Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | MFJ-1922b Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1922b
Reviews: 2 Average rating: 1.0/5 MSRP: $109.95

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1922b.

N6JSX Rating: 0/5 Nov 16, 2011 13:35 Send this review to a friend
Lives up to title - More -F'en-Junk  Time owned: more than 12 months
Used for 1.5yrs, suspect near lightening ESD or vehicle HOT temps damaged the PIC-CPU. Display will only show EEEEE when commanding up/down and fault within 1-2 seconds with or without motor connected.

Called MFJ to discover what "EEEEE" means - no help, the Design Engineer quite MFJ and they did not keep his info/data.

They promised to ship out a replacement PIC - that was 4 months ago, it never arrived. Now they will not respond to emails/calls. (I still have their email promise.)

This week I bought a moment-toggle switch and rewired to control the screwdriver. MFJ went in the trash - never again.

I now need R/R parts for Hygain & Cushcraft (that MFJ bought last year) - once again no support, no comms, no response and their web site lists no repair parts but to contact them for parts!@#$%^&*
N6JSX Rating: 2/5 Jul 16, 2010 10:02 Send this review to a friend
OK, buttt  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This controller is a stripped down version of the Ameritron SDC-103 (missing the Skip/Setup/Enter buttons). Per the 1922b manual it is to support "most screwdiver type antennas".

The big problem with 1922b is the total lack of needed technical information to install it with an OEM screwdriver. This one page manual should be an embarrassment to MFJ!

The only description of the counter signal (brown/white) wires is they must be >24AWG wire. Nothing about the circuit/signal specifics or how to make the counter work. No caution notes; the white counter signal wire has +5VDC, what IF a short, how long will U2-78M05 and R41-4.7K last? There is NO fusing within the 1922b.

There are NO ESD transorbs on any PIC-CPU or counter signal lines just a few .01 RFI by-pass capacitors. My last controller died due to a suspected near lightening ESD hit.

There is NO ability to adjust the motor current protection to insure adequate drive current and compensate for wire length drop. The protection value is factory set to 1.5A but the 1922b manual says to use an external 5-10Amp slow-blow fuse?!@#$%^&*

The 1922b comes with 6 colored 24" pigtail 16AWG wires (but per MFJ manual the brown/white counter wires only need to be 24AWG).

I called MFG tech support (per the manual) to get details on the counter sensor (brown/white) wire/circuit/how-to-use and was told I needed to contact Ameritron as MFG did not make the 1922b.

My Ameritron call confirmed most of my reverse ENG and helped me understand the product. From this call I found you NEED to get the SDC-103 manual to derive information about the 1922b.

I now discovered the 1922b is less capable than the SDC-103, but costs the same; I now wish I bought the SDC-103!!!

The 1922b may be a good (but a very limited controller). MFJ's documentation and customer support once again brings to mind HAMdom's derogatory name for MoreFJunk.