Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Buckmaster 7 Band, 300W, OCF Dipole Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Buckmaster 7 Band, 300W, OCF Dipole Antenna
Buckmaster 7 Band, 300W, OCF Dipole Antenna Reviews: 23 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $192.00
Description: A well-constructed 7 band off-center fed dipole, designed for 75/80, 40, 20, 17, 12, 10 and 6 meters. The wire is 65 strand, 12 Ga. PVC coated wire, with EVERY copper strand tinned to prevent corrosion.
More info: http://hamcall.net/7bandocf.html

You can write your own review of the Buckmaster 7 Band, 300W, OCF Dipole Antenna.

AC2ND Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2014 05:49 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered this antenna three months ago. It was delivered in a reasonable time frame. The package was sturdy and protected the antenna nicely. I setup the antenna as a flat top with the broadside east west withe the balun at 35 ft above the ground. Its construction is top notch. Heavy crimps hold the end wires to the insulators. The balun is well sealed against weather. The SWR performance is spot on with the charts on their website, which is fantastic without a tuner. I did not make any adjustments or trimmings. If I heard stations over S9, I can generally work them. I reached the West coast of Africa, East Coast of Africa, Cuba, and in to central Europe and Russia on 100 watts. To me that is the magic of ham radio. Fantastic! By the way, the antenna is pretty stealthily and none of the neighbors have noticed it even though it runs along the property line.

KC0WEO Rating: 5/5 Mar 16, 2014 13:02 Send this review to a friend
The 2/5 was wrong  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used this dipole for years, until high voltage (lightening strike?) took it out. Out of warranty, I got a great price for a new one.

I can't help but notice the 2/5 review had it installed incorrectly. The end leg's are supposed to be 8ft off the ground, not 14. Almost double what is recommended. I do find this 135' dipole works as a omni-directional antenna with good coverage to both coasts including Alaska , Hawaii and the Bahamas.
Thanks to Buckmaster for allowing the "little guy" with tree's to get a nice RST signal out while barefoot w/o all the extra's a fixed income does not permit. My Kenwood TS-870 loves it also,73

W1SFR Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2013 16:13 Send this review to a friend
OMG...what a difference  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This antenna has totally changed my ham experience. As a new ham I started with a Par ends 40m antenna up about 25'. That was ok, but very limited and I couldn't get past Ohio with it. A buddy of mine has an air cannon and we shot lines over my 100' maple trees, and that's where the Buckmaster lives now and the results are amazing. It's basically a flat top "L" configuration so no where near the recommended inverted V, but hey...it really works. With a tuner I work all bands. I've worked all states with ease and so far over 140 countries in the 5 months it's been up...and that's with a Tech license so no 20, 30, 17m yet!!! Fantastic on 40, 80, 15 and 10 with the tuner. It's built to last and so far is the best $179 I've ever spent as a ham.

AA4AJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 30, 2012 14:52 Send this review to a friend
Really great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I like this antenna and the people that made it so, you can skip this other stuff if you want. I had a goal when I began this of removing the 450 ohm twin lead from my shack after 50 years. It is gone. I don't know if this antenna works as well as the doublet, but it did what I started out to do.

The quality is absolutely first rate. The thing is built like a tank.

Every installation varies by site. My SWR readings are with two tenths (some up, some down) of the readings in the companies SWR data for all bands except for 17 and 6 meters. Eighteen megs is one to one - dead flat. Six meters has a double spike with the highest SWR at 2.2. My ICOM rig wants a 1.5 to 1 SWR and the internal tuner works fine everywhere I go. The twin lead is gone.

The people at Buckmaster are really good to work with. They answer questions, provide insite, and make suggestions. You will not be made to feel like an idiot.

My installation is in open air. The center balun is about ten feet from its supporting tree and the elements float across the open yard to other trees. The balun is 35 feet high and the configuration is inverted V - sorta. I don't work DX but have done so with this antenna.

It really seems to work as advertised and should last a long time.

KJ4SSX Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2012 06:19 Send this review to a friend
Really gets out there!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had my Buckmaster from over a year now and it works well. In digital modes I have to turn my power way down to almost QRP levels since it gets out there so well. Working with a tuner I can work about any band I want.

