Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Zenith Transoceanic H500 Help

Reviews Summary for Zenith Transoceanic H500
Zenith Transoceanic H500 Reviews: 5 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $125
Description: Transoceanic tube radio circa 1951

You can write your own review of the Zenith Transoceanic H500.

AD4U Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2012 11:58 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: months
I have ALL of the Zenith Trans Oceanic radios. The batteries for the tube type Trans Oceanics are no longer available. If you want to use any of the tube Trans Oceanics on battery power try this. Get a 12V 4 or 7 AHr rechargeable gel cell battery. I got mine at a hamfest for $7. Spend another $15 for one of the little 75 watt 12V to 120VAC inverters. Mount the battery and the inverter in the battery compartment of the TO. Plug the TO AC plug into the inverter and enjoy. My TO's will operate around 100 hours before the gel cell battery needs to be recharged, which it can be hundreds of times.

KB0XR Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2011 05:56 Send this review to a friend
Mine is over 50 years old  Time owned: more than 12 months
My dad bought one at the Pearl Harbor Navy Exchange in 1952. We used to load it up with batteries and listen to it on the beach at Makaha on the north side of Oahu.

I inherited it when we moved back to the states in 1954. It sat on a shelf for many many years. I fired it up several years ago, replaced a couple of tubes and it still works okay today. A big heavy dustcatcher for sure but a lot of nice memories keep it in my possession.

KE5LDO Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2011 18:20 Send this review to a friend
40 years and running fine since Im got then for my 18th birthda  Time owned: more than 12 months
One thing I might add: Radio Shack still honors their tubes for life of the tube, except broken ones. If you have a bad RS tube, contact the HQ, and if it is not broken, they will replace it. I have a full set of tubes and spares, and three 1L6 tubes, the most expensive. Mine went with me from Junior in High school till today. I added a Zenith D7000Y in 1974, and both are doing great!

TERRYW Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2011 08:18 Send this review to a friend
Legendary  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my first tube radio. I'd always read they sounded good, but I wasn't prepared for the reality of it.

The sound quality is better than superb; all I can think of to describe it is legendary. How a mono speaker can sound 3D is beyond me, but there's amazing depth and distinctness between everything going on in the audio.

Mine has very good sensitivity using the fragile and expensive 1L6 tube and extreme sensitivity using the replacement solid state 1L6. The ss 1L6 does result, for me, in some FM images, so if you live in an RF noisy environment, the ss tube may not be for you.

The selectivity is very good. Even with the 49 meter band crammed into about a half an inch of the dial, I could still carefully tune through the range, picking out every signal a good digital portable could find and copy the station with no interference beyond a squealing het. Fine tuning through this range was also easier than I expected; gentle pressure is all that's required. You don't need micrometer fingers.

The alignment on mine isn't perfect, though from what I've read in forums, it isn't going to be. My 4-8 MHz dial is perfect, 31 meters is out of whack, and MW reads from 530 to 1480 instead of the 550 to 1600 on the dial. I can learn to do an alignment myself or live with it.

I removed the 5-gang air variable capacitor from an old and worthless Pioneer tuner and made an AM loop antenna. Resting the Wavemagnet (using its extension cord) against the loop gives me so much nighttime MW activity that it takes an entire hour to get from one end of the (slightly truncated) band to the other. That's just nuts and very very cool.

The H5oo is big, heavy, rugged, made in the USA, built to last, a looker, and has house-filling audio. This is one radio you can turn up without it giving you a headache or shredding your eardrums. The four tone control switches (treble-voice-alto-bass ) are a hoot and work very well.

Serious enjoyment for AM lovers, of a quality unattainable by modern radios. Grundig S350? Trash.

KC0ZZH Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2010 09:00 Send this review to a friend
Excellent vintage radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
With out any doubt in my mind this is an American classic! The H500 is a lot like the G500 before it with some changes in physical appearance. When properly aligned they are high end performers as far as semi-portable receivers go.

They not the most selective and they lack a built in BFO for SSB reception but for the era they came from they're top notch! The sound quality from these radios is just unmatched by today's solid state radios in my opinion.

In closing, if you find one in good to excellent condition that is complete, buy it. Even sitting inside a brick building it still pulls in quite a few shortwave stations with it's supplied "waverod". You wont be disappointed by this great American icon.