Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | ZeroFive Antennas 40M full size vertical Help

Reviews Summary for ZeroFive Antennas 40M full size vertical
ZeroFive Antennas 40M full size vertical Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $269.00
Description: The Zerofive 40 meter monoband vertical is a freestanding high performance antenna. The large diameter vertical element means more bandwidth and high wind handling.The multi section element is Built from super strong T-832 Drawn aircraft aluminum.The base tube is CNC machined from 2 1/2 inch 1/4 wall T-6 Extruded aluminum for maximum strength. A super heavy duty foldover mount allows one person raising/lowering
More info: http://www.zerofive-antennas.com

You can write your own review of the ZeroFive Antennas 40M full size vertical.

W5SRT Rating: 4/5 Nov 11, 2014 09:24 Send this review to a friend
Solid Product, user completed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I gave this a 4, but it's a very good product that I recommend.

As a new ham, this was my first 'real' antenna, having only used inverted V wire rigs before. I purchased this $220 unit to get me on 40 meters without the need for a tall supporting structure.

This antenna is a set of about 11 telescoping aluminum tubes that are slit at one end and are connected using stainless hose clamps, which is all pretty standard stuff. It does not require guying. What makes this product rather nice is the very solid base unit. The base unit is a piece of heavy aluminum plate with 2" stainless U-bolts to clamp to a mast, and also a heavy-wall base tube of the antenna element that includes a Delrin insulator to support the telescoping tubes. The feed point is an aluminum L-bracket with UHF female terminal.

To get this antenna installed, you'll dig a 10" dia. by 24" deep hole. You need to buy a 5' section of 1-1/2" steel pipe (the 'mast') and drive it into the hole you dug, and then fill the hole with about 200 pounds of concrete mix.

You make your own radial plate using 3' for 3/8" AC copper tubing, soldering into a ring. You need to buy an 8' ground rod, drive that into the ground and bond it to the radial ring and the antenna base unit. I bought 1500' of 14ga. stranded/insulated wire and cut it into 42 quarter-wave radials. These were stripped at one end and soldered to the radial ring using a propane torch and rosin core solder.

In all, I spent about $225 more on the extra stuff, bringing the total cost to about $450.

The VSWR was below 1.3:1 across that band. The default assembly yielded an antenna that was just a little long, but is easily shortened by sliding the tubes together a few inches and rechecking VSWR. In the General Class phone section of 40 meters, this antenna is easily under 1.2:1.

This antenna also runs in 15 meters, below 1.5:1 VSWR. Very nice.

Radio performance seems great to me (but, remember I am a new Ham). I seem to be heard by everybody on the 40 meter nets I've checked in on. Often times hearing all side the relay communications. The winds have been gusty this last week, and the antenna seems to easily take the wind load. I think ZeroFive rates it for 85mph.

Bottom line, I am very happy with this product. But note that this is about 50 product and 50 percent do-it-youdelf.

WR3KI Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2012 13:08 Send this review to a friend
Simply The Best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought two of 40m verticals about 3 months ago. Placed them out on the pier, with proper spacing, to be phased northeast & southwest. Using the Christman phasing system, described by ON4UN, Chapt 11. Using a single switch, to go ne or sw. Perfect antennas from Tom at Zero Five for this work. They stand up to the heavy winds & weather, we have on the Chesapeake Bay.
I have FIVE of Tom's verticals out in the Bay, & would NOT consider any other maker or vendor. Stick with what works. Biggest is 65 feet out 250 feet in the bay. You can hear me on 40 meters with the phased antennas, give me a call. 73's Nick

K3FGO Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2010 19:40 Send this review to a friend
Exceeded my expectations  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I needed a low profile antenna for a vacation QTH on an 80' bluff overlooking the Atlantic ocean on Cape Cod Massachusetts. I am used to a 2Ele 40 mtr yagi at 85' that I use at my home QTH 100 miles inland. Easy to install singlehanded, with a 1:1 to 1.2:1 SWR from cw to the top of the phone band. I am using the optional current choke and the results are spectacular. With just 1/2 doz radials, my reports are just like the Yagi results, from stations I've worked from both locations. Tom is quick to help with anything, and the antenna construction is commercial grade. High winds-no problem.