Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Heil Pro-Set Elite 6 Help

Reviews Summary for Heil Pro-Set Elite 6
Heil Pro-Set Elite 6 Reviews: 92 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $182-$193
Description: The Heil Pro Set Elite is the ultimate boomset designed for commercial sportscasters, podcasters and amateur radio operators. For nearly two years, Bob Heil and his design team have been working with broadcast engineers and serious amateur radio operators to bring the BEST headset containing the most amazing features. The Pro Set Elite oers dual side, full ear mu with high rejection of outside noise, speaker phase reversal, rugged attached microphone boom, exible to 6 coil cable and washable ear pad covers.
More info: http://heilsound.com/amateur/products/prosetelite/

You can write your own review of the Heil Pro-Set Elite 6.

N1WLD Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2016 11:25 Send this review to a friend
Will by another one!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought this set about 3 weeks ago.
Coupled them with my IC-746 and worked them for a couple of weekends.
First off, they are as comfortable as you are gonna get! As far as recieve audio quality, I compared them to 2 sets of headphones I have used for years. One is a set of Audio Technica, the other an ancient pair of NOVA (rad shak) that I will never get rid of 'cause they just sound that good. I would say the audio quality for music was acceptable, but when I compared all three on the Icom, the Heil's shined!! The frequency response was perfect for ssb and fm.
My version is the IC, which I understand uses the same element as the ICM mic. All audio reports were given as excellent, with the most interesting in a late night QSO with a station in Italy stating "it was the best audio he had heard all day"
I just purchased a new station that is not yet active. I will try the Pro set Elite on a new IC-718 and if the reports are as good as the one's I've received on the 746, I will purchase another set.
Another side benefit.....when the wife & mom-in-law are cackling behind you, it cuts down most of that audio by nature of the mics position. My Heil boom mounted mics always pick up that QRM-in-law. :-)

KD4YDD Rating: 3/5 Jun 30, 2016 16:29 Send this review to a friend
Broke in a year! =(  Time owned: more than 12 months
My first Pro-Set Elite broke within a year. =(

The little T-swivel is where it broke on the left side of the headset. I have ordered a whole new Pro-Set Elite 6 and hope the new one will be better.

I am interested to see the difference in the 6 versus the iC element. I have an IC-7700.

Always superb audio reports.

KB4MNG Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2016 08:35 Send this review to a friend
Awesome  Time owned: months
I've had my Heil Pro Set Elite 6 for about a month. It is an awesome boom set and I use it regularly in the shack.

I have several radios, Elecraft kx3, several Kenwood TS 520s and Ts 530. I need something that would readily interchange between the radios. This headsets works great with all my radios with great audio reports.

I have heard, " a $15 head set is just as good". I have one of those head sets and can say there is worlds of difference between the two. The quality of the heil is very good and wears comfortably. The $15 set feels very flimsy and uncomfortable plus it does not work with the older radios.....

KC8CB Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2016 15:03 Send this review to a friend
i love the headset  Time owned: more than 12 months
had this headset for abt 1 1/2 yrs now. i also have Yaesu hand mic, Kenwood MC-50 desk mic. they all gather dust now that i have the headset. Audio reports all always "excellent audio" on my Yaesu FTDX-1200 radio. i will not be using anything else. headset w/ foot switch works too well. if it isn't broke, don't fix it. i did buy the bigger ear cushions at Dayton for $11.00. made big difference in reducing ambient noise and comfort

W6BJB Rating: 4/5 Apr 14, 2016 11:30 Send this review to a friend
Good so far - note on AD-1YM  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my first headset for a ham radio, although I have extensive experience with headsets and helmets in aviation. I haven't worn this headset for more than about 20 minutes at a time, so I can't speak to the comfort of it. I have noticed that it can get a little warm with the ear cup socks on.

The main reason for this review is to comment on the AD-1YM adapter as I'm using it with my Yaesu FT-857D. When you insert that adapter, you'll notice that you can't slide the radio's faceplate back on. Just take a knife and some nail clippers and clip a few of the yellow strain relief ribs off and you should be good. I think I clipped 3 or 4 of them off before the faceplate would fit. Heil knows about this, and they provided the suggestion. Hope this helps!

