Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Heil Pro-Set Elite 6 Help

Reviews Summary for Heil Pro-Set Elite 6
Heil Pro-Set Elite 6 Reviews: 73 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $182-$193
Description: The Heil Pro Set Elite is the ultimate boomset designed for commercial sportscasters, podcasters and amateur radio operators. For nearly two years, Bob Heil and his design team have been working with broadcast engineers and serious amateur radio operators to bring the BEST headset containing the most amazing features. The Pro Set Elite oers dual side, full ear mu with high rejection of outside noise, speaker phase reversal, rugged attached microphone boom, exible to 6’ coil cable and washable ear pad covers.
More info: http://heilsound.com/amateur/products/prosetelite/

You can write your own review of the Heil Pro-Set Elite 6.

2E0WPZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2014 12:22 Send this review to a friend
The best headset I have owned  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was sad that my original headset didn`t work on my new Yaesu 5000mp but that was designed for Icom so no surprise really.
I decided after reading the good reviews on the Heil to go for it with the footswitch (whats the point of owning an expensive car and using cheap tyres) So, the headset arrived and was pleased with the first look quality. I made the adjustments to the headband to take the pressure off of my ears and it felt a lot more comfortable. I didn`t like the fact that I felt completely cut off from my surroundings so I removed the cloth covers and it then allowed more of my voice to be heard coming from my mouth rather than from inside my head (some people might be the opposite) I can feel the side pressure on the ears and they do get rather warm after a while so I have ordered a pair of the larger ears cups to give them more room to breath so to speak. If that doesn`t work completely then i will design and fit something my self to hold them away a touch.
These are all small points really because the sound quality and the audio reports received have been very good. Out of interest I reset my radio menus to the suggestions on the Heil web site and things are even better now.
They aint cheap for sure when you add the extras for foot/hand ptt plus the adapters but you tend to get what you pay for in this world. So far I`m happy.

KM4CQG Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2014 08:18 Send this review to a friend
Update  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bob Heil sent me an E mail about adjusting band tension obviously Bob reads eham and cares about his customers comments.

After a few emails we both concluded it was the length of my ear that was sitting outside the ear cup that was being pressured. Bob suggested trying a different ear cup that was just slightly larger in diameter. It has worked perfectly with no negative effects.

The Microphone has always received excellent audio reports since initial setup.

Ian

N2RR Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2014 14:03 Send this review to a friend
PROSET PLUS EARPADS FIX EVERYTHING!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using the Pro-Set Elite for several years now and like many other reviewers I loved the audio performance with my Icom transmitters, but my ears were getting killed.

Well that is all fixed. I recently bought the "around the ear pads" made for the Pro-Set Plus and no more ear pain. I do have a big head (so my hat size indicates) and when the headset first arrived I adjusted the tension band quite a bit, but the ear pain would start in after 30 minutes of use.

But there is no more pain with the new earpads. I also got rid of the cloth ear covers as suggested by other reviewers.

This headset is great!

K5NOK Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2014 13:42 Send this review to a friend
Great with slight changes!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I like this headset and with 2 easy changes it is a 5 on this review scale. First, I took the cloth ear pad covers carefully off the headset, folded them up and put them back in the box. Do not use them because they are hot and uncomfortable. Second, I made adjustments to my radio. I started with the settings for my radio from the manual and then did a Google search of the headset and my radio name for what other users have done. I used those as a starting point, then made my own changes during qso’s. One result is that I made my mic gain a lot hotter than I had thought was acceptable. This headset is heavy but gives excellent Heil Audio for transmit and receive and great noise cancelling. I have not found the weight a problem after using it all day. I have not yet adjusted the ear pressure but that is easy as well. I now get unsolicited “good audio” reports with an entry level radio while using this headset.

W0LD Rating: 4/5 Apr 7, 2014 03:40 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Audio-Uncomfortable over long operating periods  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bob Heil is an audio magician! The boom microphone is broadcast
quality! The headphones, however, over a long period of operating cause pain to my ears. After several hours of operation, I frankly had to take them off as my ears had lost any sense of feeling. They are a tight, heavy fit on the ear. For short periods of operation they are great. The previous PRO headsets are much more comfortable for the ears but not as full bodied audio on transmit.

W4JRQ Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2014 20:38 Send this review to a friend
Jam up mic  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This headset is very comfortable for hours on in of qsos. The noise canceling qualities are fantastic. The audio is wow! Well worth the money. Steel frame, high quality and durable. I could not ask for better. If anyone is looking for a mic and thinking about a heil mic, look up one of the presentations Bob Heil gives on microphones. You can find one online at tedrandall.com under podcasts.

KK4KBS Rating: 4/5 Apr 6, 2014 15:13 Send this review to a friend
Heavy, hot  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
They are heavy and hot on the ears after a while. I wish they were around the ears instead of over. Fidelity is excellent. On transmit, I get good audio reports and I like the fixed boom. It stays out of the way and adjusts easily. Expensive though. If they weren't so darn hot on my ears I would give them a 5.

VE9NC Rating: 2/5 Mar 16, 2014 16:42 Send this review to a friend
Maybe for some...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I tried to like them... I honestly tried. I simply can't wear the darn things for more than a few minutes at a time. I ordered some replacement parts for the old HC-10 (think that was what it was) and I have gone back to wearing those. The Pro-set Elite 6 feel like a vice on your head, despite the many many tries at fixing the issue like the directions say. My ears feel like they are being beaten. I don't know what ear pads I have but they look the same as the pictures of the replacements... so I am not going to waste the money. Sorry it's a nice concept, nice looking, great sounding, but honestly I can't wear them and I feel like I have thrown good money away.

W2PS Rating: 3/5 Jan 17, 2014 18:25 Send this review to a friend
A step down from the ProSet  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have been using Heil headsets for over 25 years and have found each new model to be a improvement over the last,,,,,,until now. The Elite is much too tight no matter how it is adjusted, it is too heavy, the fixed boom on the mic is always in the way. On the plus side, The audio is very good. the mic along with the DSP pass band adjustments allows you to adjust the audio too your liking. IT DOES NOT have the punch of the HC-4 I still keep my ProSet 4's around for DXing.....

VK3DGN Rating: 3/5 Dec 16, 2013 01:02 Send this review to a friend
Disappointed  Time owned: more than 12 months
Audio on transmit and receive good. Pressure on ears a bit much.
Owned for 13 months then right earphone became intermittent (12 month warranty on parts). Moving the cable entering left earphone caused rhs audio to come and go. Took apart but couldn't fix cable entry . Also found wire nipped between plastic cover and body but that was intact (just).
To open earphone - remove cotton cover, pull off ear pad (carefully) revealing three screw heads. Remove screws and pull cover off (carefully) - fine wires in there. Phase reversal appears to be implemented with a couple of diodes.