Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Grundig G4000A Help

Reviews Summary for Grundig G4000A
Grundig G4000A Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $99
Description: The G4000A is an enthusiast-quality world receiver, packed with the power to scan and lock-on to even the weakest Shortwave signals with rock-solid precision. The G4000A is capable of receiving AM, FM, continuous Shortwave, and even SSB (Single Sideband) for two-way Shortwave communications such as amateur radio operators.

Features:
• FM-Stereo; AM; Full-Shortwave (1711-29999 KHz)
• Dual Conversion AM/SW Circuitry With SSB
• Stereo Earphone Socket
• Stereo/Mono Switch
• DX/Local Switch
• All Antennas Built-In And Socket For External Shortwave Antenna
• Included: Owner’s Manual, One-Year Warranty, AC Adapter/Charger, Supplementary Wire Antenna, Wrap-Around Carrying Case
• Power Source: 6 AA Batteries (not included); AC Adapter (included)
• Dimensions: 7-3/4”W x 4-1/2”H x 1-1/4”D (198 x 117 x 33 mm)
• Weight: 1 lb. 5 oz. (596 g)
More info: http://www.etoncorp.com/product_card/?p_ProductDbId=6294

You can write your own review of the Grundig G4000A.

WB6TNB Rating: 4/5 Feb 28, 2013 00:33 Send this review to a friend
Very good radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I ran into the same screwup at Fry's at about the same time that KZ6D did. The store had three so I bought all of them. I sold one to a friend getting started in shortwave and kept the other two. One is always in the car and I use the other at home. It is quite sensitive and selective on AM and shortwave. SSB is very good. The FM overloads easily and the sound quality there through good headphones leaves a bit to be desired. The build quality also leaves a little to be desired but with careful handling it should last a long time.

A friend has the highly respected Yacht Boy 400 and we A/B'ed them. They were exactly the same. The volume control pot on one has gotten a little dirty. The only thing I can fault it for is the sound quality on AM and shortwave. Not bad but it could be better. My Kaito KA1103 sounds much better but the ergonomics are weird. As I am an AM broadcast band DX'er I like being able to go up or down 10 kHz by pushing a button. The Kaito will not do that.

The Sony ICF-SW7600GR is at least $50.00 more but has synchronous detection, a very desirable feature. However its sound quality is subpar for a $150.00 radio.

The G4000A will probably please most people. I do recommend it despite its minor shortcomings.

VE3MVW Rating: 4/5 Jul 28, 2012 04:52 Send this review to a friend
Pretty Decent  Time owned: more than 12 months
My Wife bought me one of these a few years back and has been a great travel companion.Very compact and has great ears.Use it mostly for AM DXing and monitoring the HF bands when away from the shack.The SSB works fine.It came with a portable wind up long wire antenna and AC power adapter.It did not however come with a carrying case but was able to order one online from the "Source" who was the retailer here in Canada who sold it.My only complaint is that the volume control gets very scratchy and requires periodic cleaning with contact cleaner (my FR200 also has the same problem) and when listening with ear buds the popping noise when changing frequencies can be quite annoying.Other than that a good buy.

KZ6D Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2011 23:38 Send this review to a friend
A great, affordable portable for general use.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Earlier this year, I was at my local Fry's when I spotted this receiver on clearance for what seemed like the unbelievable price of $32.95 so there was no way I could resist this little bit impulsive purchasing (for goodness sake... I've paid more for a single color ink cartridge for my printer)!

This radio is a dead ringer for the YB400 that I used to covet back in the mid-90's (though the 400 was originally black). From what I understand, they're the same radio inside and out, which is even more remarkable since the YB400 used to go for a whopping $200.00 (in 1995 dollars!).

Over the past year, I've migrated over to rechargeable NMHi batteries for all of my portable household appliances (I mean EVERYTHING from my TV remotes to the computer on my elliptical trainer), so I'm become accustomed to diminished battery life compared to the old "dry-cell days". This isn't the case with the 4000A, however considering that six NMHi AA cells will keep this radio powered (at reasonable volume levels) all day.

It has pretty good sensitivity to reasonably weak signals on HF & while it's ostensibly designed for SW broadcast reception (it'll pull in all of the powerful international broadcasters, as well as many of the not-so-powerful ones), I've actually put it to effective use along with my Ramsey 40m QRP CW transmitter... the two units combining to make a nice, humble little setup.

If there's an Achilles Heel to this radio, I'd say it has to be the BFO switch. It (or at least mine) has a kind of "mushy" feel to it; it feels like it's about to give-out, but as of yet has not. I'm also finding that the general quality of SSB audio produced by the G4000A isn't always to my liking (but that's a matter of arbitrary taste, I suppose).

This is a great receiver, even if one were to spend considerably more money on theirs than I did on mine. In my case, the foible of the BFO/SSB audio quality was easily mitigated by the rock-bottom price I paid (& thus, kept my rating at a solid five-stars).

KD0GPZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2011 11:22 Send this review to a friend
Great portable SWL  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just adding another positive review. Got my G4000A from Amazon for $77 shipped. I guess it can be had for less, but I'm not disappointed.
Quality look & feel, extras included, portability, usability, clock radio, good reception and sound quality.
Good intro to SWL or nice portable clock radio, I recommend the G4000A!

KD7H Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2010 11:57 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Special Price!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
At the present time--November, 2010--these portable receivers are selling for $34 at Fry's Electronics (store p/u only). Although an older, out-of-production design, the G4000A is an excellent portable all-band receiver at this amazing, discounted price. The radio is supplied with a wall-cube, earphones, wind-up aerial and manual, but no cover (although the box says it contains a wrap-around cover) and no batteries.
Sound--especially on FM--is very good and I found it easy to tune in SSB signals if the signals were reasonably strong. Weaker SSB signals were a little difficult, mainly because there is no usb/lsb switch.
Tuning steps of 1 and 5 KHz are convenient and the clock is very easy to set. This is an older design and there are "only" 40 memories, but that may be enough for most enthusiasts.
I gave this a "5" considering the price and features. In the $100 range, there are better choices. At $34, this radio eclipses a $50 YB-300!

SV2BWM Rating: 4/5 Jul 26, 2010 02:05 Send this review to a friend
A very good portable SW radio!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought it for my holidays but it prooved to be more than a trusted compagnion!! Full SW listening, smooth SSB tuning, strong audio, FM stereo (!), illuminated digital display and numeric keypad, dual time with sleep & alarm fuction, local/DX plus external long wire(!) antenna, earphones and AC adapter. Sensitivity is good but selectivity is not like an expensive transceiver's. All these in a nice price! Who needs more? 73's...