Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Buckmaster 7 Band, 300W, OCF Dipole Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Buckmaster 7 Band, 300W, OCF Dipole Antenna
Buckmaster 7 Band, 300W, OCF Dipole Antenna Reviews: 28 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $192.00
Description: A well-constructed 7 band off-center fed dipole, designed for 75/80, 40, 20, 17, 12, 10 and 6 meters. The wire is 65 strand, 12 Ga. PVC coated wire, with EVERY copper strand tinned to prevent corrosion.
More info: http://hamcall.net/7bandocf.html

You can write your own review of the Buckmaster 7 Band, 300W, OCF Dipole Antenna.

K4JAR Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2016 10:53 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
First of all I am limited on what type of antenna I can use where I live. There are no trees and there is the Atlantic ocean 200 ft away to my east. Metal has no life expectancy here at all, aluminum returns to mother nature in a few years because of the salt air and steel or stainless does no better. We have 30-40 mph winds for days at a time many times per year and the occasional hurricane zips past. I have been using this 7 band antenna for 8 years now and not once have I had to do anything to it. My radio has a built in tuner but I don't have to use it on most bands. I use only 100 watts through a mini rg 8 cable so I would be lucky to have 80 watts at the antenna and I can bust through the busy contest stations pretty easily. If I hear them, they hear me. If this antenna died tomorrow I would order another the same day. It's wonderful and the center is just 25 ft high and the ends are only 6 feet high and it works beautifully.

tim

W4MEC Rating: 4/5 Nov 18, 2015 06:49 Send this review to a friend
Good ant.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was given the 7 band ant as a cast off and was quite skeptical. In the dipole world, nothing works better than a ladder line center fed with a tuner which I have on the other end of my property to compare it to, but was surprised it works as well as it does. A comment down the line from a couple years ago said the ends needed to be 10 ft off the ground, that was a minimum. This ant does not need to be an inverted VEE only, a flat top is preferred if you have 3 good supports. The fellow with the poor SWR on 10 and 6, your 8ft ends may be some of the problem, get them up as high as you can, you can go around gradual corners to make it fit without too much degradation, just don't double back on its self. Another comment mentioned a height vs feedpoint impedance change, don't think this is right, Z varies from 73 to 50 as you bring it from a dipole to an inverted VEE, and will not approach 400 or 600 ohms just because it gets closer to the ground, but it may present an SWR that simulates an increased Z due to height, but it will be more reactive than resistive.

AE4PB Rating: 3/5 Jul 14, 2015 07:25 Send this review to a friend
It's Rugged but don't expect much help if it doesn't work  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the Buckmaster OCF 7 Band dipole and installed it at my QTH. Surprisingly SWR is good on all bands EXCEPT 10/6M where the SWR is > 5:1 at the lower part of 10m down to 2.8:1 at the top. 6M is 3:1 at the bottom of the band and 4.5:1 at the top. I contacted Buckmaster and they don't have any ideas at all as to what's happening or why. I've read glowing reviews where the install was over a house and worked all designed bands fine..

I spent a bit of cash to try and get a good install. Parts: Antenna, Max Systems 22' push up fiberglass mast, 50' RG8x from HRO, FT-897D, House with peak at 20', House is retangular oriented N/S.

Mast installed at the Peak of the house with 3' inside of the attic bolted to a rafter beam. This gives me an overall height of 39'. I have a Diamond DX50 installed at the top, the Buckmaster is at 35', coax is fed into the roof peak and routed down to my shack. The ends of the dipole have > 10' of para cord running to a 10' tall fence pole. The short end height is over 10', the long end is 8' above the ground but we noticed that the ground in that area is a few feet below the ground height in the front. We'll be adding at least 5' to that pole to see what happens.

My confusion is the fact most bands SWR is good and only 10/6m are bad. I'm hoping that adjusting the long end higher will fix the issues.

The broadside of the antenna is directed at approximately 45 degrees towards EU.

I'm VERY happy with the rugged construction of the antenna. Overall, it's worth the money for the quality of materials, but it's a close call to lose 2 bands and for nobody to know what the antenna actually does.

