Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Buckmaster 7 Band, 300W, OCF Dipole Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Buckmaster 7 Band, 300W, OCF Dipole Antenna
Buckmaster 7 Band, 300W, OCF Dipole Antenna Reviews: 28 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $192.00
Description: A well-constructed 7 band off-center fed dipole, designed for 75/80, 40, 20, 17, 12, 10 and 6 meters. The wire is 65 strand, 12 Ga. PVC coated wire, with EVERY copper strand tinned to prevent corrosion.
More info: http://hamcall.net/7bandocf.html

You can write your own review of the Buckmaster 7 Band, 300W, OCF Dipole Antenna.

AC2DD Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2012 16:55 Send this review to a friend
AWESOME ANTENNA  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased a buckmaster 7 band 300 watt OCF antenna for our events stations. So far we used the antenna at 2 events. One was a special events station for the 50th aniv celebration of Niagara County Community College and Balloons over Niagara. We were at ~600 ft elevation and the buchmaster was 25ft off the ground. We made 193 contacts on 100 watts. Contacts included 2 to Germany, 1 to the London Olympics station, and 1 to Croatia. The second time I used the antenna was at our Fort Niagara Lighthouse event this past weekend. We were at ~200 ft elevation, again used 100 watts, and the antenna was 50 ft off the ground. We made over 250 contacts and received rave reviews on our signal. The match was exactly as promissed by the manufacturer. THIS ANTENNA ROCKS!!! I will be replacing my G5RV at home after our last event this month. I would HIGHLY recommend the antenna, with out a doubt, to all who need a dipole. Twelve out of ten for durability, engineering, and performance. The only problem is a I have to replace it for next years events. Our club web site is: WWW.KC2YYL.NET.

WA4LIR Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2012 08:58 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna replaced a shortened G5RV after my upgrade to WA4LIR. Terrific results in the first month of use with the antenna up 50ft in an inverted V configuration as recommended by the manufacturer. No need for an external tuner with my TS-480.. Excellent DX result on 20m with 100 watts. Receiving strong signal reports on 40M SSB and CW as well after struggling with my earlier antenna. Very rugged construction and worth every cent of the investment. Couldn't be more pleased.

NF7T Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2012 20:17 Send this review to a friend
Highly recommended  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine over three years ago. The 1st winter I threw it on my roof to get on the air temporarily. It was covered in snow most of the time, but since it is made of insulted wire I had no problems. After that winter I shot it up and over my available trees. Which only puts it about twenty-five feet at the apex and then it lays pretty much flat across the other trees. The ends are about fifteen feet up. The swrs when measured with an MFJ Antenna analyzer aren't ideal. But I don't blame the antenna. Rather I blame my installation since it's far from ideal. I merely tweak the swrs slightly with a LDG auto tuner. It hears very well because I relay in several nets all of the time. The background noise is very quiet on this antenna. And here is why I say this. This antenna is within 450 feet of Hewlett Packard's manufacturing plant in Boise Idaho. No more then six feet south and twenty-five feet above their chain link fence. With all of the electrical interference they "may" generate, I hear very little on the air. Yet I have no problem working Asiatic Russia or any other DX. So even with the less then ideal location I'm very pleased with the antenna. As a matter of fact I was shocked at the very high quality construction of this antenna. I was a little hesitant in spending this much money on the antenna. But after seeing the high quality and experiencing it for over three years. I would buy another one in a heart beat.

KB0VXN Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2012 19:00 Send this review to a friend
Nice antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I put this antenna up one year ago in what I thought was just a temporary but far from ideal installation. I have had great luck with it. (Over a hundred countries and all continents just running my Kenwood ts 2000 barefoot). Very handy to me to be able to operate on so many bands on one affordable antenna. It seems to be well constructed and has held up well to ice and wind out here on the prairie. I would buy another if something happened to it.

