Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Vertex VX-1700 HF Transceiver Help

Reviews Summary for Vertex VX-1700 HF Transceiver
Vertex VX-1700 HF Transceiver Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $990
Description: 100 watt HF Transceiver with optional ALE-1 card

You can write your own review of the Vertex VX-1700 HF Transceiver.

KF5HDU Rating: 4/5 Mar 20, 2013 12:46 Send this review to a friend
Rock Solid Performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First of all, if you are looking for a DX rig, keep right on moving. This model is built for the LMR market, and as such,is really tailored to "channelized" operation. It does have VFO capability, but you need to have a "field programmable key" that you can make for $3 or buy for $10. Many of the cables for the ft-817d work on this rig. There is no front phono jack, whichI dislike, you have to plug into the rear external speaker port, which is monorural. The on air reports have been outstanding. It packs a lot of punch. The receiver is awesome. As good as my Kenwood. This is a software driven transceiver,so plan on getting programming software. All of the buttons can be user configured. Nice rig!

W0JAB Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2013 09:31 Send this review to a friend
great rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my unit for a number of years now.
Got one when they first came out.

Let it scan the 60 meter band most of the time.

John, W0JAB

N9EMZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2012 08:17 Send this review to a friend
Superb!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
There is much more to this fantastic, little rig than related in the previous evaluations. Dig deeply into the Vertex CE-77 software (Win based) and you can adjust TX offset, filter bandwidth, take out the relatively few birdies; enable VOX, hotkey the buttons....I could go on and on.

It isn't memory-bound....you can also hotkey it for 0.1-10.0 kHz adjustable tuning via the Main Tuning Dial and speed-tune with the Up/Down buttons....and it will stay configured thusly without the programming cable. Just plug in the CK-11 dongle and fly it that way mobile or base after configuration.

Add a Heil HM-10 and get compliments on the audio quality even before widening the bandwidth with the software. As for RX audio quality, good right out of the box....thanks to 7-step filtration.

If you can handle the software part, this is something you spend $800 on (including CE77 software, CT-62 cable, CK-11 dongle, super heavy duty mobile bracket, & Heil mic, adapter, and cable) this before dumping money on a much more expensive rig....you've got $2400 worth in this tiny box.

The VX-1700 replaced a TS-940, TS-450, and an FT-897D in my shack. Try it, you'll like it....I promise.

73 de Sam

AC0MA Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2011 07:00 Send this review to a friend
Works well in my Stealth environment!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the 1700 for more than a year purchased it to backup my ts-50. First its a tank, I use HRD for most of my operations and you can tell the program it is either a 817 or 897 and you can use most of the features and have a bandscope.

Good ear on a par with my 480sat and ts-50. Contesting rig no... But, she does make contacts. My antenna situation is stealth, all homemade (because I'm cheap). It is connected to a 5 band multi-dipole in the attic. I work from Canada, to South America with ease.

It is a no-fuss take out of the box rig. I would suggest getting the CE77 programming software and the CT-62 cable you'll need the cable to run HRD.

G0JLX Rating: 4/5 Aug 25, 2010 05:46 Send this review to a friend
Not Too Bad !  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I got my hands on one of these a while back, but without the ALE card fitted, and I took it out in my landrover for a series of evaluation tests with a Taheel screwdriver and four 35' groundplanes. The rig needs a 12v DC supply at 22A or so for full power.

The radio has 200 memories available for programming in up to 5 banks, each bank can have up to the remaining balance (so if you set bank A to 100 channels, there are 100 left to share out as you please).

Each memory channel can be programmed in terms of frequency, mode and any 'clarifier' offset, right across the whole of the HF band from 1.5 MHz to 30 MHz. Or the operator can elect to use the VFO direct and frequencies can be set using either the direct keypad entry or the rotary dial (steps can be 1kHz, 100Hz or 10Hz).

Under 4 Mhz, output is up to 125 watts PEP SSB, and from 4 MHz to 30 MHz, 100 watts.

Operational modes are SSB (USB or LSB), CW, J2B and AM (lower carrier level).

I used the radio on SSB mostly and some CW, and was very impressed with it all.

I found the combo of rig and antenna impressive, working a 4X station and receiveing a 57 report from my landrover one day on 20m with ease. Audio quality was reported as commendable.

I did not have the ALE-1 card fitted during this period, and it was not until August 2010 that I got an ALE card fitted and then started discovering the problems surrounding a lack of interoperability with MIL-STD-188-141B / green radios. The VX-1700 to VX-1700 ALE works, as the ALE card was implemented at the behest of some obscure Japenese agency for this type of ALE comms, and inter-op with Harris 5800 radios for example was not considered (and, according to other sources, will not be either).

To date, I have achieved linking with PCALE on 80m here in the UK and am conducting a series of tests on 20m, 17m and 15m to see what else I can make it link with.

Radio 4/5
ALE 3/5

Will update this report as progress is made.

Best 73