W0LD Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2016 11:06 Send this review to a friend
Re-Review  Time owned: more than 12 months
I, too, am writing a re-review of the Pro-Set Elite 6 headset. After calling the Heil service department, they instructed me on how to adjust the tension of the headset. I now can wear the phones for hours with no problem or pain. Bob and Co. really do well with their service!

KT0DD Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2016 04:55 Send this review to a friend
Update...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm updating my review to a 5. Bob Heil read my review and emailed me stating there was a fix for the earpads and had me call his office. After speaking with someone there I ordered proset plus earpads. They slip right on. Bob's service is what raised my review. They're great. I will be buying more Heil gear. Thanks Bob.

My Previous review 4/5...

I like the HC-6 element as it drives the audio on my Kenwood TS-480HX very nicely. I just don't care for the round on the ear earphones. I much prefer the oval over the ear earphones like my old proset 5. It's nothing I can't live with though.

AC7AX Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2015 18:30 Send this review to a friend
All around good choice  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought this headset used with the dynamic element for use with an Icom 746PRO. It had the original ear cushions and like many others it hurt my ears after a while. I called Heil and the kind lady in customer service said replace the cushions with ones for the Proset Plus. I did just that for about $9.00. Wow, what a difference. The cushions now enclose my ears rather than pressing on them. No pain and I can wear the headset for hours.

The dynamic element has plenty of drive for my 746PRO. And the phase shift switch is great for weak signals.

WB2KSP Rating: 4/5 Dec 7, 2015 09:38 Send this review to a friend
I prefer the Pro-Set  Time owned: more than 12 months
As was written elsewhere, wearing the Elite without earpad replacement becomes a painful experience fairly quickly. I have both the Pro Set and the Elite. Both have the same mic element (HC-6) and the phase reversal switch on one side of the earphones. Even with the Pro Set over the ear, ear pieces the elite is heavy and the mic boom doesn't flip out of the way like the Pro-Set does. The mic is on a flexible goose-neck on the pro set as opposed to the rigid mic boom on the elite. Audio quality in both is about equal. When it comes to communications audio with a 3 KHZ outer bandwidth the differences in headphones of the same bran should be fairly subtle and if you prefer a different sound in your audio, most new radios have both transmit and receive equalizers. I started with Heil's recommended settings for use on my TS-590 but have created my own equalized transmit setting to get the best match for my voice and what I am trying to accomplish. Setting compression in's and outs to get just the right amount of punch took awhile. You can't really set up any microphone correctly by just listening on your radios output monitor. Of course that audio is effected by the receive EQ settings as well. I've had stations record my audio and e-mail MP3's to me so that I have a better idea of what my transmit audio actually sounds like. The Heil HC6 gets outstanding audio reports when set up properly. While I have a foot switch in line I've never used it. My vox only trips when I want it to and you get used to operating without having to use a xmt/rcv switch. I have had to send my Elite back for service and the people at Heil service were fast courteous and the repair was fairly priced.

KB1NO Rating: 4/5 Aug 18, 2015 19:15 Send this review to a friend
Nice Sound  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased this for use with my TS-590S.
With Heil's suggested equalization settings the transmit audio sounds quite good with the HC-6.

I see some complaining of discomfort with these. For me, they are comfortable with the cloth covers removed from the headphones.

I compared the headphone sound of the Proset Elite 6 (PSE-6) with the regular Proset (PS-6.)
I personally find the PSE-6 to have more mellow sound vs the harsher sounding PS-6. (Using the TS-590S)
Your preference may be different, of course.

The PSE-6 weighs 14.4 oz. with cable, vs 10.8 oz for PS-6. So only 3.6 oz difference.
Other advantage, the PSE-6 folds up conveniently and has a coil cord.

I do find the PSE-6 a little on the large side, but to me the improved headphone sound is worth the extra few ounces.