Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-948 ATU Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-948 ATU
Reviews: 1 Average rating: 3.0/5 MSRP: $169.00
Description: The MFJ-948 Antenna Tuner has nearly all the features (except dummy load) of the MFJ-949E -- the Worlds leading 300 Watt antenna tuner Full 1.8-30MHz Operation
Custom designed inductor switch, 600 volt tuning capacitors, Teflon insulation washers and proper L/C ratio gives you arc-free no worries operation with up to 300 Watts 1.8 to 30 MHz.

Tunes any Antenna
Tunes out SWR on dipoles, verticals, inverted vees, random wires, beams, mobile whips, shortwave receiving antennas.... Nearly anything! Use coax, random wire or balanced lines. Has heavy duty 4:1 balun.

Custom Inductor Switch
The inductor switch is the most likely component to burn up in any antenna tuner. MFJs inductor switch in the MFJ-948 was custom designed to withstand the extremely high RF voltages and currents that are developed in your tuner.

8 Position Super Antenna Switch
Lets you select two coax fed antennas, random wire/balanced line or external dummy load (not included) through your MFJ-948 or direct to your transceiver.

Full Size Lighted Cross Needle Meter
Has MFJs full size 3 inch lighted Cross Needle Meter (not a puny "meter" you cant read). Lets you easily read SWR, true peak forward and average reflected power simultaneously on 300 Watt or 30 Watt ranges. Lamp has on/off switch, requires 12 VDC or 110 VAC with MFJ-1312D.
More info: http://www.wsplc.com/cgi-bin/sh000002.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww.wsplc.com%2f&WD=mfj%20948&PN=MFJ-948_HF_Deluxe_Antenna_Tuner_w__Meter__Antenna_Switch___Balun_1.8_-_30MHz_300W.html%23a7653#a7653

You can write your own review of the MFJ-948 ATU.

M3ZZA Rating: 3/5 Aug 3, 2010 10:54 Send this review to a friend
My First Manual Tuner  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This was my first venture into a manual tuner. Everything before had a tuner built in. I bought a Yaesu 897D all bander plus the add on ATU that attaches to the side of the radio. I found the tuner to be too sensitive to HSWR. Other operators leant me their manual tuners and I was able to get a low SWR on 90% of the frequencies I tried.
So the hunt was on for a manual tuner. I live in the UK and I was encouraged to buy all different tuners and so, due to my money constraints, I bought the MFJ-948. For me initially it was doing the job properly and still continues to do so. It is just that the antenna selection knob does not line up with the bypass side of the settings so I am not sure if it is actually working! If I count the number of turns it is ok but I could be pointing to a setting two away from where I think it is!
For what I paid I am happy. However, I would not buy another one as overall it feels cheap and cheerful but for now it is part of my setup.
I sold the Yaesu FS-30 ATU for more than I paid for it. Eases the pain a bit. Hope this review helps. 73's de Mike