Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Icom IC-251A Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-251A
Icom IC-251A Reviews: 16 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $friend-$250.00
Description: 2m all mde base rig
More info: http://www.icomclassic.com

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-251A.

KC7JDS Rating: 4/5 Apr 27, 2005 06:45 Send this review to a friend
Very good for its age  Time owned: more than 12 months
Now if I was writing this back in the '80s when this radio was new, I would probably give it a 5/5. But it's over 20 years old and starting ot show some age. The speaker is starting to rattle. I've done a simple modification on it for an external tone box so I can hit the local repeaters (a good thing). Most adjustments are easily accessed if necessary, but it's usually not necessary. A real workhorse for it's age, design, and specs. I like it that I can use this at either the desk (110Vac) or mobile (12Vdc). I also like that Icom included 4 extra unconnected RCA jacks on the back panel for whatever. Just remove the top cover, and there they are, easily accessed. I used one for the tone box add. Good clean audio TX and RX. Simple controls, not too many extranious bells & whistles. A radio that is intuative and easy to use.

KI3BU Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2004 08:54 Send this review to a friend
Excellent transceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this rig for about 18 months and have found it to be an outstanding performer. I originally bought the radio to have something with technology that I was more familiar with and that I could use on the air from time to time as well. After only having it a few days, I fell in love with the rig and it's performance and it has become my primary 2M rig in the shack. I have compared it's receive capabilities to a friend's IC-251A with a Mutek front-end and to my IC-746 and IC-706MkIIG and have found that it is real close in running with any of them. The IC-251A with the Mutek board was slightly better but not enough for me to be concerned about. This test was done with the same antenna (via a switch) and monitoring a distant repeater and a CW beacon about 60 miles away. Transmitted audio is crisp and clear with both the stock (HM7) mic or the SM5 desk mic. I use the rig primarily on FM simplex and local SSB and run it into an amp for a bit more RF output. There are no tones, only 3 memories and not alot of 'bells and whistles' but the rig is straight forward and is a top performer in my book. My Icom IC-251A will always have a permanent place in my shack.

G4UDT Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2004 03:38 Send this review to a friend
IC-251E  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this radio off eBay about 6 months ago primarily as it has the Mutek front end. I recently also bought a Yaesu FT-225RD with Mutek.

Both radios are similar in performance and the only possible downside with the IC-251E is that it has 100hz steps in SSB/CW whereas the FT-225RD has an analogue VFO.

The Icom also has a built-in switch mode PSU whereas the FT-225RD has a built-in linear PSU (heavy transformer).

M0BTZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2003 20:38 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love my IC-251 rig. Have worked a lot of DX with this rig on SSB/CW. Mine has an mutek front end board fitted which makes the world of difference and transforms the rig into a low noise, bombproof DX machine!!.
My IC251 is showing signs of overuse as the legends on the front panel are begining to wear away. This rig has nice ergonomics, very easy to use. This radio is beginning to show its age a bit but for me it will remain a golden oldie!!
I have the variable power mod on this radio which makes driving an linear amplifier a doddle.
My minor complaint is that isnt any memories on this rig to program in beacon frequencies but it is an old rig and for its day with the mutek front end board, it is a superb performer!!

KC0LRP Rating: 4/5 Feb 16, 2002 01:09 Send this review to a friend
got mine 1.5 mons ago  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
yea it has no bells or whisles, i got this at a local candy store. has a varable output on fm 1watt to 10watts,ssb is controled by mike,use a amp.on ssb as well as fm it be set as low as .200 watts with the trim pots have done this works great on fm using amp all& all very good older rig for someone just starting out .
73's kcolrp

WD8OST Rating: 4/5 Aug 10, 2001 16:23 Send this review to a friend
old-but good  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
had about a year. is a 2m all mode 10 watt radio. works fine I do use a amp. with it. I use ssb. only with it. not much extra in it but for me it is fine. ac/dc radio