Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Kenwood TH-D7A/E Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TH-D7A/E
Kenwood TH-D7A/E Reviews: 22 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $429
Description: 2m/70cm dual band handie talkie w/TNC for packet and APRS
More info: http://www.kenwood.com/i/products/info/amateur.html

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TH-D7A/E.

KC9AXZ Rating: 3/5 Feb 26, 2005 11:13 Send this review to a friend
It's a keeper, BUT...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got my D7A(G) in the past 2 weeks. So far it is a nice radio. I'm happy with it over all. I bought it mainly for APRS use around the home. Since I already have a home APRS station, the "EL" power setting is more than good enough for getting to my higher powered "RELAY". The radio also worked just fine getting into the local packet BBS (3 blocks away), on "EL" power and ducky antenna from my basement shack. I actually did transmit voice with the radio for about 5 minutes the second day I owned the rig. The short voice QSO was simplex. I didn't tell the other station what rig I was using, until he was almost out of simplex range. The audio report he gave me after telling him was "I would have never known it was a HT". That audio report was great to hear. My main intent when buying this rig was mostly APRS/packet. I'm happy to hear it will also do voice very well. Now for the down side of the rig. The battery life is s#!+ to put it nicely. I'm averaging maybe 4-5 hours per 16 hour charge. In fact the battery lasted 4 hours on the intial charge. The second charge lasted less than an hour! There is no good charge indicator on the radio. It's turn it on and hope it doesn't die while you need it. In my recient charges, I get a little better than 3-4 hours from it. Keep in mind I run the lowest power level, and beacon on a 30 min basis. I can already see I need a replacement battery after less than a month of owning it. I emailed Kenwood support and got no reply. I'm really not happy with that response. They will hear from me in person at AES Superfest in April, about my experience with their support. I'm planning on replacing the OEM battery with a Maha battery and charger. The reason for the 3 rating is smiply because the battery life and very poor support I received. I'll review at a later time, and report the findings with new battery and feedback from Superfest.

Jon KC9AXZ
www.kc9axz.com
www.kc9axz.no-ip.com <---- UI-View webserver

GI0ZGB Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2005 03:30 Send this review to a friend
Chantilly Lace  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I''ve just taken delivery of my new TH-D7E and it is as delicate as chantilly lace. Fortunatly I decided to purchase the leather holster as recommended by other owners to protect against accidental damage or carelesss handling. Performance wise, it is a gem, with no sign of pager breakthrough even when hooked up to my Diamond X700H. Even with the standard antenna I can access all the local repeaters and a few in the UK mainland with full quitening which is excellent. The RX audio is very good, as is the TX audio using the SMC-34 and acceptable using the EMC-3. I also purchased a lengthy list of accessories which I havn't had opportunity to play with as yet and will report later on those items.
I found the controls easy to navigate, the keys much to small for my delicate little fingers, so I use a stolen small diameter pencil with eraser to push the keys, much better than pushing two at a time with clumsy fingertips. Certainly not constructed with Hulk hands in mind!
My initial impressions of this rig have been very favourable, and compared to competitors offerings I regard it as being the leader of the pack.

2E0DNP Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2003 15:10 Send this review to a friend
TH-D7/E  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Excellent radio i really enjoy taking this around Easy to use.. nice display .. having fun with packet...very easy menu.....

KD7PLU Rating: 0/5 Nov 27, 2002 19:14 Send this review to a friend
Failed in Service  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I setup the radio for dedicated APRS use, in a nice Pelican Case, with a Garmin E-Trex GPS, two 6v, 12AH SLA Batteries and a nice commercial grade SMA-BNC bulkhead pigtail (To mount external antenna on the case) Had the unit on TX every two minutes, 300ms delay, from Phoenix-Tucson and back again.

