Reviews Categories | Transverters | Down East Microwave 222-28 ( New 2010 Version ) Help

Reviews Summary for Down East Microwave 222-28 ( New 2010 Version )
Down East Microwave 222-28 ( New 2010 Version ) Reviews: 2 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $359 or Assembled $479
Description: 222 MHz transverter, 25W out, <1.0 DB NF receive, 28Mhz IF
More info: http://www.downeastmicrowave.com

You can write your own review of the Down East Microwave 222-28 ( New 2010 Version ).

KL7UW Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2012 17:12 Send this review to a friend
Very nice - high quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the kit version last summer but just got around to building it at the beginning of the year. I was trying to be ready for the ARRL Jan. VHF Contest. I missed being ready for that due to missing a solder connection on one of the filters which required removing the board from the heat sink to access bottom side of the pc board. After that repair I had good Rx and good Tx drive. I did not install the 25w Tx module because I am driving a 150w linear with 11 dBm from the transverter. I was pleased to see 130w output with that level drive (specs for amp show 45 mw drive requirement). Without preamp the receive is very sensitive even with 80-foot transmission line to tower top. My nearest 222 station is over 70-mi away and I worked three stations at that distance on my first try. They were all running 20-25w FM transceivers with either verticals or small yagis.

I bought my first kit from DEMI in 1996; a 432-28 transverter. Been a happy customer with over a dozen units from them over the years. This new line of kits is a big improvement over their previous offerings. I am most impressed with the stability of the LO (holding within 5-Hz in transmit). I also have the L144-28HP (50w) and a L432-28 on order. For more info see my website:

N9LB Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2010 14:49 Send this review to a friend
Great Performance, Reasonable Price!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have one of the first of the "2010 Version" Down East Microwave Incorporated ( DEMI ) model 222-28 transverters. I purchased the assembled version.

Upon arrival, I took the bottom cover off and inspected the insides before I powered it up just in case something would have come loose in shipping. I found excellent quality both electrically and mechanically and nothing out of place, so I put the cover back on, attached interconnecting cables, antenna, and applied 12V DC.

I'm using a FLEX Radio HF transceiver that has a low level transverter input & output and a PTT out control line , the transverter was ordered to interface with that rig, and connecting everything together was about as simple as it can be.

The 222-28 transverter's sensitivity seems excellent and power output shows no compression when drive is advanced to a level 20% higher than stated in the manual. I set it back to factory specs, 25 watts - I don't want to over-drive it or to reduce the lifespan of the output stage.

I have six high power HDTV stations - including a digital channel 11 ( 198-204 MHz ) about 15 air miles away in Madison and another four high power HDTV stations - including a digital channel 13 ( 210 to 216 MHz ) about 45 miles away in Rockford and more than a dozen high power FM radio stations with-in a few miles, the closest is a 50KW FM station, WMGN, just 4 miles away. I can detect no interference at all from these high power broadcast signals.

Additionally, I can also operate on 2M and 440 with no interference to the 222 transverter ( your results may be different depending on your antenna proximity and power level ).

On-Air reports have been very complimentary - probably due to the transparency of the transverter and the fine audio quality associated with the FLEX Radio HF transceiver.

There are several improvements from the previous model:
- Better front end filtering and high level signal handling
- A 4-step sequencer is included
- ALC is included
- Nicer looking cabinet
- Eight-pin auxiliary connector for interfacing to other devices in the shack, such as:
Internal sequencer to external pre-amps and/or power-amps - if needed
ALC feed-back to rig - if needed
External or Remote control - if desired
External or Remote metering - if desired

I like this new version DEMI transverter so much that I have placed orders for matching transverters for the 144 and 432 bands.

When ordering any transverter, make sure you clearly communicate the type of HF transceiver that you will be using with it and the method of inter-connection and control.

Lloyd N9LB EN52