Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Watson Multi-Ranger 9 Help

Reviews Summary for Watson Multi-Ranger 9
Watson Multi-Ranger 9 Reviews: 8 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $60
Description: 9 band HF/VHF/UHF mobile aerial for SO-239 mount
More info: http://www.wsplc.com/

You can write your own review of the Watson Multi-Ranger 9.

EI4KE Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2013 05:00 Send this review to a friend
It works  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Now, it's not an Atas 120a but it's cheap and works,,,, I set the antenna up with an analyser for a best swr possible on all bands with a 53 inch low band taxi whip in the fixed full out position. Ok, so then I bought a MFJ901b tuner, small and cheap for mobile use and now having put all the atu setting on a wee card for quick band changes I,m good to go, just change the link cable and tune up..... it will tune most bands with the link in the 40m position but due to it's limitations, change the link over and use it 10-40,,, not much good on 80m but then we can't change the laws of physics ...... worth the money? yes....

M0CES Rating: 3/5 Jan 1, 2012 03:21 Send this review to a friend
Tuning indoors  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just bought the Multiranger 9. Allen key to adjust the whip is already a pain. However, tuned the whip for 50mhz. Rig FT847 abt 15W. Antenna on a Sirio mag mount sat on a wooden table in the garage next to the radio and worked into Slovenia 925 miles away. Got a 57 report. I am 9m asl, in a City. How did that work? The magic band living up to its name.Outside the rain was lashing down and there the experiment ended.

G4YVM Rating: 3/5 Dec 22, 2011 10:50 Send this review to a friend
Good forthe price  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well, I've not had success on VHF nor on 80 but on 20 and 40 its ok. I've worked most of europe on five and ten watts on 20 and 40 but on ten metres it's not good. In fact it was effectively a dummy load!

For the price it's terrific, there are much better aerials out there but they cost four times the cash at least. I'm now going to build my own mobile whip rather thn buy one.

If you want to try Mobile HF this is the aerial, but it won't do when you get serious! The Watson proam mono bankers are terrific, the Ranger less so.

M0CRU Rating: 4/5 May 21, 2011 01:30 Send this review to a friend
worth the money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
i got it last week and it seems to perform well for its size.
ignore the lengths in the instructions(tune it as you normally would) on your favourite band.
tuning for the other bands is a pain(extending an retracting the whip) so i think i will make some extra fly leads measured differently for easier band hopping without the messing about.

GI7UIP Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2011 12:10 Send this review to a friend
great value for money  Time owned: more than 12 months
bought as a quick way to try HF mobile. Was happy with the price at 40, just in case i decided HF mobile was not for me :)
It works well on the middle bands, 20 to 6m. Bandwidth on the lower bands, 80 and 40, is very small as to be expected and I use a tuner to make these bands more usable. Now the big bonus....it works well on 2m, meaning I do not need a seperate 2m whip cluttering the boot lid, so happier xyl. Previous comment about being mad to use it on vhf are off the mark, at 2m it is simply a 5/8 wave, an antenna type in use by many others, in a one to one test with my diamond 2m 5/8 it produced no discernible difference in signals. On 70cms it is not brilliant but still works better than no antenna at all, it is sufficient for working local repeaters when mobile.
all in great value, good performer

M0JHA Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2011 12:34 Send this review to a friend
Not bad  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Being a user of the ATX walkabout after finally sorting the earth side out and being pleasantly suprised i decided to try one of these as there basically the same antenna only the multiranger is chunkier.

I stuck it on the rear quarter panel of my MPV ( which has lots of bonding done) set tap position for 40m adjusted whip for lowest vswr and away i went ..

Second call got me making contacts into Europe with varying reports. Take into account the bands didn't seem great as i left the house from my full wave loop i was suprised.

I wasn't running 100 watts but 5 watts from an 817.So does it work ? Yes. Is it worth the 40 inc shipping ? Yes i think so.

Not tried it on other bands as rain set in and my radio equipment sits in the boot with the door open and i sit on a small chair so not good ..

Yet to see if it tunes on other bands .

EI3GSB Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2010 03:49 Send this review to a friend
Cheap and effective mobile HF antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was really skeptical about the efficiency of such a small antenna but I bit the bullet and bought the Multi-Ranger 9 at a rally for a measly 35.
I keep it in the boot of my car and have made a number of good contacts with it using an Icom IC-706 Mk2G and LDG AT-7000 tuner. I also use a Diamond Earth Mat with it which I've connected to the trunk lip mount and have attached to the body of the car. I've worked a number of stations around Europe on various bands with very good reports so I'm happy with this antenna. I make no claims about its efficiency but it works for me... even on 17m!

MM0YET Rating: 4/5 Aug 13, 2010 19:56 Send this review to a friend
Great value, not as 'multi band' as they make out though  Time owned: more than 12 months
For 40, it's great value, there's no mistake about that.

HOWEVER - it's not what it seems. First of all, it claims 9 bands - counting the airband as one, which is a bit dubious.

Also, anyone who'd choose to use this aerial on 2m or 70cm needs their head examined.

So, it's really 6 bands - 80, 40, 20, 15, 10 and 6.

I've used this aerial on all except 15m.

It's fairly short, so sticking it in your car's boot/back seat isn't much of a problem, and it performs fairly well for such a short HF aerial.

Hopping bands isn't as simple as just swapping the flying lead's banana plugs though - because the whip itself also needs moved for each band too. I can see this quickly wearing out the grub screw, and it's a pain when you've mislaid the allen key.

I've picked a happy medium between 20m and 80m, so I can more or less band hop with just the leads, but if you want to try more than that, make sure you have an SWR meter in line or on your rig (or an ATU if you're not that picky).

Overall, it's cheaper than 2 hamsticks, and shorter. it's not great, but for the price, it's plenty good enough. I've got 2 of them.