Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Hex (Bobber) / Multiband / Monoband Complete or Homebrew Help

Reviews Summary for Hex (Bobber) / Multiband / Monoband Complete or Homebrew
Hex (Bobber) / Multiband / Monoband Complete or Homebrew Reviews: 6 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $365
Description: Bobber Hex's are made of UHMW Plastic and have almost no metal in the air. The are available as compete kits, mono-band or multi-band and even in a home brew version.
More info: http://www.k5bob.com

You can write your own review of the Hex (Bobber) / Multiband / Monoband Complete or Homebrew.

AC4R Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2014 12:48 Send this review to a friend
Top Shelf Antenna !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

Easy to assemble, no cutting , measuring etc. I put my two band ,20m & 15m, bobber on a telescoping mast which is up about 25 ft. It has been up and operational only 3 days now and I have already worked 20 countries. The DX keeps rolling in. Poland, Japan, Netherlands, Switzerland, UAE, Slovinia, Croatia, Russia, France, Crete, Italy, Belarus, Austria, Spain, Ukraine, Hungary, Germany,South Africa, Romania, Belgium. All worked on the " Bobber" which is only up 25 ft. You cant beat this Hex Beam. You wont be sorry with the K5BOB Hex Beam !!

AC4R

K1SMA Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2012 06:47 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna easy to assemble  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have only had this up about 3 weeks and in the middle of solar storms. But, my first overseas qso was with a contact over 10,000 miles away and I only had to try twice before being heard in a pileup. I had a Gap Titan vertical before, and there is no comparison. I would have never heard (or been heard) let alone made the contact on the Gap. It is quiet, extremely sturdy, well made and easy to assemble. I picked this hex due to the bottom plate not being metal, and the design does not crush the spreaders ever.I am space restricted here and this is the perfect answer.

KE5HKH Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2011 17:53 Send this review to a friend
I was building a home brew hex when i saw the Bobber  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I talked to Bob several times. I even watched him assemble a couple beams. I was so in pressed i bought one. I replaced my Butternut vertical with the Bobber hex. It out preforms my Windom. love it.

W0RO Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2011 07:33 Send this review to a friend
Helped a friend with his - so bought one myself  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I helped a friend put together a Bobber Hex beam and I was so impressed with the engineering that ordered one myself.

Many antenna kits I have used over the years have been simply a bunch pieces put together saving me the time of hunting around for the pieces myself. The Bobber Hex is engineered and made with precession, definitely NOT simply gathering parts for me.

Because I had a homemade Moxon, I decided to convert it into a hex. I talked to Bob, and he fabricated a hub and element connectors to match the fiberglass diameter that I already had.

I think this antenna out-performs what Bob has listed on his web site, but that is just a guess. It has excellent directionality with great forward gain.

The hard part was the initial tuning. I think having 2 other people would have been very helpful. The issue was fighting the tension not really the tuning.

My wife and I have been using the Bobber Hex as a portable beam when trailer camping. Because it is light weight the two of us can easily get this up in the air. We even messed up and let loose of a guy rope and watch the beam bounce on the ground. No issue, we just put it back up and secured ALL that guys!

I'm going to order another hub (and smaller diameter fiberglass spreaders) making an even lighter weight, strictly portable hex. That way I can keep the current one up in the air and move it to so it can be premaritally mounted.

Besides this being a great antenna, It would be a great beam for small lots or RVing (even weekend trips).

It would be a great Field Day antenna too. The safety factor of not needing the heavy towers would make it worth getting.

NN2X Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2010 17:00 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
There many Hex Beams out there, and the design has been proven. What the Bobber Hex Beam brings to the table is the mechanical design, and the simplicity. The Hub is the key, along with the mast rings, are all none conductive, which makes only the wires are the antenna. As of a matter of fact since there is no metal components the normal formal forthe length of wires for each elements were different then the normal lengths for other Hex Beams

Performance...There is something more to the Hex BEam than just the usual 3db or 4db over a dipole. I can only tell you that signal reports exceed anything I would expect. I am working stations DX with signal reports that are beyond a typical 2 element YAgi I know the software models indicate otherwise but if you talk to anyone that has a hex beam they all they say is the same..I worked Dx when my HEx beam was 6 Ft above the ground. ( Set this in a garbage pail!) THe beam is up 28 ft right now and working like a charm! I don't know for the fact but i believe there is something in the design causes better angle of radiation. If not that I don't know what. I had various antennas before like 6element quad to supporting 20 meters, of course this antenna was great but the delta difference between this Hex Beam and the 6 element is not far about as I thought.

Customer support I called the company at least a dozen times, actually talking-to a life person! All support was outstanding with actual people skills! Also called on Sundays, and talked to the staff

In summary great antenn, outstanding support , and the performance is beyond my expectations

Best NN2X, TOM WRIGHT

In summary the

AD5EZ1 Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2010 20:10 Send this review to a friend
Having a Hex of a Time  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having a great time with this Beam, very compact, with great low noise, and very directional. Excellent for my duplex i live in. Made many contacts that prefer me using my hex verses my windom wire antenna. Very well made plastic parts with few stainless bolts holding this together. Very little metal signature. I would recomment to anyone with limited space.

Lloyd ad5ez