When I got back home, I disconnected the case, brought it inside, and to my dismay, the unit was so hot, you could not hold it in your hand. The SMA connection, cable, antenna connection and antenna were all checked and good. The unit was just as hot as a fresh-poured cup of coffee. (Worry)

I let it cool, charged the batteries up again and left the case ready for another trip. (Should have tested the TX on a local repeater but I didn't. Was just happy the unit appeared to function normal and still had RX)

It was about a month later, I went to the Prescott Fire and was having extreme trouble getting a position out. Nobody could see me! After changing out the antenna, pig-tail, using a DIRECTLY ATTACHED antenna, et. al . . I did a TX test to another handhelad and found I had about 20 feet range until the unit was unable to break squelch. (Blown Finals?) I assume so-

A trip to Kenwood fixed-up the unit. But It breaks my policy of never trusting equipment that fails in service. This one did. So it must get a big ZERO for putting my station in invisible mode when it counted the most. I'm very forgiving with poorly-built radios and always give fair reviews of equipment; Even better than others may. But I cannot offer good marks on any equipment that failed in service.

It's a bulky pile of garbage also, and for LESS than 2/3 the cost of this radio alone, you could get a new KPC3+, a new VX150 and a Garmin GPS with all the cables and have a better, more rugged, RELIABLE unit.

This rig gets the FailCon-5 award for going offline in service.

N8MPF Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2002 13:37 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I love this HT ! I'm having a blast with APRS ! The rig is easy to use and the menu system is easy to follow. When I first got the HT, I was setting it up and set it down to do something else and I heard a faint APRS station on 144.39 The station got louder and louder and then the
TH-D7 gave a beep ! to acknowledge the APRS packet. When I checked the LIST it was an APRS packet from the PCSAT !!!!! What a surprise ! All I did was turn on the radio, set it up, then left it sitting on the counter indoors and boom, my first APRS satelite reception !

Ron N8MPF

K7RTM Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2002 15:59 Send this review to a friend
Excellent HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had to *pay* for the "G" upgrade less than a year from purchase but I can't take a point off for that. This unit got me into the APRS hobby, which I really enjoy.

Wonderful radio, works great, buy one.

GW6CUR Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2002 12:42 Send this review to a friend
Excellet Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought My THD7E at a rally last year and extremely pleased with it.
Plugged it into my Watson WDB-30 Dual band amp and took it mobile to a local high spot.
I was pleasantly suprised to find the Radio did'nt suffer from any intermod which is a miracle compared to my old TH79E.
Overall a great radio, i found the Packet TNC very useful.
This Radio can also be plugged into you PC which makes it easier to program the memories.
The only pitfalls are no Crossband Repeat mode.

AL1P Rating: 4/5 Dec 24, 2001 19:46 Send this review to a friend
Great Functionality, Concerned about the ruggedness  Time owned: more than 12 months
Audio quality is excellent on receive - and on transmit apparently. APRS and Voice work great on Satellite (PCSAT, ISS, uo-14).
I was very concerned about the ability of this radio to take any kind of fall so I put it in the orange kenwood softcase...
about an hour later my son knocked it off a shelf and it took a 5 foot fall with no damage at all. I think it would have smashed into pieces without the case.

KY6R Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2001 11:27 Send this review to a friend
Makes APRS Fun  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I use my D7AG with UI-View, a laptop and the Delorme Street Atlas maps, and it works great. When I add a Garmin eTrex Vista, I will be able to send APRS without having to carry the laptop, and it will all fit in a small fanny pack. APRS is now a lot of fun for me.

N3CAL Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2001 11:22 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding HT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is the best HT I've seen in ten years! I have the latest "G" version and it performs great.
The menu navigation is easy to use. APRS works flawlessly. I've worked the following satellites from my front yard: PCSat, ISS, UO-14, AO-27. I'm truly amazed at what this radio can do for its size! I like being able to run APRS on one band and scan the repeaters on the other at the same time! Be prepared to replace the stock antenna. It's has poor reception with it. I put a sturdy SMA-BNC adapter and a Comet CH-75 HT Antenna on it and the receive came alive and its easy to hook into my mobile or base antenna with the bnc connector. I still need a quick charger for my battery. Overall it's a great performer for a HT.