KD6RSQ Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2015 16:42 Send this review to a friend
Best OCD I have had  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This thing works perfectly, no problems what so ever.

KC3DPB Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2015 16:30 Send this review to a friend
Great Attic Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have this antenna in an attic. So far it has been working exceptionally well. I have had QSO's with 57 countries multiple times and across the US. It is fairly long so you do need a big attic. Stations always ask what I am running and my set up and when I tell them, they can't believe it.

AC2ND Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2014 05:49 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered this antenna three months ago. It was delivered in a reasonable time frame. The package was sturdy and protected the antenna nicely. I setup the antenna as a flat top with the broadside east west withe the balun at 35 ft above the ground. Its construction is top notch. Heavy crimps hold the end wires to the insulators. The balun is well sealed against weather. The SWR performance is spot on with the charts on their website, which is fantastic without a tuner. I did not make any adjustments or trimmings. If I heard stations over S9, I can generally work them. I reached the West coast of Africa, East Coast of Africa, Cuba, and in to central Europe and Russia on 100 watts. To me that is the magic of ham radio. Fantastic! By the way, the antenna is pretty stealthily and none of the neighbors have noticed it even though it runs along the property line.

KC0WEO Rating: 5/5 Mar 16, 2014 13:02 Send this review to a friend
The 2/5 was wrong  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used this dipole for years, until high voltage (lightening strike?) took it out. Out of warranty, I got a great price for a new one.

I can't help but notice the 2/5 review had it installed incorrectly. The end leg's are supposed to be 8ft off the ground, not 14. Almost double what is recommended. I do find this 135' dipole works as a omni-directional antenna with good coverage to both coasts including Alaska , Hawaii and the Bahamas.
Thanks to Buckmaster for allowing the "little guy" with tree's to get a nice RST signal out while barefoot w/o all the extra's a fixed income does not permit. My Kenwood TS-870 loves it also,73

W1SFR Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2013 16:13 Send this review to a friend
OMG...what a difference  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This antenna has totally changed my ham experience. As a new ham I started with a Par ends 40m antenna up about 25'. That was ok, but very limited and I couldn't get past Ohio with it. A buddy of mine has an air cannon and we shot lines over my 100' maple trees, and that's where the Buckmaster lives now and the results are amazing. It's basically a flat top "L" configuration so no where near the recommended inverted V, but hey...it really works. With a tuner I work all bands. I've worked all states with ease and so far over 140 countries in the 5 months it's been up...and that's with a Tech license so no 20, 30, 17m yet!!! Fantastic on 40, 80, 15 and 10 with the tuner. It's built to last and so far is the best $179 I've ever spent as a ham.

AA4AJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 30, 2012 14:52 Send this review to a friend
Really great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I like this antenna and the people that made it so, you can skip this other stuff if you want. I had a goal when I began this of removing the 450 ohm twin lead from my shack after 50 years. It is gone. I don't know if this antenna works as well as the doublet, but it did what I started out to do.

The quality is absolutely first rate. The thing is built like a tank.

Every installation varies by site. My SWR readings are with two tenths (some up, some down) of the readings in the companies SWR data for all bands except for 17 and 6 meters. Eighteen megs is one to one - dead flat. Six meters has a double spike with the highest SWR at 2.2. My ICOM rig wants a 1.5 to 1 SWR and the internal tuner works fine everywhere I go. The twin lead is gone.

The people at Buckmaster are really good to work with. They answer questions, provide insite, and make suggestions. You will not be made to feel like an idiot.

My installation is in open air. The center balun is about ten feet from its supporting tree and the elements float across the open yard to other trees. The balun is 35 feet high and the configuration is inverted V - sorta. I don't work DX but have done so with this antenna.

It really seems to work as advertised and should last a long time.

KJ4SSX Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2012 06:19 Send this review to a friend
Really gets out there!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had my Buckmaster from over a year now and it works well. In digital modes I have to turn my power way down to almost QRP levels since it gets out there so well. Working with a tuner I can work about any band I want.