play with antenna's. Because I have been so happy with my Zero-Five flagpole, my next antenna is gonna be a Zero-Five 5/8 wave vertical. BTW- I am also thinking about extending the flagpole to get it up to 43 feet, adding a UNUN and a linear to the mix, but that will be another adventure.

In a hobby full of compromises, thank you Tom at Zero-Five for your committment to designing, building and supporting excellent antenna products without comprimising quality.

N0WRK Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2014 08:28 Send this review to a friend
Good looking stealth antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am also one of the many active Hams living in a neighborhood controlled by an HOA. I have tried a variety of stealth wire antennas on fences, attics, and rain gutters with mixed results. I have had an old battered standard flagpole up since 9/11. When it became time to upgrade that old flag pole I discovered the Zero-Five 30 foot vertical flagpole antenna on line.

I removed the "old" flagpole and put up the Zero-Five closer to my radio position to reduce cabling length. The area did not allow for uniform length of my radials but it did allow me to get many laid out and concealed although they varied in length.

While burying the radials I had the usual HOA inquiry about what I was doing. I replied I was just updating my flagpole and since it was a little higher I thought I needed lightening protection. I installed the antenna with a brick base covering the Unun and the night flag light. Neighbors now know it is an antenna but have no objections to it because it looks like a professional installed legal flagpole.

The antenna performs very well for me. My LDG AT-1000 Pro II tuner has no problem tuning all frequencies for SSB.

If I can hear the station I can usually work it (using an Amplifier) around the world. DX is no problem and I get good signal reports. The disadvantage is not being able to beam a direction. You do pick up more background chatter as a result but I have a variety of tuning abilities on my radio that helps to isolate that tough DX signal. Overall noise is not what I was expecting from a vertical of this size. Again radio filtering helps here.

This antenna works well for DX in my configuration. Contacting someone within several hundred miles of my QTH requires me to use one of my other wire stealth antennas. If you want to rag chew within that distance you won't like this antenna. But for reaching out to Europe, Asia, South America and most contesting it will do that.

Workmanship and materials are outstanding. It still shines like new after over 2+ years in the Colorado sun and winter weather. My fellow Ham club members still comment on how good it looks.

My only advice is you need to carefully plan your radials and don't scrimp there. It greatly helps. Call Tom if you have any questions about layout.

This antenna is a good investment for someone looking for a stealth antenna that enhances your property, it keeps the neighbors undisturbed, it gives you good performance and keeps the wife happy because it looks nice.

K8RBW Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2014 22:51 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding:Review Long Overdue  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been a ham since 1959 and have gone through a multitude of antennas. In recent years, however, I have encountered the increasing dilemma of addressing the problem of HOA covenants. Accordingly, I asked the the HOA in various developments if they would approve the installation of a flagpole, not telling them that it would also function as antenna. Once approved in the area where I wanted to purchase a home, I ordered the 30 foot flagpole from Zero Five. It has proved to be an excellent decision.

Like many aging hams, I have encountered numerous physical liabilities with advancing years, most notably several knee replacements and a shoulder replacement. The project was clearly beyond my ability. Bill, AE4IQ, a dear friend, generously offered to help install it. It took several weekends to establish a the foundation and put up the antenna, also necessitating a number of phone calls to Tom at Zero Five to seek his advice. Tom was unsparing of his time whenever I called seeking his advice on proper grounding, the installation of radials, etc. I have a small backyard and he recommended that I install 34 twenty foot radials. I religiously followed his advice and the result has been outstanding. It is essentially resonant on 30 meters, ideal for me because I only work CW. It also loads very efficiently on all other bands from 10 through 80. Indeed, I routinely work Europe on 80 meters running 5 to 10 watts, a great joy. It withstands extreme winds. To enhance its stealth, I removed the Zero Five label from the unun and replaced it with one that reads "Lightning Protection Mitigation Module". I strongly recommend it to anyone facing similar HOA covenants.

How does it look? Fine business! The best recommendation comes from the vice president of our HOA. He stopped me once when I was backing out of my driveway and said he wanted to discuss my flagpole. I figured the jig was up. Much to my surprise. however, he said the HOA had been discussing it and unanimously decided I had the best looking flag pole in that portion of the city. He wanted to know where I had purchased it so he could also install one. I mumbled something about having to leave town and that I would get back to him. I called Tom and we had a big laugh. He said he might be able to make something for him, but he was concerned that he would figure out it came from an antenna company. I have been told that others have developed an interest in it as well, something that makes me a bit uneasy.

