Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Heil Pro-Set Elite 6 Help

Reviews Summary for Heil Pro-Set Elite 6
Heil Pro-Set Elite 6 Reviews: 83 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $182-$193
Description: The Heil Pro Set Elite is the ultimate boomset designed for commercial sportscasters, podcasters and amateur radio operators. For nearly two years, Bob Heil and his design team have been working with broadcast engineers and serious amateur radio operators to bring the BEST headset containing the most amazing features. The Pro Set Elite oers dual side, full ear mu with high rejection of outside noise, speaker phase reversal, rugged attached microphone boom, exible to 6 coil cable and washable ear pad covers.
More info: http://heilsound.com/amateur/products/prosetelite/

You can write your own review of the Heil Pro-Set Elite 6.

KB1NO Rating: 4/5 Aug 18, 2015 19:15 Send this review to a friend
Nice Sound  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased this for use with my TS-590S.
With Heil's suggested equalization settings the transmit audio sounds quite good with the HC-6.

I see some complaining of discomfort with these. For me, they are comfortable with the cloth covers removed from the headphones.

I compared the headphone sound of the Proset Elite 6 (PSE-6) with the regular Proset (PS-6.)
I personally find the PSE-6 to have more mellow sound vs the harsher sounding PS-6. (Using the TS-590S)
Your preference may be different, of course.

The PSE-6 weighs 14.4 oz. with cable, vs 10.8 oz for PS-6. So only 3.6 oz difference.
Other advantage, the PSE-6 folds up conveniently and has a coil cord.

I do find the PSE-6 a little on the large side, but to me the improved headphone sound is worth the extra few ounces.

W8WDS Rating: 5/5 Jul 7, 2015 19:54 Send this review to a friend
Great Service and Support  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Pick this headset up for first month I was in heaven with the receive audio and the phase reversal makes weak signals easier to make out with high noise levels. I only operated about a hour at a time. Then came field Day and after 3 hours the headset was trying to kill me. Called Heil they had updated the ear muffs and I must have got a old one they shipped me a new set at no charge. Now I can wear this head set for long periods of time with no problem. And get great Signal reports on my audio compared to my old MFJ headset.

Great Headset and Customer Service was excellent.

Would not hesitate to purchase a Heil product in the future.

N0TW Rating: 0/5 Jul 6, 2015 05:50 Send this review to a friend
Bad Mic Audio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Tried two different Pro-Set 6 models and both had terible transmit audio. Bob Heil said I needed to make adjustments to the transmit audio within my radio. Why? I had great previous experience with the HC-5 element. All kinds of excuses from Heil on why the HC-5 element could no longer be made. HC-5 produced much clearer and stronger audio. Switched back to the HC-5.

VE3TMT Rating: 0/5 Jul 5, 2015 19:59 Send this review to a friend
My $16 headset is better made.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First off, I bought the headset used. It was advertised as in "like new" condition, so I took a chance. The headset arrived, the black plastic was covered in some tar like substance and the cord had a cut across it. It was definitely not in "like new" condition.

When I went about ordering a replacement cord, I was told by the online tech rep at DX Engineering that the PS-CORD would work, so I ordered one. It wasn't the right cord. The Elite cord is a curled cord, and I was sent a straight cord. The pictures on DX Engineering website are useless, as every cord shows the same picture. Heil also confirmed the cord they sent was the wrong one. In all fairness, they said they would send the correct cord at no charge but it would take ten days. I didn't understand this as Heil confirmed they had them in stock. Illinois to Ohio is only two days by courier at worst, and another 3 days to me. Not wanting to wait that long, I cancelled the order, and received a full refund.

Tonight I came home from a four day vacation and started on the 13 Colonies Special event. I put the headset on and felt the left side of the headset hanging lower. I took it off and inspected it and found part of the plastic housing that holds the left speaker had split in two.

