Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Heil Pro-Set Elite 6 Help

Reviews Summary for Heil Pro-Set Elite 6
Heil Pro-Set Elite 6 Reviews: 73 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $182-$193
Description: The Heil Pro Set Elite is the ultimate boomset designed for commercial sportscasters, podcasters and amateur radio operators. For nearly two years, Bob Heil and his design team have been working with broadcast engineers and serious amateur radio operators to bring the BEST headset containing the most amazing features. The Pro Set Elite oers dual side, full ear mu with high rejection of outside noise, speaker phase reversal, rugged attached microphone boom, exible to 6’ coil cable and washable ear pad covers.
More info: http://heilsound.com/amateur/products/prosetelite/

You can write your own review of the Heil Pro-Set Elite 6.

K0LEJ Rating: 2/5 Nov 18, 2013 13:31 Send this review to a friend
Needs Work  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just finished my first contest using the ProSet Elite and these need some work! No matter how much I tried to adjust the headset (yes, I read the instructions), I couldn’t find a comfortable long term fit. The problem is that the headphone sits on the ear and not over the ear, so you have a constant pressure against your ears. After a few hours the pain got so bad that I went back to my Bose Quiet Comfort 15 (over the ear) headphones and a microphone. I tried adjusting the width of the of the PSE to loosen the pressure, but then they would slip/flop all over the place.

I called Heil, and the person I talked with mentioned that they have had enough feedback/complaints about the on-ear design that they are changing the design in a future production run to use over-ear pads. The problem is that the current batch still has the on-ear pads and the only “relief” (pun intended) is to purchase a set of ProSet Plus over the ear pads and install them. The cost of the ProSet Plus pads is $9 plus shipping, so it’s a fairly cheap; however, one should not expect to spend more money to retro-fit the top of the line headset to fix a design deficiency. So much for customer service, especially considering the oem cost for the proper ear pads is likely less than $2…..

Pain aside, how did they perform? I set my radio up as Heil suggested, and received excellent audio reports. The receive audio was also very good, and the ear pads did isolate some outside sound. The ProSet Elite has a phase reversal switch that Heil claims adds “spatial widening” to the sound. I really liked that feature as it helped break up the sound a bit. The build quality seems good, but the weight is a bit much at 12 Oz. There are several areas where weight could be removed if the design was changed slightly, and reduced weight would go a long way in improving comfort. I would also like to see a bit more padding, or a different type of pad, for the top band.

Would I recommend them? I would not recommend them in their current on-ear configuration. I’m hoping that the over the ear modification makes them comfortable enough to use for extended periods as the sound is pretty amazing.

K0LEJ

KA7SUM Rating: 2/5 Nov 1, 2013 06:31 Send this review to a friend
bad connections  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
audio quality is fantastic, very comfortable to wear,However, the soldering on connections in adapters and hand switch are at best poor,started having problems after a couple of months,i started re-doing connections.very unhappy with this ,after paying the (for me ) high price, I wish I would have saved my money

NH6RF Rating: 5/5 Sep 14, 2013 15:40 Send this review to a friend
Great station improvement  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Having to compete with outside noise at my location I opted for a headset that was reasonably priced and good quality. I found both in the Heil PS-6. I use it with both an ICOM IC-735 and a Yaesu FT-840. Although the headphones are not "noise cancelling", they do remove the majority of the external noise. Additionally, the audio reports I've been receiving are nothing short of great. The boom mic easily swivels out of the way and the headphones are fully adjustable for comfort. The optional foot switch took some getting used too but I got comfortable with it in a very short time. Having spent 24 years in the Navy as a Radioman, I've used my share of headsets. The PS-6 is by far the best I've ever used. If you want to save a few bucks, don't order directly from Heil.

M0JFK Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2013 02:50 Send this review to a friend
Heil PSE6  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Perfect bit of kit, great sound and comfort. I have read other reviews on here and I think at times some people complain just for the heil/hell of it.

KA7SUM Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2013 13:48 Send this review to a friend
Great Headset,very comfortable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This seems to be a fantastic headset,right out of the box,got the headset, the hs-2 PTT switch,and the kenwood adapter. very easy to use plugged it in and had to make no adjustments what so every on the headset,or radio. I am using it on a kenwood ts 440-S and a kenwood ts 820-S. It is amazing how much clearer I am hearing the other stations,I recommend this headset to anyone who may be alittle hard of hearing..

W9MIC Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2013 11:39 Send this review to a friend
Adjustable Comfort  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After reading the rave reviews here on eham, I decided to purchase the Heil PSE 6 when I purchased my TS-590 a couple of weeks ago. At first I was concerned about the tight fit that these headsets put on the side of my head, but then I read the instructions! According to the included instructions, the headband tension can be adjusted so that the side-of-the-head pressure is to your liking. I've read several reviews here that complained of the same issue -- my advice is to look at the instruction page that came in the box. They even have a picture of how to perform the adjustment to the headband tension. After a few adjustments to the tension, the earphones are very comfortable to wear for hours and hours.

Another adjustment I made is to change out the ON-the-ear earpads that come with the headphone with the Pro-Set Pro "Plus" ear pads (various Ham vendors offer them for under ten bucks). The Pro-Set Pro "Plus" ear pads will convert this headset into an OVER-the-ear set of headphones, which is more comfortable and isolates my signal listening from much of the background noise going on around the house. If you wear glasses, like me, the OVER-the-ear earpads are the way to go. The original ON-the-ear earpads press your ears against your head and pinch your ears against the bow of your glasses and your head -- ouch! Using the OVER-the-ear earpads does not press your ears agains your head. The entire earpad rest on your head without touching your hears. Thank you 9A6KTB for mentioning this solutions on eham and posting a link to pictures of the replacement earpads.