A couple of recommendations to improve the antenna:
1) The flag shredded in strong winds after about three months. Spend about $25 and get one that is highly durable.
2) The rope also shredded because it was rubbing against one of the bolts during high winds. Spend about $70 and buy yourself some good yachting rope.

Vy 73 to all.
de Dick, K8RBW

WA4TE Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2013 19:28 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: more than 12 months
I initially was sorry I had only ordered a 24' flagpole antenna as I wanted 80 meter capability, needing a 30 footer. I was ready to try selling the 24' one and buy a new 30' one.

So, I called Tom at Zero Five and explained my problem. He immediately solved it much to my amazement. He suggested him making a new 6' extension that would exactly match the top of my existing antenna. I was worried this would have lacking capability because of the adaption. Tom said not to worry - it would be just as good.

The best part was the price, just a little over $100 with shipping. It arrived about a week later. It fit like a glove. And, it operates on everything from 6 to 80 meters.

Two days after erecting the flagpole commercial antenna, I got a letter from our HO Association because I had not obtained their permission. I responded with my letter quoting the "American Flag Law" George Bush signed into law about ten years ago. (Makes it unlawful for homeowners associations to keep me from flying the American flag). They immediately backed off.

I then had my electrician install a LED floodlight that automatically comes on at night. Then, I can legally proudly fly my American Flag day and night without taking it down.

After all, it is a flag pole; not an antenna, isn't it?

Who, but Zero-Five would have solved my stupidity problem without making me buy a whole new 30 footer?

And, it works perfectly with no exceptions. I would, nor could, not ask for anything better.

Tom. WA4TE. Amateur Extra

K5DBM Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2013 10:57 Send this review to a friend
Top Notch  Time owned: more than 12 months
Here is my take on the ZeroFive 30' Flagpole Antenna after 1 year + of ownership and use:
Top Notch materials
Top Notch workmanship
Top Notch Customer Service from Tom
As a flagpole - looks great and works perfectly. As an antenna - best looking antenna you will ever see when she's flying Old Glory!
If I can hear them, they can hear me and 90% of the time with just radio drive. No problems tuning with and external tuner. Living in the Deep South, the antenna gets put to the test and when it's all over, she's straight as an arrow again. Not a single problem during the first year + of use.
If you're in a neighborhood with restrictions - this is the answer.

WA8DBW Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2012 13:54 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
We sold the house and better than an acre of land for years ago. We moved into a condo and the HOA prohibits towers and outside antennas. Gone was the 90 foot free-standing tower, full size 160 meter antenna, tri-bander, Titan Gap vertical, etc.

I erected full size dipoles in the attic for 10 to 40 meters and an 85 foot long shortened dipole for 75. While they all worked great for transmit the noise on receive was horrendous on 75 and bad on 40. This was due to power line noise being picked up. Ohio and Federal Law permits one to fly the United States Flag from a free standing pole.

Long story short – I contacted Tom at Zero 5 and purchased the 30 foot Flag Pole and it came complete with US Flag, Balun, and all stainless hardware. Our nieces husband does concrete work so we had him dig the hole we placed a 4 foot form tube in with rebar and he filled it with concrete with the threaded rod that came with the flag pole. I placed the base on the four threaded rods while the concrete cured. He also poured a stamped concrete patio at the same time.

The flag pole is next to the patio and I placed radials before the patio was poured and I then placed additional radials in the yard. Since the condo association has a yard service for mowing and aerating of the yard, I buried the radials in the grass at a depth of 3 to 4 inches. I used my chainsaw with an old blade to dig the slits for each radial. I used number 14 insulated stranded wire connected to a ring of number 2 solid copper wire around the base of the flag pole.

The antenna works very well and I use a Nye Viking tuner in the shack. I can get a flat SWR on all the bands through 80 meters. I can even tune the flag pole on 160 but can only get a SWR of 1.5 to 1 at the high end of the band and it goes to just over 2 to 1 as I approach the low end of the band. Still quite good for only 30 feet high and 28 radials from 12 feet to 40 feet.

I have planned for the last three years to install more and longer radials but have yet to do so. I feed the antenna with about 150 feet of LMR 400. The shack is at the front of the condo and the flag pole is at the rear next to the patio.

If you are in a restricted location or just lacking the room to put up full size antennas, it would behoove you to look at Tom’s Zero 5 flag pole antenna.

73 Rich WA8DBW