Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Heil Pro-Set Elite 6 Help

Reviews Summary for Heil Pro-Set Elite 6
Heil Pro-Set Elite 6 Reviews: 78 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $182-$193
Description: The Heil Pro Set Elite is the ultimate boomset designed for commercial sportscasters, podcasters and amateur radio operators. For nearly two years, Bob Heil and his design team have been working with broadcast engineers and serious amateur radio operators to bring the BEST headset containing the most amazing features. The Pro Set Elite oers dual side, full ear mu with high rejection of outside noise, speaker phase reversal, rugged attached microphone boom, exible to 6’ coil cable and washable ear pad covers.
More info: http://heilsound.com/amateur/products/prosetelite/

You can write your own review of the Heil Pro-Set Elite 6.

W4JRQ Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2014 20:38 Send this review to a friend
Jam up mic  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This headset is very comfortable for hours on in of qsos. The noise canceling qualities are fantastic. The audio is wow! Well worth the money. Steel frame, high quality and durable. I could not ask for better. If anyone is looking for a mic and thinking about a heil mic, look up one of the presentations Bob Heil gives on microphones. You can find one online at tedrandall.com under podcasts.

KK4KBS Rating: 4/5 Apr 6, 2014 15:13 Send this review to a friend
Heavy, hot  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
They are heavy and hot on the ears after a while. I wish they were around the ears instead of over. Fidelity is excellent. On transmit, I get good audio reports and I like the fixed boom. It stays out of the way and adjusts easily. Expensive though. If they weren't so darn hot on my ears I would give them a 5.

VE9NC Rating: 2/5 Mar 16, 2014 16:42 Send this review to a friend
Maybe for some...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I tried to like them... I honestly tried. I simply can't wear the darn things for more than a few minutes at a time. I ordered some replacement parts for the old HC-10 (think that was what it was) and I have gone back to wearing those. The Pro-set Elite 6 feel like a vice on your head, despite the many many tries at fixing the issue like the directions say. My ears feel like they are being beaten. I don't know what ear pads I have but they look the same as the pictures of the replacements... so I am not going to waste the money. Sorry it's a nice concept, nice looking, great sounding, but honestly I can't wear them and I feel like I have thrown good money away.

W2PS Rating: 3/5 Jan 17, 2014 18:25 Send this review to a friend
A step down from the ProSet  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have been using Heil headsets for over 25 years and have found each new model to be a improvement over the last,,,,,,until now. The Elite is much too tight no matter how it is adjusted, it is too heavy, the fixed boom on the mic is always in the way. On the plus side, The audio is very good. the mic along with the DSP pass band adjustments allows you to adjust the audio too your liking. IT DOES NOT have the punch of the HC-4 I still keep my ProSet 4's around for DXing.....

VK3DGN Rating: 3/5 Dec 16, 2013 01:02 Send this review to a friend
Disappointed  Time owned: more than 12 months
Audio on transmit and receive good. Pressure on ears a bit much.
Owned for 13 months then right earphone became intermittent (12 month warranty on parts). Moving the cable entering left earphone caused rhs audio to come and go. Took apart but couldn't fix cable entry . Also found wire nipped between plastic cover and body but that was intact (just).
To open earphone - remove cotton cover, pull off ear pad (carefully) revealing three screw heads. Remove screws and pull cover off (carefully) - fine wires in there. Phase reversal appears to be implemented with a couple of diodes.

K0LEJ Rating: 2/5 Nov 18, 2013 13:31 Send this review to a friend
Needs Work  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just finished my first contest using the ProSet Elite and these need some work! No matter how much I tried to adjust the headset (yes, I read the instructions), I couldn’t find a comfortable long term fit. The problem is that the headphone sits on the ear and not over the ear, so you have a constant pressure against your ears. After a few hours the pain got so bad that I went back to my Bose Quiet Comfort 15 (over the ear) headphones and a microphone. I tried adjusting the width of the of the PSE to loosen the pressure, but then they would slip/flop all over the place.

I called Heil, and the person I talked with mentioned that they have had enough feedback/complaints about the on-ear design that they are changing the design in a future production run to use over-ear pads. The problem is that the current batch still has the on-ear pads and the only “relief” (pun intended) is to purchase a set of ProSet Plus over the ear pads and install them. The cost of the ProSet Plus pads is $9 plus shipping, so it’s a fairly cheap; however, one should not expect to spend more money to retro-fit the top of the line headset to fix a design deficiency. So much for customer service, especially considering the oem cost for the proper ear pads is likely less than $2…..

Pain aside, how did they perform? I set my radio up as Heil suggested, and received excellent audio reports. The receive audio was also very good, and the ear pads did isolate some outside sound. The ProSet Elite has a phase reversal switch that Heil claims adds “spatial widening” to the sound. I really liked that feature as it helped break up the sound a bit. The build quality seems good, but the weight is a bit much at 12 Oz. There are several areas where weight could be removed if the design was changed slightly, and reduced weight would go a long way in improving comfort. I would also like to see a bit more padding, or a different type of pad, for the top band.

Would I recommend them? I would not recommend them in their current on-ear configuration. I’m hoping that the over the ear modification makes them comfortable enough to use for extended periods as the sound is pretty amazing.

K0LEJ

KA7SUM Rating: 2/5 Nov 1, 2013 06:31 Send this review to a friend
bad connections  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
audio quality is fantastic, very comfortable to wear,However, the soldering on connections in adapters and hand switch are at best poor,started having problems after a couple of months,i started re-doing connections.very unhappy with this ,after paying the (for me ) high price, I wish I would have saved my money

NH6RF Rating: 5/5 Sep 14, 2013 15:40 Send this review to a friend
Great station improvement  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Having to compete with outside noise at my location I opted for a headset that was reasonably priced and good quality. I found both in the Heil PS-6. I use it with both an ICOM IC-735 and a Yaesu FT-840. Although the headphones are not "noise cancelling", they do remove the majority of the external noise. Additionally, the audio reports I've been receiving are nothing short of great. The boom mic easily swivels out of the way and the headphones are fully adjustable for comfort. The optional foot switch took some getting used too but I got comfortable with it in a very short time. Having spent 24 years in the Navy as a Radioman, I've used my share of headsets. The PS-6 is by far the best I've ever used. If you want to save a few bucks, don't order directly from Heil.

M0JFK Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2013 02:50 Send this review to a friend
Heil PSE6  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Perfect bit of kit, great sound and comfort. I have read other reviews on here and I think at times some people complain just for the heil/hell of it.

KA7SUM Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2013 13:48 Send this review to a friend
Great Headset,very comfortable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This seems to be a fantastic headset,right out of the box,got the headset, the hs-2 PTT switch,and the kenwood adapter. very easy to use plugged it in and had to make no adjustments what so every on the headset,or radio. I am using it on a kenwood ts 440-S and a kenwood ts 820-S. It is amazing how much clearer I am hearing the other stations,I recommend this headset to anyone who may be alittle hard of hearing..