Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | Buckmaster 7 Band, 300W, OCF Dipole Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Buckmaster 7 Band, 300W, OCF Dipole Antenna
Buckmaster 7 Band, 300W, OCF Dipole Antenna Reviews: 23 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $192.00
Description: A well-constructed 7 band off-center fed dipole, designed for 75/80, 40, 20, 17, 12, 10 and 6 meters. The wire is 65 strand, 12 Ga. PVC coated wire, with EVERY copper strand tinned to prevent corrosion.
More info: http://hamcall.net/7bandocf.html

You can write your own review of the Buckmaster 7 Band, 300W, OCF Dipole Antenna.

KK4DVC Rating: 4/5 Jan 18, 2012 13:08 Send this review to a friend
Works well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It appears to be very well built, very rugged. SWR is flat 1:1 on 75, 40, 20 and 17 meters. It's 1:5 on 12 meters, and 3:1 to 4:1 on 10 and 6 meters. On 10 meters the higher SWR results in about 40-50 watts out from the 100 watt setting on my Icom 706M2g. So far I'm not experiencing any power coming back into the shack. It is hung almost 40 feet up in a tree with the ends going around and through a couple branches. We'll see if this is an issue when the leaves return in the spring. The background noise level is S-7 on 75 and 40 meters, quiet on the other bands. So far have made contacts to Europe, South America, the west coast and Canada on 10 meters even with the power folded back.
For an "all bander" that doesn't require a tuner this is a great solution. Oh, it also hears every well on 15 meters and the SWR there is similar to what I get on 10/6 meters. Very pleased so far.

KG4USN Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2011 18:05 Send this review to a friend
Works great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this antenna up for five years.
I have it up as a flat-top with the ends about fifty feet and the center down about 6 feet. I get better than spec swr on most of the bands, and I also find the internal tuner will allow use on the other bands too. I have worked most of the lower 48 on 160, and all over the world except Asia.If it fell down tomorrow I would buy another one.

KE4SWC Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2011 20:41 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the 7-band OCF installed at roughly 40' above ground - flat topped. It is fed with 80' of DX Engineering RG 8X. The antenna goes over my roof - not perpindicular to the roof ridge but close. The SWR is 1.3:1 on 20m and 1.6:1 on 40 and 1.8:1 on 80. It is 1.2:1 on 17 and 12 and 1.8:1 on 10m.

Out of the box it is almost a one antenna does it all product. Build quality is way above average. This is my first multiple band antenna and it may be my last :-).

KC8Y Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2011 15:12 Send this review to a friend
Super OCF Antenna !!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I originally had the OCF-4, BUT now I have the OCF-7 band (missed the 80/75 meter band)...BOTH antennas work excellent; even with my tuner, I cover full segments of EACH BAND [80, 60, 40, 30, 20, 17, 15, 12 & 10]...My SWR is never above 1.5...

Part of the reason the antenna(s) work so well,
is my tuner
...

N0YXE Rating: 3/5 Sep 11, 2011 08:58 Send this review to a friend
NOT TOO BAD.......  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I could never get the antenna to tune on all the bands, even with it's tuner. The Buckmaster is very rugged and should last a long time and the dipole has always presented the problem of finding thirty or thirty-five feet for a mast. If you think you deserve an antenna in your backyard because you've been a ham for nearly twenty years when you moved in and you participate in emergency operations that may save lives each year, give the dipole a try. When the HOA threatens court action, property liens, and verbal yelling in front of your house, get the hot oil ready. Or, send me a note and I will send you some info and pictures of my latest stealth install:

