Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Icom IC-551D Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-551D
Icom IC-551D Reviews: 5 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $480
Description: 6m all mode base rig

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-551D.

WA8UEG Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2013 07:50 Send this review to a friend
Great stand alone 6 meter rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I picked up a NIB 551D a few of months ago, it has the VOX, FM board and pass band (IF shift) tuning. This one puts out 91 watts measured on my Bird watt meter and the pass band tuning is very very effective. The front end is very good and all my front end overload problems experienced with other 6 meter rigs is non existent in the 551D. The receiver is superior to any 6 meter rigs I have owned and made better with the pre amp in the amp I use. I use either a Heil Pro headset with a foot switch (you need to homebrew a patch cord as Heil does not make one)or Astatic HD10 with PTT and receive great audio reports. Prior to hooking up the mics I used the supplied hand mic and also received great audio reports. Using the VOX feature for keying on CW is great and works well this along with the RIT makes the 551D a joy to operate CW with. Only a couple of complaints, the memory positions are locked so if I want to set one to 50400 to jump to AM I can not tune the 50400 area, this is overcome by using VFO A set to 50400 and using VFO B for the SSB or CW portion then just use the memories for FM. The other complaint is that the noise blanker is useless, it may work for ignition noise but it has no effect when using it as a base station as I do (the IC505 I have has one of the best noise blankers I have ever used for taming the 6 meter band and I thought they would be the same, there not). You do need to supply a 12V wall wart to maintain the memory back up, there is no internal battery for this purpose. This is not a problem for me using it only as a base but might be a pain if using mobile. All in all it is a great 6 meter radio and if you can pick one up in good shape I would recommend you do so.

KD5PNT Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2011 10:50 Send this review to a friend
6 metre all mode  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Have 2 , one with the FM board and one without . both are very good performers . have made 5 local contacts on FM and when the band opens should be a lot of fun . hope to find the 2 metre and 70 cm ones someday . the one without the FM board has the original PS-20 supply and the only thing it is good for is the built in speaker , it is a switching supply and was very noisy until something shorted . is not user repairable . it can be used with any 35 amp ext power supply . directions for that are in the manual .

K0IW Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2005 09:27 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
The IC551D was my first multi-mode rig of any kind after I got my tech ticket in 1997. I became hooked on 6m through it and quickly made VUCC with it, working Es, some tropo, and some meteor scatter. The receiver is a solid performer, though lack of filter options and true PB make it a little rough in interfering environments. The transmitter works well, and is quite clean (I have looked on my analyzer). A few years back I acquired an IC706MKII, then a Yaesu 736R and sold my IC551D and have regretted it until now, having just bought a 551D in brilliant condition. The receiver in the 736R is a bit better in general, especially on CW where I have a narrow filter installed, but it needs to be aligned frequently and it needs an amplifier for anything but solid Es openings. This is a great radio, especially for its generation.

NE0P Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2004 02:41 Send this review to a friend
Great way to get on 6!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked up one of these 6 meter monobanders recently to take mobile and to use in the shack as a dedicated 50.125 monitor. It turned out to be a little bigger than I though, so it was replaced with an Icom 706. Still, for a 20 year old radio this one does excellent on 6.

It is rated at 80 watts but I was getting 100 out with no problem. Both transmit and receive audio are very nice. The Passband Tuning on it is really IF shift, but will help in some interference conditions. Worked a few Es openings with it and got good reports. There is an FM unit for this rig which was an option, and is kind of hard to find. Also, the power cord has some odd 3 pronged jack on it, which I have never seen before. If you are getting one of these, make sure it has the power cord with it.

The only problem I had was that the rig was going into self oscillation at times. I opened up the case, tightened all of the circuit boards and chassis/ground points, and that fixed it. This is sure a nice looking 6 meter monobander.

K4CWO Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2001 18:20 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic performer for an  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
If you have a chance to pick up this all mode, 6 meter transceiver you will love it!!There is an optional FM board (no longer available from ICOM), that works excellent also. ALthough this radio is 25 years old,or so, everything works like it is just out of the box. I also own the 10 watt version (IC-551), and that is as excellent also. You can find these rare radios at Hamfests. Lots of fun on SSB!!