Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Heil Pro-Set Elite 6 Help

Reviews Summary for Heil Pro-Set Elite 6
Heil Pro-Set Elite 6 Reviews: 76 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $182-$193
Description: The Heil Pro Set Elite is the ultimate boomset designed for commercial sportscasters, podcasters and amateur radio operators. For nearly two years, Bob Heil and his design team have been working with broadcast engineers and serious amateur radio operators to bring the BEST headset containing the most amazing features. The Pro Set Elite oers dual side, full ear mu with high rejection of outside noise, speaker phase reversal, rugged attached microphone boom, exible to 6’ coil cable and washable ear pad covers.
More info: http://heilsound.com/amateur/products/prosetelite/

You can write your own review of the Heil Pro-Set Elite 6.

VE9NC Rating: 2/5 Mar 16, 2014 16:42 Send this review to a friend
Maybe for some...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I tried to like them... I honestly tried. I simply can't wear the darn things for more than a few minutes at a time. I ordered some replacement parts for the old HC-10 (think that was what it was) and I have gone back to wearing those. The Pro-set Elite 6 feel like a vice on your head, despite the many many tries at fixing the issue like the directions say. My ears feel like they are being beaten. I don't know what ear pads I have but they look the same as the pictures of the replacements... so I am not going to waste the money. Sorry it's a nice concept, nice looking, great sounding, but honestly I can't wear them and I feel like I have thrown good money away.

W2PS Rating: 3/5 Jan 17, 2014 18:25 Send this review to a friend
A step down from the ProSet  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have been using Heil headsets for over 25 years and have found each new model to be a improvement over the last,,,,,,until now. The Elite is much too tight no matter how it is adjusted, it is too heavy, the fixed boom on the mic is always in the way. On the plus side, The audio is very good. the mic along with the DSP pass band adjustments allows you to adjust the audio too your liking. IT DOES NOT have the punch of the HC-4 I still keep my ProSet 4's around for DXing.....

VK3DGN Rating: 3/5 Dec 16, 2013 01:02 Send this review to a friend
Disappointed  Time owned: more than 12 months
Audio on transmit and receive good. Pressure on ears a bit much.
Owned for 13 months then right earphone became intermittent (12 month warranty on parts). Moving the cable entering left earphone caused rhs audio to come and go. Took apart but couldn't fix cable entry . Also found wire nipped between plastic cover and body but that was intact (just).
To open earphone - remove cotton cover, pull off ear pad (carefully) revealing three screw heads. Remove screws and pull cover off (carefully) - fine wires in there. Phase reversal appears to be implemented with a couple of diodes.

K0LEJ Rating: 2/5 Nov 18, 2013 13:31 Send this review to a friend
Needs Work  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just finished my first contest using the ProSet Elite and these need some work! No matter how much I tried to adjust the headset (yes, I read the instructions), I couldn’t find a comfortable long term fit. The problem is that the headphone sits on the ear and not over the ear, so you have a constant pressure against your ears. After a few hours the pain got so bad that I went back to my Bose Quiet Comfort 15 (over the ear) headphones and a microphone. I tried adjusting the width of the of the PSE to loosen the pressure, but then they would slip/flop all over the place.

I called Heil, and the person I talked with mentioned that they have had enough feedback/complaints about the on-ear design that they are changing the design in a future production run to use over-ear pads. The problem is that the current batch still has the on-ear pads and the only “relief” (pun intended) is to purchase a set of ProSet Plus over the ear pads and install them. The cost of the ProSet Plus pads is $9 plus shipping, so it’s a fairly cheap; however, one should not expect to spend more money to retro-fit the top of the line headset to fix a design deficiency. So much for customer service, especially considering the oem cost for the proper ear pads is likely less than $2…..

Pain aside, how did they perform? I set my radio up as Heil suggested, and received excellent audio reports. The receive audio was also very good, and the ear pads did isolate some outside sound. The ProSet Elite has a phase reversal switch that Heil claims adds “spatial widening” to the sound. I really liked that feature as it helped break up the sound a bit. The build quality seems good, but the weight is a bit much at 12 Oz. There are several areas where weight could be removed if the design was changed slightly, and reduced weight would go a long way in improving comfort. I would also like to see a bit more padding, or a different type of pad, for the top band.

Would I recommend them? I would not recommend them in their current on-ear configuration. I’m hoping that the over the ear modification makes them comfortable enough to use for extended periods as the sound is pretty amazing.