terryspaceship@yahoo.com

K6EIL Rating: 4/5 Aug 20, 2011 09:59 Send this review to a friend
Good 5 BAND antenna in less than ideal antenna site  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bottom line: I'd buy this antenna again in a heartbeat. It radiates well, with QRP (3-4 W CW) in my case. Observations: I was able to hang the antenna as suggested, that is, apex at about 35 feet and ends drooping to 8 feet above ground. My antenna site, however, is less than ideal. The top middle 50 feet of the antenna are about 20 feet above a second-floor wooden deck on my house, and they also are about 15-20 feet from the roof of the house. A total of about 80 feet of the antenna, the ends of both legs, are draped over tree limbs and go through heavily wooded yard. Thus, this is one "real world" antenna site, quite different from test conditions used to establish bandwidth and SWR data seen on the Buckmaster web site. FQs for minimum SWR in my situation are as follows--3.30 MHz (2.1:1), 7.37 MHz (1.1:1), 14.06 MHz (1.1:1), 17.65 MHz (1.6:1), 24.81 MHz (1.6:1), 28.95 MHz (1.2:1), and 51.5 MHz (2.9:1). [As others have noted, and Buckmaster itself emphasizes, this antenna is not intended for use on either 10 MHz or 21 MHz.] As indicated, the antenna at my QTH works fine without the need for an external tuner on 40 M (SWR = 2.01:1 to 1.2:1 up and across the band), 20 M (1.3:1 to 1.4:1), 17 M (1.7:1), 12 M (1.6:1), and 10 M (2.4:1 to 1.2:1). A tuner is helpful on the low end of 10 M, and one is definitely needed on 80 M, where SWR was 2.6:1 to 4.4:1 across the band, and also 6 M. My results on 80 M are not doubt influenced from the proximity of the antenna to my house and about 80 feet of wire passing through tree branches and leaves. Your SWR figures for 80 M probably will be quite different; some reviewers have reported no problem at all with SWR on 80 M. In any case, the antenna does radiate well, using only QRP, and I've had no trouble working DX. The antenna runs due E-W, with the longer end E, so I have major lobes pointing toward EU and mid-AF, minor lobes NW and SW, from my QTH that is located on Cape Cod. QSOs with EU are particularly easy to come by afternoons on 20 M and evenings on 40 M, not to mention 17 M, 12 M, and 10 M. As other reviewers note, the construction of the antenna is quite rugged, worth the cost of the antenna in my opinion, and I look forward to seeing how it will fare with snow and icing this coming winter. In short, this is a good though not perfect antenna, and while you may need an external tuner for 1-2 bands of this so-called 7-band antenna, it should work fine out of the box on most of the bands. I like the antenna a lot, and I definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a good multiband, wire antenna.

N5UMJ Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2011 15:48 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have to say, personally, I love this antenna. The service at Buckmaster is very helpful. I highly recommend this antenna.

AG6AN Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2011 15:08 Send this review to a friend
A great first dipole  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is my first dipole antenna and is permanatley installed at my QTH. The center feed point is 30 feet up and it works great. With just 100 Watts to the antenna, I have worked everywhere from Marquesas Is. to the Ukraine from my QTH. However, even though it says it is a 7 bander from 80-6, I have found that is more of a 5 bander. It is important to note that the manufacturer states that it does NOT work on 15 or 30 meters. It has below 2:1 SWR on 80, 40, 20, 17, and 12 meters with an antenna tuner. (1.1:1 on 40 meters!)But it does not work well on 10 or 6 meters. 10 meters is somewhere between 6:1 and 10:1, and 6 meters is 4:1. But I don't need 10 meters at this spot in the solar cycle, and for 6 meters, a yagi would serve better. I still enjoy this antenna using the bands it works on. For 15 and 10 meters, I just built a vertical antenna to solve that. It is does a wonderful job on 80,40,20,17, and 12 meters though. I would highly recommend this antenna for anyone who wants a good performing dipole.

KB5OK Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2011 14:12 Send this review to a friend
excellent  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I helped a fellow ham put up one of these antennas & we did initial checks on several bands. I liked what I saw, so I immediately ordered one for myself. Don't order from the factory, you can save a lot of money by ordering from Ham Radio Outlet (no sales tax if you spend over $100). I couldn't wait to get mine in the air. In about 3 weeks I put it up and the first contact I made was a group of Japanese scientists in Antarctica on 20 meters. The first thing that impressed me about this antenna was the quality of construction, it is top notch, it makes all the other wire antennas I've had look like junk. Try one, you will not be dissapointed & you will be telling all your ham friends about it. I now have the 300 watt version for sale & have up the 3K version. I wouldn't have changed, but I want to run about a kilowatt of power & the smaller one is only good for 300 watts. As far as SWR's go, they are almost flat on 40,80,& 20 meters & the rest of the bands I can tune with my Yaesu FT-1000D. Don't get me wrong, I would rather have up a monster Log Periodic,but my space will not allow it.If you have limited space, as I do this antenna will do just fine. It is a little pricey, but worth evry penny.

AD5EM Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2011 17:41 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought this to replace a G5RV (don't recall the brand, but it served well for a number of years)that fell victim to a windstorm. This antenna seems to perform much better than the G5RV. I'm in a restricted neighborhood and this is mounted under the eaves of my 2 story house. Works fine and exceeds my expectations. For the most part, if I hear them I can work them on my 100 watts. I might not be the first one they answer to, but they hear me.