The original earpads came with a set of clothe covers that washable and might be more comfortable in hot humid conditions. These clothe covers won't work if you use the Pro-Set Pro "Plus" pads in an OVER-the-ear configuration. No big deal for me in the north, but it might be a consideration for other operators in warmer climates.

Unlike other reviewers, I don't mind the fixed position of the mic boom. I've had many other radio and PC headsets over the last 20 years. Many of them swivel out of they way for a sip of coffee or the occasional snack, but the swivel boom connection has always been the eventual point of failure. I appreciate the build qualify of these headsets. I expect them to last many many years of daily use. I really like the ample length of self coiling cord. It keeps my station tidy, safe and efficient without being too stiff that it restricts my movement from one end of the desk to the other in my rolling-swivel chair or to stand up for a book from the overhead shelf.

Signal reports are very good. I spent a bit of time with the compression, and equalizer setting of my TS-590. My voice sounds very natural coming out of my rig according to people who know my voice and who helped me with the settings.

In conclusion, I highly recommend this headset. Like others, I do wish Heil would include these over-the-ear earpads in the original box with instructions of how to change out the on-the-ear earpads with the OVER-the-ear earpads. For the price of this headset, I think it's a fair request. 73

NJ6K Rating: 2/5 Feb 7, 2013 05:33 Send this review to a friend
keep your Pro Set Plus  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
boom mikes too damn short wont swivel , the ear phones sqwish your head you canot wear these for hours like you could the por set + ... the Pro set plus is far more comfortable, why fix something if it isnt broken Mr Heil?

SY1AKE Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2013 13:42 Send this review to a friend
change my rig sound   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the IC version of the Elite and is outstanding, perfect...they change my rig sound !! they stand in my head and ears without any problem. I love this headset worth every euro !! that I have spend

W6GX Rating: 2/5 Dec 1, 2012 10:32 Send this review to a friend
It needs the pad mod.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I just received my 'upgrade' ear pads from R&L Electronics. The material is much softer than the stock pads. The opening is also significantly larger than the stock pads. That's a good sign. It took about three minutes to swap the pads. Now the headset is close to perfection. The difference in comfort and noise isolation is amazing. I regret not having done this earlier. I gave it a 2 rating since we as the consumer shouldn't have to do this. Despite all the negative reviews why Heil hasn't made the ear pad change in the current production run is a mystery.

Jonathan W6GX

N4EEB Rating: 2/5 Nov 22, 2012 12:14 Send this review to a friend
A Step Back  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have been using Heil headsets for at least twenty years. You’d think that after all that time, they would have figured it all out. Not so. Heil never manages to get a headset 100% right. The Pro Set Elite is no exception, and it leaves me scratching my head (literally and figuratively).
My review is based on what I actually bought from the store, not after modifications were purchased and installed. This headset is not cheap. One should expect to receive a quality product out of the box without having to purchase additional things to make its use bearable.
The Good:
As usual, the microphone element is very good. Heil always gets this right. Their HC4 and HC5 elements have a very good reputation and sound great on the air. The HC6 is no exception. The HC6 is, however, not a significant upgrade or breakthrough in sound. I believe it’s more a matter of the die and equipment for the earlier elements wearing out necessitating the need for a newer element design.
The cord is finally long enough (compared to the hot mess they marketed as the Pro Set Quiet (RF Detector). A detachable cord with a straight cord option would have been nice, but no points off for that.
The build of the headset feels higher quality than I’ve grown to expect from Heil. The plastic parts look and feel more heavy duty, and the headset has a nice professional feel to it. Overall, it’s a nice looking headset.
The audio receive audio quality is good. Not as good a studio Shure or Sony, but certainly adequate for all amateur applications.
The Phase Reverse Circuit does what it claims, but I have never been able to determine for myself whether this actually has on-the-air practical applications or if it is just a gimmick.
The Bad:
A major step back for the Elite is the decision not to allow the microphone boom to move up and down on a swivel. ( Like their previous models.) The boom is stuck in one position, and the only movement possible is by the very limited flex from the material used in the boom itself. The reason this is a big deal for me is because if I want to use the Elite just as headphones (for CW perhaps), I cannot lift the microphone up and out of the way. Also, when contesting, you can’t flip up the mic long enough to put a few bites of food in your mouth and then flip it back down
The microphone boom is too short. The flexible cable is only about 3.25” long. For my freakishly large head, this doesn’t cut it. Again, an example of a step backwards as their previous models always had adjustable booms of sufficient length.

The Ugly:
Ok, this is a “HEADSET” – meaning that its primary use and draw is that it is worn on one’s head. This is the most skull crushing, mind numbing, uncomfortable head-vice I have ever used. This one defect alone makes this product an EPIC FAIL. I think I am being generous in my rating.
I understand that one can PURCHASE a different set of earpads to allow the headset to be worn without causing brain damage. I haven’t decided whether I’m going to buy them or just sell the headset to a medical lab somewhere where intense side-to-side pressure on the head is a requirement for their research.
In conclusion:
I could not recommend the Pro Set Elite to a friend unless they at least fix the comfort problem. Heil has never been known for taking constructive criticism very well (anyone remember the early 1990 headset impedance problems that they deny to this day!) My advice would be to get their new products into the hands of some real operators and let them provide some basic feedback before they go to market. The result just may be a headset that is 100% right, which I will be looking forward to.
I am appreciative that this company, with impressive roots in professional audio/recording, is doing its best to provide quality products to the ham community at a fair price.