K0LEJ

KA7SUM Rating: 2/5 Nov 1, 2013 06:31 Send this review to a friend
bad connections  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
audio quality is fantastic, very comfortable to wear,However, the soldering on connections in adapters and hand switch are at best poor,started having problems after a couple of months,i started re-doing connections.very unhappy with this ,after paying the (for me ) high price, I wish I would have saved my money

NH6RF Rating: 5/5 Sep 14, 2013 15:40 Send this review to a friend
Great station improvement  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Having to compete with outside noise at my location I opted for a headset that was reasonably priced and good quality. I found both in the Heil PS-6. I use it with both an ICOM IC-735 and a Yaesu FT-840. Although the headphones are not "noise cancelling", they do remove the majority of the external noise. Additionally, the audio reports I've been receiving are nothing short of great. The boom mic easily swivels out of the way and the headphones are fully adjustable for comfort. The optional foot switch took some getting used too but I got comfortable with it in a very short time. Having spent 24 years in the Navy as a Radioman, I've used my share of headsets. The PS-6 is by far the best I've ever used. If you want to save a few bucks, don't order directly from Heil.

M0JFK Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2013 02:50 Send this review to a friend
Heil PSE6  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Perfect bit of kit, great sound and comfort. I have read other reviews on here and I think at times some people complain just for the heil/hell of it.

KA7SUM Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2013 13:48 Send this review to a friend
Great Headset,very comfortable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This seems to be a fantastic headset,right out of the box,got the headset, the hs-2 PTT switch,and the kenwood adapter. very easy to use plugged it in and had to make no adjustments what so every on the headset,or radio. I am using it on a kenwood ts 440-S and a kenwood ts 820-S. It is amazing how much clearer I am hearing the other stations,I recommend this headset to anyone who may be alittle hard of hearing..

W9MIC Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2013 11:39 Send this review to a friend
Adjustable Comfort  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After reading the rave reviews here on eham, I decided to purchase the Heil PSE 6 when I purchased my TS-590 a couple of weeks ago. At first I was concerned about the tight fit that these headsets put on the side of my head, but then I read the instructions! According to the included instructions, the headband tension can be adjusted so that the side-of-the-head pressure is to your liking. I've read several reviews here that complained of the same issue -- my advice is to look at the instruction page that came in the box. They even have a picture of how to perform the adjustment to the headband tension. After a few adjustments to the tension, the earphones are very comfortable to wear for hours and hours.

Another adjustment I made is to change out the ON-the-ear earpads that come with the headphone with the Pro-Set Pro "Plus" ear pads (various Ham vendors offer them for under ten bucks). The Pro-Set Pro "Plus" ear pads will convert this headset into an OVER-the-ear set of headphones, which is more comfortable and isolates my signal listening from much of the background noise going on around the house. If you wear glasses, like me, the OVER-the-ear earpads are the way to go. The original ON-the-ear earpads press your ears against your head and pinch your ears against the bow of your glasses and your head -- ouch! Using the OVER-the-ear earpads does not press your ears agains your head. The entire earpad rest on your head without touching your hears. Thank you 9A6KTB for mentioning this solutions on eham and posting a link to pictures of the replacement earpads.

The original earpads came with a set of clothe covers that washable and might be more comfortable in hot humid conditions. These clothe covers won't work if you use the Pro-Set Pro "Plus" pads in an OVER-the-ear configuration. No big deal for me in the north, but it might be a consideration for other operators in warmer climates.

Unlike other reviewers, I don't mind the fixed position of the mic boom. I've had many other radio and PC headsets over the last 20 years. Many of them swivel out of they way for a sip of coffee or the occasional snack, but the swivel boom connection has always been the eventual point of failure. I appreciate the build qualify of these headsets. I expect them to last many many years of daily use. I really like the ample length of self coiling cord. It keeps my station tidy, safe and efficient without being too stiff that it restricts my movement from one end of the desk to the other in my rolling-swivel chair or to stand up for a book from the overhead shelf.

Signal reports are very good. I spent a bit of time with the compression, and equalizer setting of my TS-590. My voice sounds very natural coming out of my rig according to people who know my voice and who helped me with the settings.

In conclusion, I highly recommend this headset. Like others, I do wish Heil would include these over-the-ear earpads in the original box with instructions of how to change out the on-the-ear earpads with the OVER-the-ear earpads. For the price of this headset, I think it's a fair request. 73

NJ6K Rating: 2/5 Feb 7, 2013 05:33 Send this review to a friend
keep your Pro Set Plus  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
boom mikes too damn short wont swivel , the ear phones sqwish your head you canot wear these for hours like you could the por set + ... the Pro set plus is far more comfortable, why fix something if it isnt broken Mr Heil?