Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Icom IC-551 Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-551
Icom IC-551 Reviews: 8 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 6m all mode base rig

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-551.

VK3LBT Rating: 4/5 Aug 15, 2012 04:28 Send this review to a friend
Good old unit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have just bought this radio from an ex Collins tech about 24 hours before this review, the radio has been extremely well looked after with very little signs of wear. After a wipe over and some contact spray on the on/off switch got this old girl on air and it performed faultlessly, a good sharp receiver for its age and about 15w out on FM & SSB, audio reports were very good both thru the local repeater (120 km away ! ) and on simplex.
Have given it a boost with a amp 10w input / 100w output which will be handy for SSB season.
I am not going to compare this radio with my FT847 as this would not serve any purpose as the technology is 20 + years apart approximately.

What I will say for a veteran radio it is still a sturdy and reliable backup for 6m, like all veteran radios it does require the occasional service and TLC. Very happy with this radio and does what I need, no frills, basic and reliable.

Cheers Barry VK3LBT.

N0VA Rating: 4/5 Apr 14, 2011 07:58 Send this review to a friend
Interesting 6M radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my IC-551 for longer than I can precisely specify but probably 12-15 years. Mine has the EX-108 passband tuning module but not the EX-106 FM module. Still I find it useful for SSB. I have it connected to a simple wire dipole in the attic but it's still amazing how sensitive is the reception of weak signals.

It's old tech and low-powered but I use it almost every day. I rated the 551 as "Good" in today's world even though, to be fair, it was probably "Great" in its time.

N3WXW Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2008 08:38 Send this review to a friend
VERY HOT RECIVER !  Time owned: more than 12 months
IF YOU WANT A HIGH PERFORMACE 6 METER ALL MODE . THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST.My station is a r-70,720a,551,251,451. Every one of these radios beats the performance of my Knwd TS 2000.But of course have lower power ,less options and take up alot of space.
Of course the 551d with its higher power would be better . I just use an outboard amplifer.

KD5JCE Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2006 06:27 Send this review to a friend
A very nice radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had mine for about 7 months, have worked many, many states. Great starter rig, in spite of it's age it still does what a radio is supposed to do. Using a KB6KQ halo antenna at 20 feet, this combo seems to give the most bang for the bucks. Since the 6m band is so sporadic, this rig will do me for a long time.

KB7TBT Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2005 22:25 Send this review to a friend
Excelent Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had mine for 4 years now and never had any problems, no mater if i was out in the field or at home. Worked many many grids!

M0BTZ Rating: 4/5 Mar 4, 2003 20:51 Send this review to a friend
Classic 6m rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have only had my IC551 about a mounth but I am impressed with it so far. Bought the IC551 to complement my ic251 and ic451 rigs. Has a lack of bells and whistles but this makes using the radio simpler. Seems to perform well but have not heard much activity recently to properly try it out though. Has a good front end although I use mine with a masthead BF981 preamp. I have worked some stations with this rig and have received good reports so far. This rig is getting old but it is still a good dedicated 6m radio. Recommended budget 6m DX radio!

KZ9G Rating: 4/5 Dec 16, 2001 20:03 Send this review to a friend
Good radio for it's time...  Time owned: more than 12 months
In the early nineties, I owned one for about 3 years. At that time the radio was approx 10 years old, I believe. The radio drove a Mirage brick using the PTT keying line from, I believe, a white molex or cinch jones connector on the back. The sensitivity was adequate. I worked 150+ grids with a small 3 over 3 stack, to include DX, like VK3OT, for two years in a row from Biloxi, MS. At the time, I had a ball with it. This rig would make an excellent beginners radio for weak signal work on 6M. Today's hf/vhf radios, like the FT-920, are head and shoulders above the receiver performance of these early multi-mode vhf rigs, though. Best of luck with the classics like this one. They're just fine. 73.

W2TMA Rating: 4/5 Mar 8, 2001 19:58 Send this review to a friend
Good Performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Only had the rig a few weeks, but so far am very pleased. Only wish the FM Board was'nt an option! Also how about a keyed line for amp control? They have to know you are going to run an amp.

Sensitive reciever and good sounding audio with an old style D-104 in line.

If you are looking for a solid 6 Meter all mode for a good price (about 200-300$ without the add on Vox, Passband Tune or FM Modules) this rig is worth a look.