I was so fed up with the piece of crap I honestly threw the whole thing in the garbage. I am done with it. The Genius HS-04, that I paid $16.99 for years ago is still working and in like new condition. Pay ten times the price for a piece of crap that won't stand up to the same use.

TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE HEIL.

NG0Z Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2015 16:49 Send this review to a friend
Great Audio, Not Cheap but Well Made  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the Heil Audio Pro-Set Elite 6 based on a recommendation from W0DIK at Radio City in Minneapolis as he uses them with his Icom 7600, which I also bought on his recommendation.

I paid about $180 for the boomset and picked up the hand switch as well as the Icom adapter for all of the above.

As such, these are not cheap but every aspect of the design and materials appears to be well-made and rugged.

After some tweaks to the transmit audio settings on my IC-7600 the audio reports have been excellent.

The phase reversal feature is no gimmick - it tailors the sound to your taste and in my case, I also switch it back and forth periodically to reduce fatigue - not sure if that is the purpose but it works for me.

I also have a $300 Icom SM-50 desktop microphone so I thought I would only use the Elite 6 Boomset for weak-signal or late-night operation but I find myself wanting to use them all the time because they are so comfortable and easier on the ears for all listening.

It's nice for a change to see an American made amateur radio product of high quality (Yes, I'm looking at you Ameritron/MFJ).

WD8KND Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2015 18:01 Send this review to a friend
I think they're great.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got my new headset today and at a nice discounted price. I put them on and noticed right away that they seemed tight. I took them off and bent the headband near the ear piece and all is good. I later read in the instructions that this is what you are supposed to do. They seem to be very rugged and well constructed, using quality materials. They don't look cheap at all. I've had them on for hours at a time with out any discomfort. I even had my reading glasses on and that didn't cause a problem around my ears. The switch on the side gives a stereo or expanded sound. All in all I am very pleased. Would suggest them to anyone.

N3UPM Rating: 2/5 Dec 29, 2014 08:23 Send this review to a friend
Very poor design  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the Proset Elite since the older headsets (which I loved) were no longer available. I tried it on for a while before purchase, and thought they would be great. Short version, I can only wear this headset for about 30 minutes before the pain in my ears becomes a distraction. After 1 hour, my ears will continue to hurt for several hours after taking it off. I wear headsets at work, 8-12 hours per shift, and have never worn a less comfortable headset. Who decided that the earpieces should be 1) Round; and 2) Padded with concrete? I read on here about ordering the oval pads, but after talking to Heil on the phone, and some measurement, the oval pads would be stretched back to round and not large enough for my admittedly big ears.

The components themselves are fine. Mic works well, headphone audio is adequate. Just a horrible design intended to fit the "median" ear size. I will end up making my own earpads from scratch, which is something I don't think I should have to do for the price of this set. Only good thing I noticed is that the adapter is useful for almost any PC-style headset.

Also, there is absolutely no real reason why this set has to be so physically large. It almost doubles the size of your head! Something better designed, with a lower profile, and I might consider Heil again.

N0AH Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2014 23:57 Send this review to a friend
FB!   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Works as expected, 120% excellent- Wore them during ARRL 10M this year and will keep them as our main headset for the shack-

W1OBJ Rating: 3/5 Dec 12, 2014 16:42 Send this review to a friend
Switch  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got them and it makes for easy SSB with the boom mic....a little uncomfortable after a few minutes.....and lastly....that gimmick switch on the head phones.....is it a joke?

N4GKS Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2014 13:36 Send this review to a friend
Good sound  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After reading some of the reviews here, I was hesitant to make a purchase of these. However, as usual, reviews are opinions and I wanted to make up my own mind. From the reports I'm getting, the audio is great. The receive audio from the headset is nice. The people who complain about the fit and comfort apparently do not know how to adjust the headphones. You can bend the brace and make them as lose as you need them. The mic is where it needs to be and doesn't have to be moved much, if at all. I am beginning to believe some reviewers bash a product because they don't know how to use it.