Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Icom IC-471A/H Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-471A/H
Icom IC-471A/H Reviews: 7 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 70 cm. (UHF) all mode base rig
More info: http://www.icomclassic.com

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-471A/H.

KA0SWT Rating: 4/5 Jul 8, 2011 21:47 Send this review to a friend
17 Bad Trimmer CAPS  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I think the radio is fine after it's running correctly. My repair guy said he's never seen an ICOM this bad. He fixed it, costs $220 and now fine. Cost $450 to buy, so in 1 year almost $700 radio. That's a lot even if it does have a CIV interface.

Dave
KA0SWT

N4UE Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2006 20:46 Send this review to a friend
Mine is wonderful!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I guess I am in the minority. I HAVE had problems with Icom caps in other radios, but never with my 471A (purchased new) or my 271A (e-Pay purchase). I use my 471A with a mast mounted preamp (ARR) and 60 elements at 100' and a Tokyo HiPower amp of about 120W. Works outstanding. If you can't work Tropo with a set-up like this, you need a hearing aid!

NE0P Rating: 3/5 Jan 20, 2006 11:05 Send this review to a friend
H model might be OK  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had a couple of these in the past, and I think this is the last equipment review I need to write for a rig I have owned! I used them mainly in contesting as I never seemed to catch a tropo opening when I had one.

This is a large radio by today's standards-about the size of the Icom 745 or 746. As mentioned previously, the radio has problems with the plastic trimmer caps going bad, and unlike the 271, there are a lot of caps to replace. I echo the statement about using MTS-top rate service for Icom gear. Also, if the RAM battery dies you have to have Icom reprogram the RAM board, or better yet, replace it with the ROM board available in several places for $50 or so.

The 471 does cover 430-450mhz so you can use it for weak signal, satellite, and FM repeater use. I had the H model both times and it did about 80 watts. However, these rigs seemed to be pretty deaf without a preamp. It is nice that you can get an internal PS with these rigs, which reduces the size.

I would not recommend the A model, as there are much better choices, like the Kenwood TR851A or TS811. The 471H might not be a bad choice given the higher power, but I wouldn't spend more than $350 or so for one.

N0TTW Rating: 4/5 Jan 24, 2005 00:39 Send this review to a friend
Works great  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought this rig on Ebay. It is the "H" model (75 watts). It had a problem on the 432 side of the band. It turned out that it needed the PLL caps replaced, sent it to MTS in Washington state (HIGHLY RECOMMEND MTS). When returned, it was tuned up and it worked great.

Wife just recently used it for the January 2005 contest. She was very satisfied in it's performance on that band. She also prefers it over the Yaesu 100D.

Why? because it was designed for one reason, to be used on that band. It is more flexible, larger buttons and it had a hot receive (.1uV) was the main thing. Audio was improved when an audio DSP unit was added.

I would recomend this unit from my own personal experience, as well as the 271 model (see review). Hoping to find it's 1271 (1.2 Ghz) cousin as I am impressed with the 471H.

N6AQ Rating: 4/5 Mar 14, 2004 16:33 Send this review to a friend
Audio problems  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought the radio not too long ago ans started having problems with the audio on FM, it is clipping and distorting. I adjusted the deviation pot and it cleaned up nicely. I came back about an hour later and the problem re-surfaced again.

VA3KS Rating: 1/5 Sep 7, 2000 16:24 Send this review to a friend
Warning!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had a lot of fun with this rig, but I
have paid a very high price for that fun! This
rig, along with the IC-271A/H has a serious
problem with the variable capacitors on the RF
board. After a few years, they fail, and must be
replaced. I forked over $395 CDN to have mine
repaired by ICOM-Canada. This is a know problem
detailed in ICOM's web page but do not expect
ICOM to be sympathetic. AVOID this rig unless
the caps have been replaced!

W9JCM Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2000 11:05 Send this review to a friend
good rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just received this rig only a few days ago and perfomance is great. Power is about 40pep ssb that what i will use if for mostly. Would like to find a preamp for it also. And the squelch is a bit touchy but everything else works great.