AC2DD Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2012 16:55 Send this review to a friend
AWESOME ANTENNA  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased a buckmaster 7 band 300 watt OCF antenna for our events stations. So far we used the antenna at 2 events. One was a special events station for the 50th aniv celebration of Niagara County Community College and Balloons over Niagara. We were at ~600 ft elevation and the buchmaster was 25ft off the ground. We made 193 contacts on 100 watts. Contacts included 2 to Germany, 1 to the London Olympics station, and 1 to Croatia. The second time I used the antenna was at our Fort Niagara Lighthouse event this past weekend. We were at ~200 ft elevation, again used 100 watts, and the antenna was 50 ft off the ground. We made over 250 contacts and received rave reviews on our signal. The match was exactly as promissed by the manufacturer. THIS ANTENNA ROCKS!!! I will be replacing my G5RV at home after our last event this month. I would HIGHLY recommend the antenna, with out a doubt, to all who need a dipole. Twelve out of ten for durability, engineering, and performance. The only problem is a I have to replace it for next years events. Our club web site is: WWW.KC2YYL.NET.

WA4LIR Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2012 08:58 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna replaced a shortened G5RV after my upgrade to WA4LIR. Terrific results in the first month of use with the antenna up 50ft in an inverted V configuration as recommended by the manufacturer. No need for an external tuner with my TS-480.. Excellent DX result on 20m with 100 watts. Receiving strong signal reports on 40M SSB and CW as well after struggling with my earlier antenna. Very rugged construction and worth every cent of the investment. Couldn't be more pleased.

NF7T Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2012 20:17 Send this review to a friend
Highly recommended  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine over three years ago. The 1st winter I threw it on my roof to get on the air temporarily. It was covered in snow most of the time, but since it is made of insulted wire I had no problems. After that winter I shot it up and over my available trees. Which only puts it about twenty-five feet at the apex and then it lays pretty much flat across the other trees. The ends are about fifteen feet up. The swrs when measured with an MFJ Antenna analyzer aren't ideal. But I don't blame the antenna. Rather I blame my installation since it's far from ideal. I merely tweak the swrs slightly with a LDG auto tuner. It hears very well because I relay in several nets all of the time. The background noise is very quiet on this antenna. And here is why I say this. This antenna is within 450 feet of Hewlett Packard's manufacturing plant in Boise Idaho. No more then six feet south and twenty-five feet above their chain link fence. With all of the electrical interference they "may" generate, I hear very little on the air. Yet I have no problem working Asiatic Russia or any other DX. So even with the less then ideal location I'm very pleased with the antenna. As a matter of fact I was shocked at the very high quality construction of this antenna. I was a little hesitant in spending this much money on the antenna. But after seeing the high quality and experiencing it for over three years. I would buy another one in a heart beat.

KB0VXN Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2012 19:00 Send this review to a friend
Nice antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I put this antenna up one year ago in what I thought was just a temporary but far from ideal installation. I have had great luck with it. (Over a hundred countries and all continents just running my Kenwood ts 2000 barefoot). Very handy to me to be able to operate on so many bands on one affordable antenna. It seems to be well constructed and has held up well to ice and wind out here on the prairie. I would buy another if something happened to it.

KD8PH Rating: 2/5 Jan 30, 2012 21:08 Send this review to a friend
Maybe I got a bad one  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I put this up on a nice pulley system suspended w/ dacron line about 40' up a huge tree, and the ends are both about 14' high, each tethered via additional dacron to a pulley / counterweight to trees at least 30' away from the wire ends; when trees sway the counterweight keeps light tension. There's no metallic objects or other infrastructure nearby. Fifty feet away from the short end is a lake shore but I don't think that should have any drastic effect. I have a 50' length of professionally made RG213 coming straight down from the balun temporarily to a wood table where I hooked up an analyzer and it showed it marginally usable on small portions of the amateur 40,20 & 10 meter bands, the rest were totally unusable. I then borrowed a VNA so I could sweep it, and it pretty much confirmed the first analyzer. I also verified the RG213, then hooked up directly to the balun (even tho it was lowered down to eyeball level that time) Everything was reasonably consistent. So I'm sending this back to Buck, hoping they will send me a new one verified as performing as advertised. I want to use this when I get my KX3 and I need a well performing OCF.