KD8PH Rating: 2/5 Jan 30, 2012 21:08 Send this review to a friend
Maybe I got a bad one  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I put this up on a nice pulley system suspended w/ dacron line about 40' up a huge tree, and the ends are both about 14' high, each tethered via additional dacron to a pulley / counterweight to trees at least 30' away from the wire ends; when trees sway the counterweight keeps light tension. There's no metallic objects or other infrastructure nearby. Fifty feet away from the short end is a lake shore but I don't think that should have any drastic effect. I have a 50' length of professionally made RG213 coming straight down from the balun temporarily to a wood table where I hooked up an analyzer and it showed it marginally usable on small portions of the amateur 40,20 & 10 meter bands, the rest were totally unusable. I then borrowed a VNA so I could sweep it, and it pretty much confirmed the first analyzer. I also verified the RG213, then hooked up directly to the balun (even tho it was lowered down to eyeball level that time) Everything was reasonably consistent. So I'm sending this back to Buck, hoping they will send me a new one verified as performing as advertised. I want to use this when I get my KX3 and I need a well performing OCF.

KK4DVC Rating: 4/5 Jan 18, 2012 13:08 Send this review to a friend
Works well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It appears to be very well built, very rugged. SWR is flat 1:1 on 75, 40, 20 and 17 meters. It's 1:5 on 12 meters, and 3:1 to 4:1 on 10 and 6 meters. On 10 meters the higher SWR results in about 40-50 watts out from the 100 watt setting on my Icom 706M2g. So far I'm not experiencing any power coming back into the shack. It is hung almost 40 feet up in a tree with the ends going around and through a couple branches. We'll see if this is an issue when the leaves return in the spring. The background noise level is S-7 on 75 and 40 meters, quiet on the other bands. So far have made contacts to Europe, South America, the west coast and Canada on 10 meters even with the power folded back.
For an "all bander" that doesn't require a tuner this is a great solution. Oh, it also hears every well on 15 meters and the SWR there is similar to what I get on 10/6 meters. Very pleased so far.

KG4USN Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2011 18:05 Send this review to a friend
Works great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this antenna up for five years.
I have it up as a flat-top with the ends about fifty feet and the center down about 6 feet. I get better than spec swr on most of the bands, and I also find the internal tuner will allow use on the other bands too. I have worked most of the lower 48 on 160, and all over the world except Asia.If it fell down tomorrow I would buy another one.

KE4SWC Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2011 20:41 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the 7-band OCF installed at roughly 40' above ground - flat topped. It is fed with 80' of DX Engineering RG 8X. The antenna goes over my roof - not perpindicular to the roof ridge but close. The SWR is 1.3:1 on 20m and 1.6:1 on 40 and 1.8:1 on 80. It is 1.2:1 on 17 and 12 and 1.8:1 on 10m.

Out of the box it is almost a one antenna does it all product. Build quality is way above average. This is my first multiple band antenna and it may be my last :-).

KC8Y Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2011 15:12 Send this review to a friend
Super OCF Antenna !!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I originally had the OCF-4, BUT now I have the OCF-7 band (missed the 80/75 meter band)...BOTH antennas work excellent; even with my tuner, I cover full segments of EACH BAND [80, 60, 40, 30, 20, 17, 15, 12 & 10]...My SWR is never above 1.5...

Part of the reason the antenna(s) work so well,
is my tuner
...

N0YXE Rating: 3/5 Sep 11, 2011 08:58 Send this review to a friend
NOT TOO BAD.......  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I could never get the antenna to tune on all the bands, even with it's tuner. The Buckmaster is very rugged and should last a long time and the dipole has always presented the problem of finding thirty or thirty-five feet for a mast. If you think you deserve an antenna in your backyard because you've been a ham for nearly twenty years when you moved in and you participate in emergency operations that may save lives each year, give the dipole a try. When the HOA threatens court action, property liens, and verbal yelling in front of your house, get the hot oil ready. Or, send me a note and I will send you some info and pictures of my latest stealth install:

terryspaceship@yahoo.com